Author Topic: Are the batteries dead?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Jaxon

Are the batteries dead?
« Reply #-1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:30:37 PM »
STILL tryin' to use the Amaz-n-smoker box.  It keeps going out.

Today I filled it with their pellet mix and got it goin' with the torch let it burn inside the Assassin, next to the intake vents with the top open.  It burned awhile, then went out and smoked like crazy.  I was a happy jack.
After getting the smoker up to temp and putting 4 racks of ribs inside, I closed the lid and let it go.
A little while later, I opened the lid and saw the pellets weren't smoking...dang!  I took it out and used the torch again, got it going, let it smoke, put it back in, closed the lid, out go the pellets.

I guess I forgot to change the batteries in the Amazn thing.

I have tried to use it in the gasser, in the Masterbuilt, and the Weber.  It won't last but a few minutes.  It'll smoke for an hour or more outside the cookers, but put it in a cooker, and it goes out.  I have followed the steps and listened to my friends tell me how they make 'em work. 

I can't make it work...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Are the batteries dead?
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:07:31 PM »
are you stuffing it too tight with pellets?
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »
Jack...I don't know what is going on with yours......But- I will tell you how I light mine:

Fill my Amazen Tube about 75% full with pellets. Then I set my propane or Mapp gas torch on high. Place the tube in the grill - with part of it hanging out of the grill, so I don't burn the grill as I light it. I get the pellets fully burning on the open end of the tube. I mean - I hold the torch on them until there is a roaring fire in the first 2-3 inches of the tube.

I let it burn for 2-3 minutes. Then blow out the flame. Using a gloved hand, I pick it up - holding it level - and place it near the intake of the pit. Close the door.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »
Are you letting it burn a full 10 minutes before putting it in the grill? I had problems with mine because I didn't do this and it really doesn't work well if it doesn't get enough air flow in whatever cooker you are using. I use the Amazen tube smoker now and as long as it has proper air flow it doesn't go out.  Have you got to the Amazen products website and read their FAQ's? It addresses several issues about it not burning. I could never really get the one you have to work in my old Masterbuilt.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:19:12 PM »
Jack...I don't know what is going on with yours......But- I will tell you how I light mine:

Fill my Amazen Tube about 75% full with pellets. Then I set my propane or Mapp gas torch on high. Place the tube in the grill - with part of it hanging out of the grill, so I don't burn the grill as I light it. I get the pellets fully burning on the open end of the tube. I mean - I hold the torch on them until there is a roaring fire in the first 2-3 inches of the tube.

I let it burn for 2-3 minutes. Then blow out the flame. Using a gloved hand, I pick it up - holding it level - and place it near the intake of the pit. Close the door.

Tim,

He has the pellet box, not the tube. It shouldn't make a difference but, I found the box was more of a pain to use than what I wanted so I went and got the tubes.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »
I tried to post a picture of the box.  I couldn't get the flame to burn 10 minutes without torching it the whole time. It burned a right smart of the pellets - probably an inch and a half or more were in flames before the flames went out. (about the length of my thumb).

It works perfectly until I put it inside any grill or smoker.
<><

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »
Sorry - I missed the "box"  in your description Jack. I would send Todd @ Amazen an e-mail..and relate your experience with the box ( I think they called those a "maze"...thu s"A-MAZEN" smoker...). They will either have some solutions - or may even send you a tube style one as a replacement.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline DWard51

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »
Jack,

It sounds like your pellets have absorbed humidity.  I know humidity is worse in your neck of the woods than mine (60'ish miles north of you), but I don't have any problems keeping my tray lit.  With dry pellets once lit, they should stay burning with a visible yellow flame until you blow them out.  If the flame is going out on it's own, either the pellets are slightly damp (it does not take much) or they were not fully lit.  I usually end up with about 3/8" of the lit end glowing bright yellow with the torch on it.  I can see the pellets are clearly fully lit to their core and after that the flame will stay lit on it's own.  Also if you blow it out you should be able to slowly blow on the pellet coals and it will flame on again.  If you are at that point, blow it out and it should smoke until the pellets are all burned out (assuming there is airflow in the smoker to the tray).

Try putting some of your pellets in a pyrex measuring cup and microwaving them on high for 2 minutes.  If you see moisture being forced out and collecting on the sides of the measuring cup, they are damp.  Once microwaved, they should light OK though (right after microwaving).  Another options is to put the pellets in the try and sit the tray inside the smoker as it comes up to temp (unlit tray).  The heat of the smoker will also dry the pellets out. 

Also the brand of pellets may make a difference.  What are you using?

This is what mine looks like when lit and the flame is sustained (I let it burn like this for 5 to 10 minutes and it stays lit).  Also the pellet tray can only run up to about 250* max and seems most happy at 225* and below (it will go out if over temp)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »
watching.. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
Try some wood chips from the hardware store. They are tinder dry and should work fine. I also think your pellets might have some dampness to em. Sounds like you are giving them plenty of oxygen.

Try the chips and see what happens.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 07:23:51 PM »

Watching X2
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »

Watching X2

You can stop watching...it'll be a while before I use the box again.  I got my first box at the Gathering in Augusta - got pellets, too.  I never had a successful cook with it in the gasser or MES.  I gave it away. Earlier this year, Albert talked me into getting another one... Told me how to set it up for the MES.   He uses it a lot.
I put the pellets in the microwave, then into the maze.  It smoked like a locomotive for almost 2 hours out on the patio.  The next day, I got it going the same way and let it go for a bit like a locomotive.  Then I put it in the MES. After 20 minutes it was dead.
Friday I tried to use it in the Assassin where there is plenty of air flow and it lasted about 20 minutes.
I'll go back to using wood chunks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:24:03 AM by Jaxon »
<><

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
BINGO!

I finally decided to try this thing again in the Masterbuilt.
After hearing from DWard, Smoke, and others, I put some pellets in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
When I took them out, there were  some water drops in the cup...AND there was some dust - something I've never seen before.
So, I I filled one row in the smoker box and lit it per instructions. When the flame went out, I put the box in the bottom of the Masterbuilt and closed the door opening the drawer a good bit for air.
It smoked steady for over 2 hours.
I am going to try it as I smoke a small butt, hoping it works with a real cook. I fully expect it to. 
I'll update when I get 'er done.
Thanks for the good advice.
<><

Offline DWard51

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »
Yep, it's that Georgia humidity!!!!  Especially below the "gnat line"  ::)