Author Topic: Embeding YouTube video's in a post?  (Read 59264 times)

Offline DWard51

Embeding YouTube video's in a post?
« Reply #-1 on: December 31, 2014, 09:20:45 PM »
I have tried the "usual" and also used the search tool to try and find this info, but have had no luck.

How do I embed Youtube video into a post on LTBBQ?  I know it can be done, as there are a ton of posts with embeded video in them.  I must have missed something?

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Embeding YouTube video's in a post?
« on: December 31, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »
You're having problems because YouTube changed some of their protocols and the current embedding software installed for the forum no longer supports embedding properly.

That's also why some of the YouTube links have been broken in posts.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 12:06:15 AM »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 12:06:50 AM »
Looks like it still works to me...
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline DWard51

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 01:00:59 AM »
Guess it depends on the video?

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 09:03:02 AM »
Yeah... the one I posted yesterday just showed as a link, but it has worked in the past.  I think it is video dependent.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 09:08:37 AM »

How'd you do that?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »

It is NOT working fully like it should.

Trust me on this.  The plugin has not been updated since the forum started and needs to be to match YouTube's (and some other video services) current format.

It's on my list of issues but very low priority, especially since links are still working for the most part and since I'm down with Pneumonia right now)

<><
Member #68

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:41:56 AM »
This question was in a different thread, but best answered here:
**PS:  What is the BBCode for embeding video on LTBBQ?  I could not get the video to embed and since the original post was embedded, I know there is a way.

Currently, the Simple Machine Forums (SMF) software does not support any BBcode for embedding videos. Instead it uses a plugin (which needs to be updated - on my list).
<><
Member #68

Offline DWard51

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »
Well it can wait.  You need to deal with that Pneumonia!!!!

I know the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" logic applies, but the forum is running SMF 2.0.1 which is a 2011 version.  The current version is 2.0.9 as of September 2014.  Lots of changes and fixes from 2.0.1    When I last ran a forum on SMF, the upgrade was pretty painless as the function is built into the SMF admin functions.  However, I always made a full backup (including sql databases) prior to any upgrade just in case.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 11:21:17 AM »
Cliff it seems to be working for me with my iPad the way I have always done it through YouTube. They have a direct link that you can copy and paste from the top of the share options tab from the mobile version of their site. It looks like this [http://youtu.be/Xce9Z2-m-ok] I guess the other way your talking about I have never used.

Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 01:50:51 PM »
Cliff it seems to be working for me with my iPad the way I have always done it...

Yes, the "share" option, in most cases, should work fine, provided the share option is available for that video, on your device, and fully supported (requires syncing for some devices/software).

What's not working the way it should (and causing issues with some links) is the forum's video embedding plugin. How it USED to work is whenever someone posted a link to the video's page, the plugin automatically parsed the link and embedded the video.  That part is no longer functioning as it should, due to changes/updates. The plugin is simply sorely outdated.

Again this is something I was already aware of because it's been happening for a while now. We have some other updates planned, BUT it will require temporarily taking the forum offline, which is why it's low priority (there's more behind the scenes stuff that happens to keep the forum up and running than most people realize).

In the mean time, if YouTube's "Share" option is available, people can use it post (and embed) videos. But even that is not 100% guaranteed until I get the plugin updated.

Hope this makes better sense.
<><
Member #68

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »
Cliff it seems to be working for me with my iPad the way I have always done it...

Yes, the "share" option, in most cases, should work fine, provided the share option is available for that video, on your device, and fully supported (requires syncing for some devices/software).

What's not working the way it should (and causing issues with some links) is the forum's video embedding plugin. How it USED to work is whenever someone posted a link to the video's page, the plugin automatically parsed the link and embedded the video.  That part is no longer functioning as it should, due to changes/updates. The plugin is simply sorely outdated.

Again this is something I was already aware of because it's been happening for a while now. We have some other updates planned, BUT it will require temporarily taking the forum offline, which is why it's low priority (there's more behind the scenes stuff that happens to keep the forum up and running than most people realize).

In the mean time, if YouTube's "Share" option is available, people can use it post (and embed) videos. But even that is not 100% guaranteed until I get the plugin updated.

Hope this makes better sense.

Cliff when using the mobile web version of YouTube the direct link shows up at the top of the share options on every video I have looked at. This direct link does work with the forum. It does not show up however on the standard web page version of YouTube from what I can tell. You just copy and paste it to the post and the video shows up directly. So if you use the web version of YouTube for mobile devices it is possible to add videos directly to posts. I took a screen shot showing the differences. The first one shows the direct link circled. The second shows how the link is missing from the same video(Ahron's Sous Vide video)

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 04:00:45 PM »
Thanks Thanks muebe
i got it
under the name is a share when you press it it gives you an address for facebook and blogs use this address

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 11:08:24 AM »
Love those low carb pancakes AM, gotta try those.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)