Author Topic: The Big Easy  (Read 95538 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
The Big Easy
« Reply #-1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:34:50 AM »

The Big Easy (TBE)  Is an infrared turkey fryer that CharBroil brought out just a few years ago. With the first Big Easy's running 18,000 BTU's and then dropping to 16,00 BTU's it's one of the finest chicken cookers out there.

With chamber diamature of 12" it's capable of cooking a 16lb turkey with the basket that comes with it. It runs off of propane and will fry a turkey just as good if not better than a deep fryer that uses oil. Now if you can find a 18,000 BTU unit get it cause they cook better then the 16,000 units. Not to say the 16,000 unit is a slouch but that extra 2,000 BTU's really helps out.

The Big Easy comes with a mesh lid unlike it's bigger brother the SRG which has a solid lid. The mesh lid lets heat out so the meat wont dry out yet it directs the infrared back to the top of the meat being cooked. They claim 10 min's per pound cooking time and with the 18,000 BTU unit that's very close the 16,000 unit is a bit off that mark (Believe me I cooked with both) TBE does have a few draw backs,
 1. You really can't smoke in it like a reg smoker it cooks way to fast.
 2. TBE has a dead zone (I call it) near the bottom of the chamber. This dead zone will cause the meat to cook slower on the lower portion than the top. This is why I came up with the Tommy Ring. The ring is used to raise the basket up a few inch's so the meat is out of the dead zone.         
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:52:35 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
The Big Easy
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:28:05 AM »
Nice write up! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: The Big Easy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:39:49 AM »
very imformative write up.  is there one of these 3 you like the most?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:37:41 AM »
I learned all this stuff from Tommy. He is my inspiration for my 1st CharBroil. I haven't looked back yet. I stared with the TBE, then got an SRG, then my BEESR. I love and use all of them. I have been known to cook several turkeys in one day. I can do a ton of wangs if I have to. Put them in and forget them. Walk away and have brewski's or cocktails.  I even bake in it.
I also own the 30" vertical electric smoker. Now that is a machine. None of the other brands are insulated like this one. We have a "bbq"... yeah right, place here in town. It's name is "Q", best part of it is the name. generic..yuck. They over sauce everything and call it Q. I make much better. No Q in this town, gotta make your own and I do. I wake ppl up at night with the smells..I cook overnight...drive them nuts even. I love it. If I had to pick, it would be the SRG, it does more, but I find I still use my TBE a lot too.   Pammie  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »
Pam your to kind  :)

All three cookers have their strong points and weakness'.  The SRG is by far the best all aound cooker of the three but if you want to really get a good smoke on a butt or other meat then the BEESR is your cooker.   Now if speed and crispy skin is your thing and do it at a very low price TBE is the cooker for you
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »
i would use it mostly for butts, ribs, chicken, chops and fish.  i'm still not sure.  i like the ease of the beesr and it get down real low.  but i cook my butts at 225 or so and if the srg get that low then i might go that route.  electric is so easy though.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »
i would use it mostly for butts, ribs, chicken, chops and fish.  i'm still not sure.  i like the ease of the beesr and it get down real low.  but i cook my butts at 225 or so and if the srg get that low then i might go that route.  electric is so easy though.
Now a regular SRG could be a bit higher. You see I made mods to mine, if you send me an email I'll show you them.
  Send it to  mybigeasy@gmail.com   .

If you are cooking for just a few folks, the BEESR is hard to beat.  You won't get a grill grate though.  :-[
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »
I will post mods soon for the three cookers, just have to find pictures
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline txtinman

• Lets Eat!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »
Hi folks, new guy here. I've been cooking with my TBE for several years, but have not heard of a Tommy Ring until I came to this forum. Where can I find pictures of it in use? Where to get one also?
Mike White
I can resist anything except temptation.... Oscar Wilde

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
Hi folks, new guy here. I've been cooking with my TBE for several years, but have not heard of a Tommy Ring until I came to this forum. Where can I find pictures of it in use? Where to get one also?
Here you go.
This is the Tommy Ring  and the first picture is the air nozzles I installed in my SRG to help air flow

TBE will need a 9 in ring that needs to be 2.5 to 3 in's tall

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »
txinman,Tommy got so excited he forgot to tell you the ring is from a spring form pan.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »
txinman,Tommy got so excited he forgot to tell you the ring is from a spring form pan.  Dee
Spring form pan is what most folks use, the 1st Tommy Ring was a 9in cake ring bought at a cake decorating  store to cut pizza crust out with ;D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline RAD

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »
A couple of months ago my wife asked me - "didn't we used to have a spring cake pan". I don't think so, maybe we sold it at the last yard sale  ::)
Love to cook and eat

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
A couple of months ago my wife asked me - "didn't we used to have a spring cake pan". I don't think so, maybe we sold it at the last yard sale  ::)

lol....  ;D ;D ::)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 09:19:49 PM »

That's quick thinking RAD.