Author Topic: Smells  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
Smells
« Reply #-1 on: December 14, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »
Today I have a pot of fresh green beans with country ham and onions cooking. Ran out to the store for some items for the pork chops I am cooking tonight. When I walked into the house all I could smell was the beans, ham and onions simmering on the stove. Sorta reminded me of my Grandma's house when we would come over for Sunday dinner. Man those were good times. Strange how some smells do that to you.

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Smells
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:57:18 PM »
Okay, I made my smartass reply to this on another forum but it brings up a point.  Many (if not most) of the people here are also members of either SOTG or Bradley (or both) and/or BBQ Brethren, etc., etc.  Do we need to develop some sort of etiquette to avoid duplicating or triplicating (or quadruplicating) topics?  If something is posted on more than one forum, to which do we reply?  Are we obligated to reply to the same post consistently across the various fora?  Is this one of those things that affects your forum "Karma" rating (whatever that is)?  Anyone besides me going to New Orleans for JazzFest?  Do you fix your own flats or call AAA?  Oops - got off track (if there ever was one).  I'm gonna go mix another drink and think about something else.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »
I am sorry I offended you on making this post on both forums, there are some taht are not on here but you can reply to any you want. I will try to not do multi post from now on.
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »
This is the only forum I am on now so I would sure like to see all the posts everybody has.
One of the drawbacks of being on multiple forums will be re-runs..........just gotta zing past em I guess.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »
I agree about the multiple posting on multiple sites. And with SOTG down so much, I have migrated here. I do like the chat tho. It's easy to use and a lot of my BBQ friends are here too. Everyone is very helpful too. Just like you want a site to be. Keep up the good work.  Pam ★*˚°。°
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
Because we are a new forum - I have asked several members to help us build content.That required them to pull from  And - because we have no intention of slighting the SOTG forum ( I still participate there too)  as this is not an "anti-anyone" kind of place.

So - Turtle, you have a point. But Ron has done what I have asked as has muebe, and others.

My point is, that during the building of membership, if we are ALL recruiting new folks from other forums - a lot of - maybe all - of this information will be "new". Of course - it will require some patience on our part, if we find that irritating or distracting.

But - here is a challenge to all of us kids: Start posting here with  your cooks first ;D - if you feel so inclined.  No one can tell you whether or not you can post elsewhere. And, whether there are responses or not is also up to the other folks reading - no real way to - nor any desire on my part - to govern that. I just don't know that it is practical, or in the spirit of "fun".

I visit several forums each day. And - I do see duplicate threads. I would like to see different info on different forums - sure I am open to suggestions from the users here if anyone has ideas.

And - just one last word about etiquette....If you feel someone has slighted you - or if you feel compelled to point out something that may cause another to be embarrassed, or uncomfortable. PLEASE - PM one another to discuss so that you can find out the true intent of a comment before you get your feeling hurt.

I like everyone on this site, and believe that most often - there is not an "intent to offend" in comments. It is usually a matter of how we phrase things when we write - that may not be received in the intended manner.

I will tell you all now that - if I offend anyone, it will be because of my sense of humor, not any actual intent to hurt someone or embarrass them.  I hope you will feel the confidence to PM me if you ever question my intent in anything I write.
So - my preemptive apologies are extended ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »
Okay, I made my smartass reply to this on another forum but it brings up a point.  Many (if not most) of the people here are also members of either SOTG or Bradley (or both) and/or BBQ Brethren, etc., etc.  Do we need to develop some sort of etiquette to avoid duplicating or triplicating (or quadruplicating) topics?  If something is posted on more than one forum, to which do we reply?  Are we obligated to reply to the same post consistently across the various fora?  Is this one of those things that affects your forum "Karma" rating (whatever that is)?  Anyone besides me going to New Orleans for JazzFest?  Do you fix your own flats or call AAA?  Oops - got off track (if there ever was one).  I'm gonna go mix another drink and think about something else.
Lord willing & the Creek don't rise I'll be at Jazz Fest for at least one weekend ;D
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »
LA: You know the drill; Bloody Mary at the Seahorse at 10:30.  See you there.

Everybody else (& LA, too): I wasn't trying to insult anyone or give them a hard time (There'd be no doubt if I were doing that).  I'm just a lazy (and usually confused) turtle and read slowly.  I understand the benefit of sharing but just get confused when I read the same thing on 2 or 3 boards and can't remember if I've already answered or seen all the pertinent replies.  That's my problem, not anyone else's but I'd just as soon not be so confused. 

Unfortunately there's no way around it.  I used to post smoking stuff on one forum and grilling stuff on another but kept getting requests to "cross over"  The real problem is that if you provide a solution to someone's question on one, you pretty much have to do it on the other so the members of both get to see the answer.  My issue is that I really don't have the time or energy to post or read the same thing three times.  I usually try to pick the forum that's closest to the topic (smoking, grilling, whatever) and do it there but now we're on a forum that covers it all.  I'll cope (as we all do) but probably won't deal with the same post more than once.  As a result, I know I'll miss some excellent information but that's the way it goes.

I'm tired now and SWMBO just got out the tequila.  We're done here for now.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 08:19:38 AM »
Turtle you lost a karma point with your first comment...

But got one back with your last one  ;D
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 08:57:47 AM »
LA: You know the drill; Bloody Mary at the Seahorse at 10:30.  See you there.

Everybody else (& LA, too): I wasn't trying to insult anyone or give them a hard time (There'd be no doubt if I were doing that).  I'm just a lazy (and usually confused) turtle and read slowly.  I understand the benefit of sharing but just get confused when I read the same thing on 2 or 3 boards and can't remember if I've already answered or seen all the pertinent replies.  That's my problem, not anyone else's but I'd just as soon not be so confused. 

Unfortunately there's no way around it.  I used to post smoking stuff on one forum and grilling stuff on another but kept getting requests to "cross over"  The real problem is that if you provide a solution to someone's question on one, you pretty much have to do it on the other so the members of both get to see the answer.  My issue is that I really don't have the time or energy to post or read the same thing three times.  I usually try to pick the forum that's closest to the topic (smoking, grilling, whatever) and do it there but now we're on a forum that covers it all.  I'll cope (as we all do) but probably won't deal with the same post more than once.  As a result, I know I'll miss some excellent information but that's the way it goes.

I'm tired now and SWMBO just got out the tequila.  We're done here for now.

Turtle...looks like you are just as human as the rest of us , regardless of your hard shell;)  ;D I do understand.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:07:11 AM »
The typed word can sometimes be taken differently than if said. I just try to be extra careful and keep everything positive as much as I can. Got smacked down a couple of times on my first forum and learned the hard way.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »
I hope you didn't let anyone smack Smoochy...no smacking...ever.   Pam   ★*˚°。°
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »
Smoochy is well protected ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »
Everyone, let's just have fun and enjoy our passion.  Phil
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Hub

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »

No "etiquette" is needed -- just thought.  If it would be of interest to the rather broad audience this new site is aimed at, it should be posted here even if you've posted it or something similar on another forum.  I am not offended by seeing the same or similar "stuff" because I open myself to it by reading or participating in multiple forums (fora?  :-\).  What makes a great forum is prompt and tight moderation, controlling the flamers and trolls and anyone else who doesn't play by the rules of the site.  I've abandoned or not joined several sites that seem to have a good concept but lack quality moderators and thus become popular with the wrong crowd and/or are censored by a commercial sponsor if something gets posted that doesn't fit his brand image.  End of sermonette.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN