Author Topic: Kingsford Vs. Stubbs  (Read 4786 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Kingsford Vs. Stubbs
« Reply #-1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:39:50 AM »
Some here, myself included, do not like the strong taste of charcoal that seems to come from cooking on the PBC. In an effort to see if all briquettes are created equal, I bought a bag of Stubb's to see if it was milder in taste and the short answer is "yes". The ribs that I cooked on the PBC using the Stubb's had a lesser charcoal taste than the Kingsford but not a substantial difference to justify double the price so the search goes on ;)

I know using lump isn't what is recommended due to the irregular shapes and sizes but I think I will try using some Royal Oak in it to see how it fares.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:06:58 AM by Regular Guy »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Kona

Re: Kingsford Vs. Stubbs
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:13:55 AM »
what prices are you paying? I love Stubbs and find it has a nice wood grilled clean flavor compared to Kingsford.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
Well, there was a deal on the old bag of Stubbs that many got on clearance from Lowe's for $5.00 a bag. I was not so fortunate. I paid $9.99 for a 14 pound bag (even though the sign says 15#). I bought Kingsford for $12.00 for a 2 pack (before HD had them for $9.99).
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:24:32 AM »
One of the advantages of being older is your sense of smell & taste ages.
I can't taste the difference between lump, briquittes much less brands!
That's why when $10 double bagel go on sale I get several hundred pounds  ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »
One of the advantages of being older is your sense of smell & taste ages.
I can't taste the difference between lump, briquittes much less brands!
That's why when $10 double bagel go on sale I get several hundred pounds  ::)

Maybe that's true for some, I know Savannahsmoker can't tolerate the excessive charcoal taste now that he's older (if I recall correctly). I have been either cursed or blessed with an insane sense of smell and taste. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's a bad thing. I can eat something and taste whatever it may be and my wife won't taste it at all! I used to think she was messing with me, lol.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:28:03 PM by Regular Guy »

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 12:26:03 PM »
Well, there was a deal on the old bag of Stubbs that many got on clearance from Lowe's for $5.00 a bag. I was not so fortunate. I paid $9.99 for a 14 pound bag (even though the sign says 15#). I bought Kingsford for $12.00 for a 2 pack (before HD had them for $9.99).

I believe that two pack is a short term deal. I don't know why they had Stubbs labeled as "clearance" recently, I bought 5 bags but now it's back up to regular price. I guess it's not clearance anymore.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 12:31:27 PM »
I picked up a bag of Kingsford Lump Briquettes today at Staters. Have not seen those before...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 12:41:50 PM »
I picked up a bag of Kingsford Lump Briquettes today at Staters. Have not seen those before...........

Tell me what you think of those, I'll let you be the guinea pig :P

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 12:44:31 PM »
Sweetie and I both appricate you running the test and we hope continue looking for a mild clean tasting charcoal. :)

art
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »
Sweetie and I both appricate you running the test and we hope continue looking for a mild clean tasting charcoal. :)

art

I am going to try Royal Oak lump the next time I cook on it. I know Noah designed it around Kingsford but I see no reason why I can't do lump. It might not burn uniformly due to irregular sizes but I am going to give it a shot. I think lump burns cleaner, less ash and I know it's hotter but I am going to rig a stand to place a pizza stone on (or metal grilling steel) with a foil lined drip pan and see if that diffuses the heat some and allows drippings to drip into a pan versus the coals. I think that is a MAIN reason for the heavy charcoal taste. I will test it out and report back once I have something noteworthy to say ;)

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »
Funny last night I was thinking about it at our reunion. We were using Kingsford. To me they don't all burn the same but they have the same taste. I love it but I don't notice a Kingsford taste compared to others.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »
I agree Stubbs puts out a much better smelling scent.   Especially when first lit.  I also agree when slower cooking the flavor seems to be better with Stubbs.  I only use Stubbs in my PBC.  However if I'm grilling I don't mind Kingsford.  Once it's all lit the scent isn't as bad and since grilling cooks the meat much faster you don't get a big charcoal flavor anyway.

Something you can try....I know people who use a 25% lump 75% charcoal mixture in their PBC.  It may burn slightly hotter but the guys that do that like it.....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:57:41 PM by Aclarke44 »

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
I agree Stubbs puts out a much better smelling scent.   Especially even first lit.  I also agree when slower cooking the flavor seems to be better with Stubbs.  I only use Stubbs in my PBC.  However if I'm grilling I don't mind Kingsford.  Once it's all lit the scent isn't as bad and since grilling cooks the meat much faster you don't get a big charcoal flavor anyway.

Something you can try....I know people who use a 25% lump 75% charcoal mixture in their PBC.  It may burn slightly hotter but the guys that do that like it.....

I'll be trying some things, that'll be one of'em ;) Thanks for the idea!

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Re: Kingsford Vs. Stubbs, Roayl Oak?
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 03:54:10 PM »

I also am using Stubbs and find it better than KB all around and worth the extra cost.  Here in South Florida a local Walmart has Royal Oak briquettes @ $7.84 for          a 2 pack (2 x 12 lbs) which is a good deal.  I use Royal Oak lump for grilling and am very happy.  Hopefully their briquettes will be just as good.  On some web sites Stubbs is shown and discontinued so perhaps that is why it is being dumped by Lowes