Author Topic: Smoked Corned Beef  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Smoked Corned Beef
« Reply #-1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »
Had part of a St Patties Day Corned Beef leftover and decided to try a first time smoke with this.  I soaked in water for about a day, changing the water several times to remove the salt.  Then coated with pepper and a little PBC beef and game rub.  I was wondering about what IT to use as reading online sites, suggestions went from 160 to 200.  I choose the middle at 180 which was a mistake as the meat was a little chewy.  However the flavor was delish and was sweet/savory with a nice bark.  I know that brisket needs an internal temp of about 200 but what about a corned beef which in actuality is a cured brisket? My thinking was that being cured it would need less of an IT but not this time.  I will definitely try this again.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Smoked Corned Beef
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:17:40 AM »
10   That's beautiful, under done for my Kimmie but I would nail it!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »
Looks great! Will have to try this.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Mpls

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 10:55:31 AM »
Did you wrap this at 160, like they suggest for a brisket?  Also, did you hang it the entire time, or eventually move it to the grate?

Smoked corned beef, or pastrami for that matter sounds delicious on the PBC!  Good idea...

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 12:24:57 PM »
  I was wondering about what IT to use as reading online sites, suggestions went from 160 to 200.  I choose the middle at 180 which was a mistake as the meat was a little chewy. 

Here's the "genesis" recipe.  I've found that the IT isn't important and I've never sweated it, just allowed for the times.  Art (ACW3) is an ace cooker of this, too -- maybe he's measured it and remembers?   :-\

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=4199.0

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
Did you wrap this at 160, like they suggest for a brisket?  Also, did you hang it the entire time, or eventually move it to the grate?

Smoked corned beef, or pastrami for that matter sounds delicious on the PBC!  Good idea...

This was cooked on the grate entire time and was wrapped around 160.  Just needed some more time to soften up.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »

I was wondering about what IT to use as reading online sites, suggestions went from 160 to 200.  I choose the middle at 180 which was a mistake as the meat was a little chewy. 

Here's the "genesis" recipe.  I've found that the IT isn't important and I've never sweated it, just allowed for the times.  Art (ACW3) is an ace cooker of this, too -- maybe he's measured it and remembers?   :-\

Hub

This looks like a recipe to make Pastrami which is much more involved than just smoking a corned beef brisket.  I still believe IT is more important that time since there are so many variables for each cook and smoker set-up

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
 I think it was Tim that called it "Redneck Pastrami"(at least that's what he called my version  :o)  and I've just gone with that since. 
I never soaked it before cooking. I just rinse and dry it off. Add garlic power and black pepper. Sometimes I vary seasonings a bit. I  I typically pull it around 140 -150.
 I slice it very thin and vacuum seal it in lunch size portions an freeze.  We have a gas grill at work so I just put it on there frozen to warm.. Its one of our favorite sandwiches !   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Mpls

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »
I like everything about this thread! :P

Can someone explain why a meat like brisket is eventually brought up to an IT of 200 and the OP wished his corned beef was also brought to 200, yet others only cook it to 140-150?  I also recall the other thread on the roast beef sandwiches where that was to be brought to an IT of 140.

Is it the quality of meat, as in the better the cut, the more tender it will be at lower temps? Is there a rule of thumb, or just a personal preference kind of thing?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »

Hub

This looks like a recipe to make Pastrami which is much more involved than just smoking a corned beef brisket.  I still believe IT is more important that time since there are so many variables for each cook and smoker set-up

That's why I called it the "genesis" recipe since it is the same thing only different  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »
I start checking for doneness with a toothpick after around 170.......I never know what my finished temp is.......when it pulls in and out like butter, off it goes for at least a 1-2 hour rest......................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Mpls

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »
I start checking for doneness with a toothpick after around 170.......I never know what my finished temp is.......when it pulls in and out like butter, off it goes for at least a 1-2 hour rest......................
So regardless of the meat (pork butt, brisket, pastrami, roast beef, etc) that's what you go by rather than the temp?  Thanks Smoke!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
So regardless of the meat (pork butt, brisket, pastrami, roast beef, etc) that's what you go by rather than the temp?  Thanks Smoke!

You bet. i start checking after the stall. Temps are a good guideline but the probe test is pretty dependable  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Mpls

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 05:58:19 PM »

You bet. i start checking after the stall. Temps are a good guideline but the probe test is pretty dependable  8)

Awesome, I might have to do one of these this weekend.

Offline amshepar

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
I like everything about this thread! :P

Can someone explain why a meat like brisket is eventually brought up to an IT of 200 and the OP wished his corned beef was also brought to 200, yet others only cook it to 140-150?  I also recall the other thread on the roast beef sandwiches where that was to be brought to an IT of 140.

Is it the quality of meat, as in the better the cut, the more tender it will be at lower temps? Is there a rule of thumb, or just a personal preference kind of thing?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Brisket above 200 degrees indicates that the muscle fibers have been cooked long enough to break down and create tenderness.  203 is really the magic number.  There are some scientific enough blog posts all over the intenet showing the best temperature to cook brisket to. The roast beef is from a completely different part of the cow where the fiber to fat ratio is completely different.