Author Topic: Pork Cutlets, Skillet Smashed Potatoes and Asparagus  (Read 6128 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Pork Cutlets, Skillet Smashed Potatoes and Asparagus
« Reply #-1 on: April 12, 2016, 12:36:54 AM »
Apr 11 2016

It was above 50 deg. today but kinda cool with the drizzle rain we had all day. It was a cook indoor day and I was anxious to try a new smashed potato recipe. I found it on Seasons and Supper and it was all done in a cast iron skillet. I thought some pork cutlets and asparagus would go well with it. We had not had asparagus in a while since our daughter didn’t like it but she has moved out and it is a favorite veggie for the wife and me.

I bought two nice sized pork cutlets at my butchers to use. The wife picked the grandson up from the bus since it was raining. When she came home he was with her, they had stopped at the Dairy Queen, the grandson had a hot dog and a frozen ice thing and the wife had an ice cream treat. Not sure but think the wife instigates the stopping at the Dairy Queen! I told the grandson I was fixing a good supper but if you eat that you won’t want to stay. He said he would stay and eat.  He called his Mom and she said she would come for supper after work.

There were plenty of the pork cutlets to share with the grandson and I knew the DIL would not want any. I cut them into smaller serving size pieces seasoned with salt and pepper; dredged in a little flour and fried in some lard. I had fried up some diced bacon for the potatoes, and sliced some green onions.

Everything was cooked in Lodge cast iron or carbon steel. You should be able to adapt to outdoor cooking.

I had everything ready, nuked the potatoes in the microwave and got them started in the skillet. I cut a cross in the top of the potatoes and they smash out better. Now this would make a pretty dish to serve if everyone wanted cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions on their potatoes; but I knew the DIL did not want bacon and the grandson requested no cheese but bacon on his! So I added cheese and bacon to two, just cheese to two and just bacon to one!  I let everyone add their sour cream and green onions.

The asparagus I sautéed in some olive oil, salt and pepper then added some balsamic glaze. I just cooked it about 5 minutes for crisp tender.

That was pretty good; the DIL had a salad, some potatoes and asparagus. I was surprised the grandson ate two pieces of the pork, his potato and more of the asparagus than the rest of us after having his hot dog. Glad that boy likes asparagus and peas too! For me the potatoes are a go to recipe and would go well with about any entrée.

Link to potato recipe:  http://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/loaded-smashed-potato-skillet/

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Pork Cutlets, Skillet Smashed Potatoes and Asparagus
« on: April 12, 2016, 05:46:42 AM »
Looks delicious!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 07:08:10 AM »
Delicious looking plate of food Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:59:23 AM »
Looks like a very tasty plate of food! Everything looks so good Don, especially the potatoes!  Nice work! ;)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »
I need to come out of hiding to tell you how amazing this looks.  Sometimes I look at a meal with the perspective of how much my wife would like it.  This one jumped out at me for that reason.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:40:18 AM »
Very nice cook Don!!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Pappymn

Pork Cutlets, Skillet Smashed Potatoes and Asparagus
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:11:48 AM »
I'd kill that plate
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:17:35 AM »
Outstanding Don! Looks so good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven