Author Topic: Chicken skin  (Read 1980 times)

Offline JimmyV

Chicken skin
« Reply #-1 on: April 21, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »
So I'm really struggling with getting good crispy skin. It always seems to come out fatty and chewy or when I Crack the lid for the last part of the cook it turns into leather that you can barley tear apart. Suggestions?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Chicken skin
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
Trim the excess skin. Apply a liberal coating of salt to the skin. Then leave in the fridge in the open air overnight to draw out excess moisture from the skin. If your using a rub/seasoning with salt in it then give the bird a rinse first otherwise apply oil to the skin and season. Then get a well established bed of coals going and leave out one rebar. You can use one rebar in alternate holes. Crack the lid slightly the last 5 minutes to finish the skin. I found that this seems to give a good crispy skin from my experience.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Mpls

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »
I haven't gotten the skin to be "crispy," but it wasn't fatty or chewy either.  I took the suggestion from the others on here and got my pbc as hot as possible before throwing the birds on.  When I first closed the lid last weekend with a couple birds on there, it was just above 500 degrees.  The temp did drop, but both birds were done in roughly 80 mins.  Again, not "crispy," but I thought it was delicious.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:38 AM »
Trim the excess skin. Apply a liberal coating of salt to the skin. Then leave in the fridge in the open air overnight to draw out excess moisture from the skin. If your using a rub/seasoning with salt in it then give the bird a rinse first otherwise apply oil to the skin and season. Then get a well established bed of coals going and leave out one rebar. You can use one rebar in alternate holes. Crack the lid slightly the last 5 minutes to finish the skin. I found that this seems to give a good crispy skin from my experience.

This is the way to go. Muebe called it.  If you decide not to rub....a little squeeze of fresh lemon helps with crisping as well,............
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:53:20 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »
I would take the skin off after it's done and cut up and fry it with some bacon and onion.  just sayin    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
Try putting a very light dusting of corn starch on thge skin before putting your rub on. And I do mean a very light dusting. Shake off excess.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:28:20 PM »
A  light coating of mayo under the skin and on the skin with the rub works well too.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline JimmyV

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 05:00:18 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm going to give some of these tips a try this weekend. As long as this stupid rain goes away.

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »
You can search this site - the short answer is a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in with your rub and allowed to sit on the chicken pieces for at least an hour .