Author Topic: Brisket burgers with Chipotle glazed bacon (southwest/American recipe)  (Read 2153 times)

Offline DoomsmokeBBQ

Brisket burgers with Chipotle glazed bacon (southwest/American recipe)
« Reply #-1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:53:07 PM »

To be honest .. when I think of burgers I don't always head straight to the grill but preferably  classic flat top griddle or cast iron seared burgers , I also don't really care for over sized fancy ones either to where it's more of a giant meatball instead of a burger ! and lastly.. I don't make burgers very often period XD ...but  about maybe once or twice every 2 months or so a craving for a smoky intensely beef burger comes to me and that's when things start getting serious around here .

I always say if your a man or woman of the Q ..you gotta have a mean burger recipe on hand that let's the world know your no simpleton when it comes to the backyard classics. I go big when it comes to burgers on the grill and take the liberty to grind my own meats if possible using the best cuts possible such as Short rib ..oxtail ..even ribeye however this weekend at the store I came across a very poorly trimmed but well marbled brisket that was a bit too small to smoke and decided to use it in my burgers, there's no going back once you had a brisket burger if you haven't had one , I normally prefer a blend of different cut's but an all brisket burger is something else . I keep things bold ..and added some Negra Modello ..dark Mexican beer that pairs excellent with anything beef, add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and these guy's were ready to go .

Though the core of a perfect burger begins with the meat itself ....the real star here was the chipotle glazed bacon . I call it my sweet chili bacon and I'm quite famous for it amongst peers but for seasoned pitmasters ...this is known as "Pig Candy" , a process where bacon becomes glazed with spices and cooked right in the pit until a sweet spicy glaze is set and becomes exactly what it is called ....PIG CANDY , Pig "Crack" seems a bit more appropriate to me because it is so addicting it can be served as a straight appetizer at the table on its own ..in which I have before many times! . I came across this process in a restaurant I use to work in where we'd make peppered bacon in house by sprinkling on a brown sugar & coarse black pepper mixture up top and bake them until a glaze set's . It occurred to me one day to try it with a blend of spices and chilies and do em on the grill , so  I did and the legacy of my infamous sweet chili bacon began! .  When making sweet chili bacon ..it is important to cook the bacon indirectly as the fattiness of the bacon & the sugars from the rub will combust into a funeral pyre instantly. Use the best bacon possible for this recipe ,  be sure it is hardwood smoked and of decent thickness.

The fuel of choice for these burgers was Mesquite Charcoal , it's my preferred choice for burgers & steaks. I build an extremely hot fire by raising the charcoal grate closer to the grates by placing a couple of bricks at the bottom of the grill and the charcoal grate up top  , it elevates to about a 1inch distance away from grates making for a badass sear. learned this from Meathead at Amazingribs and always use it for quickly seared foods . The cheeses I added on to these burgers were a good aged white cheddar and provolone but really long as you got the cheddar to compliment the beer flavor coming from the meat any other cheese will do.

For the burgers
. Ground beef brisket (I had about 3 1/2Ib's worth)
. bottle of Dark beer such as negra modello
. Worcestershire sauce
. salt & pepper

For the Chipotle glazed bacon
. 8 to 10 strips of Hardwood smoked bacon
. 1/2 cup light brown sugar
. 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
. 1 tablespoon Chipotle powder
. 1 teaspoon ground cumin

For The Fixings
. Artisanal or freshly backed buns
. Barbecue sauce of your choice
. slices of provolone or other cheese
. slices of Age cheddar

.1) Place ground brisket in large bowl , add few splashes of the beer ..and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and mix till combined , take care not to overmix so much ..just enough to have the liquids well distributed.
.2) Shape the burgers into your preferred thickness and set aside until ready to tossed on grill.
.3) Mix brown sugar and the spices in a small bowl and sprinkle liberally over the bacon slices , rubbing it in lightly with your fingers. store bacon in a container until ready to use.
.4) Prepare a hot fire using mesquite lump charcoal or other fuel source and scrap to one side of the grill for indirect grilling.
.5) Place bacon over the indirect side , put lit on with vents holes over the bacon and allow to indirect grill for 20 minutes or until bacon is crisped and well glazed.
.6) Remove bacon from the grill and set aside on a platter kept warm.
.7) Season burger patties with Salt & pepper generously and place over direct heat and cook until well charred with lid down to avoid flare ups.
.8) After a few minutes (about 4 to 5) flip the burgers and place the one slice of each cheese on each burger and put lid back on to allow the cheese to melt ...about another 4 to 5 minutes
.9) Place some bacon ontop of each burger and remove from the grill.
.10) Toast the buns on the grill ..and enjoy!.
WeberQ22inch

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Thanks for another great recipe/tutorial and your insights on the cook.

Now do you have a burger for The Smoke?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
Re: Brisket burgers with Chipotle glazed bacon (southwest/American recipe)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
Those burgers look goooood.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline DoomsmokeBBQ

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »
Thanks for another great recipe/tutorial and your insights on the cook.

Now do you have a burger for The Smoke?

haha
I sure do amigo !
WeberQ22inch

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Brisket burgers with Chipotle glazed bacon (southwest/American recipe)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 07:36:38 PM »
Awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »
PLATE ME!!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »
burger looks great, thanks for the recipe.  have used beer in lots of recipes but never burgers.  (that i can remember)  LOL
My favorite method for burgers is thin on a griddle over a wood fire.  Best of both worlds.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline DoomsmokeBBQ

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 10:15:09 PM »
burger looks great, thanks for the recipe.  have used beer in lots of recipes but never burgers.  (that i can remember)  LOL
My favorite method for burgers is thin on a griddle over a wood fire.  Best of both worlds.

those look amazing !  yea just few splashes of beer or hooch , you don't want it to make the meat too moist obviously but it accent's the beef flavor nicely . That griddle is badass ,  I done similar with a cast iron skillet over a wood fire , the results are exactly as you mentioned :)
WeberQ22inch

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 01:34:38 AM »
dsbbq, those brisket burgers look fantastic. Every once in awhile, if brisket is on sale, I'll buy an extra packer and grind it up into hamburger. Makes a great tasting burger. I do this to save a little money on buying hamburger meat, but after the time, labor, and cleanup, I'm not sure that I am really saving any money. Thanks for the recipe. It is bookmarked.

Offline DoomsmokeBBQ

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »
dsbbq, those brisket burgers look fantastic. Every once in awhile, if brisket is on sale, I'll buy an extra packer and grind it up into hamburger. Makes a great tasting burger. I do this to save a little money on buying hamburger meat, but after the time, labor, and cleanup, I'm not sure that I am really saving any money. Thanks for the recipe. It is bookmarked.

thank you so much!. like I said in the post , I don't always make burgers on the grill ..and when I do I go bold and invest in the good stuff  cause I see it as a once a while occasion ..and the good stuff doesn't always mean wallet buster cuts either , Chuck is still king for perfect burgers for me :)
WeberQ22inch

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:18:35 AM »
I'll take 2 with a Diet Coke  :D :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION