Author Topic: Huli Huli Chicken Experiment - Cooking Diffused  (Read 2168 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Huli Huli Chicken Experiment - Cooking Diffused
« Reply #-1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »
Well as y'all know, I've been blabbing my mouth for a bit about trying to lessen the charcoal taste in PBC cooks, especially with chicken as it drips juices (fat) down into the charcoal and that makes a strong smoke taste. Too much so for mine and the Mrs. tastes. In an effort to keep this from being a problem, I attempted to cook chicken today like I would on one of my Kegs. I wanted to cook it diffused to stop the radiant direct heat and also allow for use of a drip pan to catch the juices to prevent that unwanted smoke.

Did it work? Yes and No.

Here's the setup I used :

Pavers around the basket

Pizza stone on pavers, above basket

Oval Roasting Pan Bent To Fit and Foil Lined

I watched the temps via Tappecue and with this setup, the PBC ran at 250° on the nose after a slow climb. The result would be good for say a Boston Butt,  but w/o that radiant heat and that low temp, my chicken skin stood NO CHANCE at crisping up.

Here is the shot of the chickadee at 135°  Notice how it's lacking color and the some of the rub is still visible!

The PBC NEEDS the direct heat for chix, period. Unlike my Kegs, I can't get it to ccok right diffused, at least not at those lose temps. Taking out a rebar or cracking the lid may have helped here.

I ended up taking the chicken off and the rebar out then removing the pan and the stone and putting the chicken back in the regular way, attempting to salvage it. It was too late. Although the pictures may look good, the skin was rubbery and chewy. The meat inside was good and I can tell you that it was NOT nowhere near as strong as the last chicken I did (my first cook on the PBC).

No plated pics :(

I think that the next step might be to ditch the pizza stone and insert the grill grate with a drip pan on it. I don't know if there would be enough room to hang the chicken but that's the only thing that I can think of that might be a compromise between the two methods. Maybe another test is in order??

Stay crispy my friends.

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Huli Huli Chicken Experiment - Cooking Diffused
« on: April 17, 2016, 07:07:32 PM »
Still looks great !   :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 07:16:04 PM »
RG, how about a firebrick fence in coal grate using lump on one side and hanging your chix on opposite side?

Offline RG

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »
RG, how about a firebrick fence in coal grate using lump on one side and hanging your chix on opposite side?

Yeah, I may try that too. I was just dying to do a diffused cook on the PBC to get it out of the way :P

My mind is always working on how to do things a little outside of the box with all of my cookers. I have ideas in my head for my Smokin-It smoker as well. The only cookers I own that I have not tried to cook outside the lines are my pellet grills. Everything else has been tinkered with in some form or another, lol.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:06:50 PM »
That's what we do! ;) :D ::)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 08:35:52 PM »
Chicken sure looks good and moist. Looking forward to this ongoing experiment  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:16:35 PM »
What about a half moon shaped diffuser to catch drippings toward one side where the chicken hangs then build an really hot coal bed toward the uncovered side.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 09:27:42 PM »
What about a half moon shaped diffuser to catch drippings toward one side where the chicken hangs then build an really hot coal bed toward the uncovered side.

Maybe. I think I'll try Hiker's method next. 

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 01:20:21 AM »
A nice experiment!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker