Author Topic: Charcoal  (Read 4347 times)

Offline slothritis

Charcoal
« Reply #-1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
Hey y'all. Besides kingsford charcoal, what other brands can you use with the pbc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Charcoal
« on: July 22, 2017, 10:52:46 AM »
You an use any kind you like. Kingsford has been used as a "standard" by which performance expectations are set by the manufacturer of the PBC. It is a successful brand that is widely available and is a very uniform product - so, that makes sense.....

I like lump charcoal mixed with Kingsford for a combination of a higher average temperature, and a longer burn time. Briquets don't burn quite as hot - as a general rule - but they tend to burn a bit longer.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline slothritis

Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »
You an use any kind you like. Kingsford has been used as a "standard" by which performance expectations are set by the manufacturer of the PBC. It is a successful brand that is widely available and is a very uniform product - so, that makes sense.....

I like lump charcoal mixed with Kingsford for a combination of a higher average temperature, and a longer burn time. Briquets don't burn quite as hot - as a general rule - but they tend to burn a bit longer.

Alright thanks!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
Keep us posted on YOUR experiences...we can all learn something new when others share their findings.... :)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline slothritis

Charcoal
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
Keep us posted on YOUR experiences...we can all learn something new when others share their findings.... :)

Will do!

Offline Pileofwood

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 01:16:15 PM »
I do like Stubbs... they sell those at Lowe's. also I just recently bought weber brand natural charcoal briquettes. I will let you know if they work any better or any worse.
"Wanna know how good a BBQ restaurant is? Take a look at the size of their woodpile."-- Big Bob Gibson

Pit barrel Cooker
Weber Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill 22"
Weber Kettle with Kettle Pizza Oven
Humphrey's Battle Box

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »
I do like Stubbs... they sell those at Lowe's. also I just recently bought weber brand natural charcoal briquettes. I will let you know if they work any better or any worse.

That is the spirit! Try different brands and types - and tel us what you like and why. That is how we all improve - or just learn other ways to do things. Who knows - maybe I go to the store and find that my "go to" brand is out of stock...? Now - I can rely on what others have reported...and find an alternate to get me thru. ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline JMH

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »
I recently tried Stubb's, used it on 10# chicken leg quarters and it was great.  Pit temps pretty consistent with what I get on Kingsford.  To me, the Stubb's was a milder, wood grill flavor in the chicken than the Kingsford.  Use Kingsford on pork and beef with no complaints in the flavor department.

Offline slothritis

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
A lil off topic I started but....I live in Florida, elevation is about 343 above sea level, is the vent opened properly (see picture)? I am new to the PBC.

[attachment removed after 6 months]

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »
Looks like a good starting point. You will find that the PBC's intake ( bottom ) vent is not too sensitive. And - generally it will work for you without having to "fiddle" with it at all. About as easy as it gets.

(First cook suggestion: Hang some chickens split in half length-wise on the hooks. It will be the best chicken you have ever eaten.) But it is SUCH a good design - that you can without spending more money....[/b

However -  after you have done a few cooks and are familiar with the characteristics of your PBC, you may want to experiment a little. You can influence/increase the heat dramatically, by leaving the lid of for a few minutes, or leaving the lid "ajar"..or by creating a very small gap between the lid and the top of the barrel, buy using a piece of aluminum foil that is folded until it is about 1/8th" thick. place it on the rim of the barrel, an place the lid back down. It should give you a significant jump in the temperature. I HIGHLY recommend that you get yourself a remote digital probe thermometer. Get a good 2 channel one so that you can monitor the cook chamber temp. and the meat temp. to get a feel for what impact you are making if you tinker with the intake or the evening on your PBC.

Likewise, if you want to decrease temps, and increase the burn time of your charcoal - poi can use aluminum foil "plugs" from wadded up pieces of aluminum in 2-3 of the holes where you normally place the rebar. Of course this means that you will want to set up your PBC to cook using your included grill grate.  High On Smoke and myself cooked a medium sized pork butt all night long at Jaxon's house by doing this. The temps ranged from 225F-190ish. for about 8 hours.

So - as you see the PBC is designed as a "set and forget" power cooker. Just above the temps for true smoking, and below those for true grilling. Very universal, and easy to learn. ] make it do even more!

The PBC is arguably the best value in any outdoor cooker - in it's price range plus!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline slothritis

Charcoal
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 04:02:47 PM »
Looks like a good starting point. You will find that the PBC's intake ( bottom ) vent is not too sensitive. And - generally it will work for you without having to "fiddle" with it at all. About as easy as it gets.

(First cook suggestion: Hang some chickens split in half length-wise on the hooks. It will be the best chicken you have ever eaten.) But it is SUCH a good design - that you can without spending more money....[/b

However -  after you have done a few cooks and are familiar with the characteristics of your PBC, you may want to experiment a little. You can influence/increase the heat dramatically, by leaving the lid of for a few minutes, or leaving the lid "ajar"..or by creating a very small gap between the lid and the top of the barrel, buy using a piece of aluminum foil that is folded until it is about 1/8th" thick. place it on the rim of the barrel, an place the lid back down. It should give you a significant jump in the temperature. I HIGHLY recommend that you get yourself a remote digital probe thermometer. Get a good 2 channel one so that you can monitor the cook chamber temp. and the meat temp. to get a feel for what impact you are making if you tinker with the intake or the evening on your PBC.

Likewise, if you want to decrease temps, and increase the burn time of your charcoal - poi can use aluminum foil "plugs" from wadded up pieces of aluminum in 2-3 of the holes where you normally place the rebar. Of course this means that you will want to set up your PBC to cook using your included grill grate.  High On Smoke and myself cooked a medium sized pork butt all night long at Jaxon's house by doing this. The temps ranged from 225F-190ish. for about 8 hours.

So - as you see the PBC is designed as a "set and forget" power cooker. Just above the temps for true smoking, and below those for true grilling. Very universal, and easy to learn. ] make it do even more!

The PBC is arguably the best value in any outdoor cooker - in it's price range plus!

Great, Thanks for all the info!

Offline Kona

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 08:23:15 AM »
A lil off topic I started but....I live in Florida, elevation is about 343 above sea level, is the vent opened properly (see picture)? I am new to the PBC.

I live in Florida as well, my vent is probably open half the distance I see in your photo
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline slothritis

Charcoal
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »

I live in Florida as well, my vent is probably open half the distance I see in your photo

So I should close it a little more?

Offline Kona

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »

I'll get a pic of mine to post
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline slothritis

Charcoal
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »

I'll get a pic of mine to post
Ok cool