Author Topic: Wind  (Read 2269 times)

Offline tn_5568

Wind
« Reply #-1 on: April 06, 2016, 05:03:55 PM »
How does everybody position their pbc in heavy wind for best steady temps. Inlet facing the wind, away, or to the side?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Wind
« on: April 06, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »
Up here in the mountains if we have heavy wind, we don't burn a thing...in the grill or in the cabin. I would suggest the same if the winds are that evil........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 05:20:03 PM »
Well here in Kansas if we wouldn't burn a thing in "evil winds" there wouldnt be a smoker in the state

Offline Mpls

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »
I used mine last weekend when it was cold and very windy in MN (27-35 degrees with gusts up to 40mph) for a pork butt that cooked for 10 or 11 hours without an issue.  I remember the vent actually being into the teeth of the wind on certain gusts.  Have you have issues with the wind?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 05:39:14 PM »
Well here in Kansas if we wouldn't burn a thing in "evil winds" there wouldnt be a smoker in the state

different up here in the mountains than in the flat lands my friend. Code enforcement actually cruises around on windy days sniffing for smoke  :(   Of course we had bad fires in 03 and 08 so gotta respect the mountain........... 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »
Wind will usually make it harder to maintain a higher temperature.  I face the intake away from the wind.   If you don't monitor the cooker temp you'll find it takes longer to cook.  If you monitor the temp,  you can adjust the lid to increase the temperature to what you are looking for.   It'll still be harder to maintain a temp but you can do it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:36:06 PM by Aclarke44 »

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 04:59:09 AM »
I usually face the vent away from the wind, but I have a lot of shrubs and trees in my backyard so there isn't too much ground wind.  If you face the bottom vent toward the wind, the gusts of air would stoke the fire making it burn hotter.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »

different up here in the mountains than in the flat lands my friend. Code enforcement actually cruises around on windy days sniffing for smoke  :(   Of course we had bad fires in 03 and 08 so gotta respect the mountain........... 8)

I get that. We had a bad fire a few weeks ago. Burned up about 400,000 acres. That was a crazy weather day in Kansas. That fire was southern part of the state with a blizzard in the northern part with tornadoes in between.

Offline soulprophet

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 04:00:33 PM »
I struggle with wind all the time being on top of the only hill in Kansas along the Missouri river. With winds around 15mph I'm usually around 220-225 on the PBC. As I type this I fired her up and  started strong at 280 and held for a few minutes so I opened it up to put the ribs and tri tip on and now I'm at a comfortable 223 with a lid off a bit. If I close it I'm usually around 170.  >:( Frustrating as can be! 

Offline soulprophet

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 04:04:21 PM »
I think some of my problem is it doesn't ignite the other coals so I moved some around and now its rising.....241!

Offline Mpls

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 05:42:17 PM »
I struggle with wind all the time being on top of the only hill in Kansas along the Missouri river. With winds around 15mph I'm usually around 220-225 on the PBC. As I type this I fired her up and  started strong at 280 and held for a few minutes so I opened it up to put the ribs and tri tip on and now I'm at a comfortable 223 with a lid off a bit. If I close it I'm usually around 170.  >:( Frustrating as can be!

Are the entire top layer of your coals lit before beginning your cook?  I know I screwed that up a little before finding this site.

Offline soulprophet

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »
Yes! I've tried various lengths with coals but I still have to shift the coals in the pbc to get it hot

Offline Mpls

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »
Yes! I've tried various lengths with coals but I still have to shift the coals in the pbc to get it hot
That's crazy.  Last week is was cold and extremely windy, way more than a 15mph breeze, and my pbc held 280 for quite a long time.