Author Topic: Inheritance - cast iron  (Read 17685 times)

Offline Ericd3043

Inheritance - cast iron
« Reply #-1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:46 PM »
My dad passed away about 5 years ago.  At that time, he had a set of cast iron skillets that were in great shape.  Recently, my step mom came out and surprised me with his skillets.  Turns out, she never used them and they have been gathering dust and drying out over the years.  There is a little rust, but mainly around the handle (outside the cooking area)

Question for everyone - is there a definitive best way to season them?    I have some Lodge pieces that I bought as a set for inside cooking.  I have been using Crisco most of the time, but did buy a cast iron seasoning that I have had some success with.  The problem is that I am not seeing the seasoning as well as I would like.

I have seen multiple sites talk about different ways and I have seen the pros and cons of the different options.  I mainly will boil most of the crud off, then scrape and wipe out.  I then dry it in the oven at 500 degrees before adding a coat of oil.  These pieces (and one that I ruined when I forgot it was on the stove during the boiling stage) need a little more than that.

Any suggestions?  I will get some pictures this week and post them as I know not all of them are Lodge pieces (one was significantly lighter than the Lodge pcs)

Offline DWard51

Re: Inheritance - cast iron
« on: April 25, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
Serious Eats guide to restoring vintage cast iron, and then their how to season cast iron.  Also a link to the Cooks Illustrated method.  I'm a fan of the flax seed oil for seasoning of cast iron and steel pans.  I also used flax seed oil on my Blackstone griddle top recently.  Works great.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »
Eric I posted this a few years ago for a 6 step method and worked well. http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11216.msg152409;topicseen#msg152409
 I recently bought a Stargazer Skillet and used a product called Crisbee and it did not do well. I ran it through my self cleaning oven and started over. I now believe just 3 steps are needed for a good seasoning and I used Crisco.
1. Heat oven and skillet in a 500 deg. oven when it gets to 200 deg. add oil and wipe clean, back in the oven and at 300 deg. wipe it again. When it gets to 500 deg. let set 1/2 hour then turn off. When you wipe it you want it to look like you wiped all the oil off, I use Scotch Blue shop towels.

Repeat this 2 more times but oven only needs to be 400 deg. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:34:17 AM »
Good advice here but the most important is this line..... (When you wipe it you want it to look like you wiped all the oil off). You will get a perfect seasoning if you do this.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:37:20 AM »
Get that cast iron re-seasoned and and you'll be passing it down to yet another generation.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »
I do this with coconut oil..come out perfect..the secret is to wipe off all the oil, no pools..perfectly seasoned my de Buyers with it.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
I would recommend reading over this article.  She goes a little into the science of behind seasoning cast iron..  and I really found the information on what happens when you over heat oil and it smokes, what's really going on. 

I think for most people, most methods of seasoning will work, but I like that I now feel I have an understanding of what is really going on when I season CI.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »
Gotten great advice.  I think it is really special to have your Pops cast iron.....your food is going to taste so much better knowing it was cooked on them  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »
Thanks guys - I think this will be a project this weekend to work on in between mowing and , apparently, smoking some ribs.  Calling for the 80's this weekend and the wife has put in a request for some.

I will try and get some before/ after pics as this goes through the process!