Author Topic: I must admit defeat  (Read 2788 times)

Offline USCTrojan

I must admit defeat
« Reply #-1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:36:22 PM »
I thought I had created with one of the best dry rubs known to man until I decided to do a blind taste test with my friends. I prepared 6 slabs in total.  3 slabs contained my rub and the other 3 were seasoned with the all purpose rub from the Pit Barrel cooker co.

Everyone was amazed by the all purpose rub.

I admit that it does unlock the flavor of the meat. Very tasty, and it doesn't require a generous coating to get the job done.

I'm impressed.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: I must admit defeat
« on: April 10, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
Well back to the recipe board  ;)   i have made some good stuff in the past and some rubs the dog would have to lick his butt to get rid of the taste  ??? ???

Just keep pushing you will get it :D :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:02:52 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline USCTrojan

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 08:01:43 PM »
I hear ya.

I've been there as well.

Offline muralboy

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:07:43 PM »
Defeat is where some of the best victories come from.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »
The all purpose pit rub from Noah is tried and true but you just stay at it. Soon you will be posting the recipe and we will all be trying it out  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline amshepar

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:36:46 AM »
I thought I had created with one of the best dry rubs known to man until I decided to do a blind taste test with my friends. I prepared 6 slabs in total.  3 slabs contained my rub and the other 3 were seasoned with the all purpose rub from the Pit Barrel cooker co.

I admit that it does unlock the flavor of the meat. Very tasty, and it doesn't require a generous coating to get the job done.

I'm impressed.

My opinion is that both PBC rubs are good but too salty.  A lot of people love them. 

One thing you may try to do to improve your rub is the type of salt use.  It can make a HUGE difference. Regular table salt or kosher salt has been bleached to get the pure white color and actually diminishes the richness of the salt.

Try a natural mineral salt.  I use Himilayan pink salt almost exclusively for cooking, table salt, and for rubs.  It has a much richer taste.  You would find you don't need as much for sprinkling at the table.  For your rub it may enhance the flavor considerably. 

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 10:31:26 AM »
Do a search on this forum for "Jan's Original Rub".......I recently mixed some up and like Tommy told me "It can make an old brick taste good".........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »
USC Trojan,

Welcome to the forum from another Los Angeles based barbecuer. 

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline USCTrojan

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »
Thanks Bill!

Offline USCTrojan

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 10:46:15 PM »
Do a search on this forum for "Jan's Original Rub".......I recently mixed some up and like Tommy told me "It can make an old brick taste good".........

I will do just that!

Offline enassar

• Oven Dried Tomatoes - A personal blog about food and film
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »

I'm impressed.

My opinion is that both PBC rubs are good but too salty.  A lot of people love them. 

One thing you may try to do to improve your rub is the type of salt use.  It can make a HUGE difference. Regular table salt or kosher salt has been bleached to get the pure white color and actually diminishes the richness of the salt.

Try a natural mineral salt.  I use Himilayan pink salt almost exclusively for cooking, table salt, and for rubs.  It has a much richer taste.  You would find you don't need as much for sprinkling at the table.  For your rub it may enhance the flavor considerably.

I disagree here with you about the type of salt mattering much. Mineral and fancy salts are good for finishing and last minute touches on a steak or piece of tomato (I love Himalayan crunchy salt on both!). In a rub and for general cooking in the amounts we use them, pure Sodium Chloride in the form of Kosher salt (NOT iodized table salt) is the ideal salt for the cost. Using expensive salts IMHO in a pot of chili, a pot of water or a highly flavored rub is wasteful and pointless.
E. Nassar
Houston, TX - enassar(at)gmail(dot)com

www.ovendriedtomatoes.com
A personal blog about food and film