Author Topic: Using a Tube Smoker with my Kamado..  (Read 29582 times)

Offline TexasRob

Using a Tube Smoker with my Kamado..
« Reply #-1 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »
Hello All,

I love my KJBJ, everything about it...but...once I bring it to temp (and can take a bit due to the ceramics) and have ribs going, I feel that I'm not getting enough smoke to my cook for the entire time. It has been suggested to layer lump, chunks of wood, them lump. I currently add chunks when the grate temp is where I want it and add deflectors and food, this of course drops my temp a bit and feel like the wood is burning off in the initial stage and none left for the rest of the cook. It would be a task to move food, grate, deflectors add wood and re-assemble it all.

Then somebody suggested an A-MAZE -N Tube to add on the grate for my rib cooks to help out with the smoke for the length or the majority of my cook.  Just wondering if anyone who uses a Kamado has adopted to using a Tube Smoker to provide smoke for the length of the entire or most of the cook?  I'm open to suggestions/feedback on whether you feel this would help my situation or not. Don't get me wrong, LOVE the way my ribs come out, just feel the wood chunks burn off to quickly and not getting enough smoke flavor. Love this board!

Thanks

-Rob
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Using a Tube Smoker with my Kamado..
« on: March 01, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »
I don't have a kamado grill but do own a few A-Maze-N tubes and the box version.  Love them they really help my RecTec with smoke flavor and can't see doing butts in my SRG without my Smoking Tommy Ring!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: Using a Tube Smoker with my Kamado..
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:33:14 PM »
The airflow is so low in my kamado that a pellet tube smoker won't stay lit.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp