Author Topic: I have been asked if this is true  (Read 2657 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
I have been asked if this is true
« Reply #-1 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
I was told by more than one person that meat will not take in smoke past 160 to 165 temp.

True or false?
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

Re: I have been asked if this is true
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:10:44 PM »
From what I understand,  the smoke ring stops being developed at 130 - 135F. But smoke should have an effect at any temperature.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:14:57 PM »
I not sure. Can't wait to see what everyone else says :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
From what I understand,  the smoke ring stops being developed at 130 - 135F. But smoke should have an effect at any temperature.

That is what I understand too, except I have read that the smoke rings does not develop above 140 degrees. But the smoke will continue to affect
the meat as long as you are feeding it wood.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

I have been asked if this is true
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:50:56 PM »

That is what I understand too, except I have read that the smoke rings does not develop above 140 degrees. But the smoke will continue to affect
the meat as long as you are feeding it wood.
I have heard the same
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 09:41:48 PM »

That is what I understand too, except I have read that the smoke rings does not develop above 140 degrees. But the smoke will continue to affect the meat as long as you are feeding it wood.
Exactly what I have been and told.
I do know there is more smoke flavor in the Ribs and Butts I do unwrap than wrap at 165.
We did a test with ribs years ago on a Traeger and I will post it elsewhere to not to detract from this subject.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 10:41:43 PM »
I have always been under the assumption that meat is most receptive to smoke the first two hours of the cook. After that you only need heat.

This is how I do it and I do not get oversmoked grub..................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
Smoke doesn't cause a smoke ring. Wood has lots of Nitrogen. Burning wood mixes Nitrogen and Oxygen and becomes Nitrogen
Dioxide (NO2). NO2 is absorbed by moist meat and reacts with myoglobin (what gives meat its color) in the meat to form a "smoke Ring". It stops at about 135 degrees. After 140 to 150 degrees meat has very little smoke penetration because of the tightening pores and switches to smoke adhesion, hence the bark forming on the outside.
You can also get a smoke ring on a propane or natural gas bbq because NO2 is byproduct of those gases.
This is from a university study I read a few years ago, 'cause I sure aren't that smart.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 10:51:36 PM »

This is from a university study I read a few years ago, 'cause I sure aren't that smart.
[/quote]

Well you sure had us fooled  ;) ;)  ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 11:00:29 PM »
140°
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline irishboy209

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:48:15 PM »
I think one of us needs to do some testing rap some ribs and leave some unwrapped and see which one has the most smoke flavor on the same cook

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:54:02 PM »
I think one of us needs to do some testing rap some ribs and leave some unwrapped and see which one has the most smoke flavor on the same cook

Hmmmm.....testing you say? ;)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 12:44:54 AM »
False!!
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 02:43:23 AM »

Hmmmm.....testing you say? ;)
OK, we did a family test some years back and here is the test.
Spareribs smoke, no foil verses foil tests

Some have been asking about foil or no foil ribs.  I did and posted a test a long while ago so I will post it again for any newcomers.  Hope you all enjoy.

Spareribs smoke, no foil verses foil tests REPOST:

We have been having a debate in the family about foiled or no-foiled spareribs so my wife and I decided to do a test.
Two racks of spareribs both prepare the same way.  We will foil one and not foil the other during the smoke.
My wife applying mohunken butt rub and oranges.

Wrapping in plastic wrap and into the fridge overnight.

Next day I took the ribs out of the fridge and allow them to come up on temperature for about an hour and a half.  I spread a thin coat of yellow mustard and  more rub on the ribs.

The pit is running at 225 degrees so in go the ribs.

Three hours in and I foiled one rack with a mixture of apple juice, apple cider and EVOO.

Five hours in, time to remove the rib rack from the foil.  The top of the rib look fine but the bottom  looked mushy.

Now put on the finishing sauce and turn up temperature to 300 degrees and set the sauce.  This should be 15 to 30 minutes.  The higher temp sets the finishing sauce and gives it a glossy finish.

Ribs been in the smoker for six hours, time to pull, cover and rest for 30 minutes.  The rack in the rear is the foiled rack.  Both look good but the foil rack shrunk more losing more meat and was really limp when I pulled it. I like some texture in my ribs, more like competition ribs.  Taste test coming up.

I went to heavy on the sauce but that is what the grandchildren like.

Now for the family judging. 

First, the non-foiled ribs.  Cut like butter, has a smoke ring and looks like it is moist.

Second, the foiled ribs.  Cut like butter, has a smoke ring and looks like it is more moist than the non-foiled rib

Now test for how easily the ribs pull apart.

First, the non-foiled ribs. Pull apart easily but did not fall apart and moisture ooze out.

Second, the foiled ribs.  Pull apart easily but did not fall apart and much more moisture oozed out.

Taste test by the family of six adults and three grandchildren were 8 for foil and 1 for non-foil.  The foiled ribs seem to have more moisture and were completely falling off the bone as I expected.  The taste of both was equally great.  The non-foiled ribs, while tasting as good, was a little tougher but I do like some bite in my rib but with more smoke flavor. 

Foiled Ribs Win 8 out of 9 but it was very close.  So close that maybe it was a difference between the cuts of ribs.

Bottom line is I will smoke ribs both ways.  If I use a stick burner I will foil but in the Traeger it is either way. I and my wife like non foiled ribs and the rest of the family like ribs foiled.

We all agree the non-foiled ribs had more smoke flavor.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »
I remember this post Art and thanks, This was a great post for many parts of cooking weather to foil or not foil, taste and texture and smoke flavor  ;).

Real judging from judges in a comp is one thing,   real people tasting and giving you feed back is another.

When I went to a comp a few years back with my SRG's I knew I had to prove something so I tested and tested.  if Kimmie said these are great I was in trouble, but when she said these aren't right I knew I had the texture down :D    All I had to do was get the smoke into the ribs so they tasted like they were cooked in a stick or charcoal burner.  That was the tough part for sure

By using pecan/hickory mix and started the smoke kinda heavy from the start I was able to pull off a 4th place in ribs beating out 13  other  teams most using Weber smokers,) BGE's and stick burners

Starting the smoke heavy and early kept me from worrying if the ribs would get smoke in them before they hit 165 (so I thought)

Thanks for  info

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION