Author Topic: Another adoption has taken place (and the struggle to make it happen)  (Read 1985 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Another adoption has taken place (and the struggle to make it happen)
« Reply #-1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »
Yep, we welcomed a new cooker into the fold today :P  I was NOT in the market for one but had been thinking about getting the Pellet Boss 700FB for a little while. My wife has been hearing of them being put on clearance at Wal Mart but we never could find one. In the process of sending a google link to a friend regarding the PB700 I looked on Wal Mart's site and just for giggles, I put one in my online cart. They have this new promotion that you can buy it online and as long as you're willing to go pick it up, you can save even more.

Well lo and behold, I added it to the cart under my normal Wal Mart I shop from and it was no cheaper than usual but as soon as I clicked another close by, it came up to $321.00 out the door instead of $423.00! It said I saved $96.00 by picking it up (before taxes). I was happy! I ordered that sucker with the plans of going to get it the next day with my wife after she got home. I got an e-mail from Wal Mart the next morning saying my order was ready for pick up. So far, so good.....right?

Wrong! We went to pick it up and went to the back for online pick up and they went back to get it and a little while later, rolled it out on a cart. I noticed immediately that it was the wrong pellet grill! It was a Camp Chef model (although nice, it didn't have the sear feature of the Pit Boss and was a little smaller). I told them that it wasn't the right grill and they looked it me like I was crazy, lol. They asked me if I was SURE that I didn't order that one. I started getting hot. I told them YES I WAS SURE. The lady then asked to see the e-mail I was sent when I ordered it. So, I had to pull out my phone and SHOW her that it said "Pit Boss 700FB"!!!  She then said that the sku# on the box matched what I ordered, then the lady who pulled it out on the cart chimes in and says "We overrode the computer and put this one in, we couldn't find the other one. It turns out they sold it to me w/o having it in stock then they tried to pass off the cheaper Camp Chef instead. Really ticked me off. I couldn't believe that they thought I'd just take it and not notice! I told her it would be like me buying a 10 speed online and showing up to the store to pick it up and them trying to send me off with a kids bike.

I then used another analogy of buying a Mustang at Ford and then they drive out a Pinto to take home. The lady just wasn't understanding why I was upset. I could see that she wasn't the brightest so I asked for a store manager. She reluctantly radioed one to come over. I took the manager aside and said "Look, I am not one to complain but you guys did me wrong here. Mistakes happen, I get it but ALL you had to do was contact me and ASK me if I wanted the other grill, not let me spend the time to come here, thinking it's ready to go and then try to pass off another grill like I wouldn't even notice or care. How's that even acceptable?" She then tells me that the associate (who is a department head) should've contacted me and agreed that she handled it wrong. She apologized but really didn't seem to care one way or the other. So, that got refunded.

Not one to accept defeat, I came home and began scoping out different locations by putting that grill in my online cart and choosing different stores. As luck would have it, I found it at another Wal Mart on the other side of Atlanta for $250.00!! I wasn't going to get too excited though so I called the location and after about 20 minutes of trying to get a person on the phone I reached someone in electronics as it was the only extension that would answer! I had the lady check the "Wal Mart number" in the system and she said they didn't have it  :(

She then said that she could connect me to Garden to see if they could see it over there so I got transferred and it took about 10 minutes more to get someone. A guy answered and I told him that I wanted to order a grill online but wanted to make sure they had it in stock before I did. He tells me that if I order online it will be sent from the warehouse. I told him I didn't want it shipped because I get could it cheaper by picking it up so once he understood I gave him the model number and he puts me on hold. He comes back a couple of minutes later and says "Yeah, I got one" so I thanked him, hung up and ordered the sucker!

I kept waiting for the bubble to burst though, I thought that maybe he too saw the words "Pellet Grill" on the Camp Chef box and thought it was the same. I got the "ready to pick up" e-mail mid morning and around lunch time made the trek to get it. I get there, go to the back, show the the order number, he looks at my license and goes to the back to get it. He comes out 5 minutes later with the RIGHT GRILL on the cart! Woo Hoo!

I got it for $260.00 out the door. That my friends is a great deal!

Now that you've read the book, I do have some pictures of this sucker. It's quite large compared to my little Traeger and it's even a good bit bigger than my last Pit Boss, which was the 440D.

Loaded the box up in my work truck. Big sucker. Loaded it with no help even though they said they'd have someone help me. Rrrriiiiggghhhttt

After putting it together.

Placed in front of my scooter for scale. This sucker is BIG!

Hard to tell but the hopper is huge as well

The Flame Broiler is nifty

Other random pics

Now I know this isn't the end all be all pellet pooper but for $260.00, it's a steal! 700sq/in of cooking space and it gets to 500°, that's not bad at all!

I peeled the stickers off and sprayed it down with cooking spray and fired her up to 500° to do a burn in and then my wife grilled me a piece of chicken and her some blackened shrimp skewers on it when she came home, She likes it  ;D

Sorry for the long read, I do get carried away but I felt this was a story worth sharing!

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Now...Mount a trailer hitch on it - and YOU will be the favorite guy not eh job site...even with the electricians! :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

Re: Another adoption has taken place (and the struggle to make it happen)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 08:33:30 PM »
Now...Mount a trailer hitch on it - and YOU will be the favorite guy not eh job site...even with the electricians! :D

LOL! I am sure to be the favorite guy as I am self employed and work by myself ;)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:51:37 PM »
Great story and a great steal. You will love the flame broiler feature. They are sure well made for the coin.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:55:19 PM »
That's Awesome RG your patience and edurance paid off, Congrats! You picked up a solid cooker at A incredible price  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline 70monte

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
Nice story and a great price.  I also like that Mustang GT in the background.  I have a 14 GT myself.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »
Wow that looks like a great cooker at a great price.......When i told my wife she said I did better then you did......She said I saved $260.00 more then you did...I said how honey & she said because you won't be buying one :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Enjoy!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline DWard51

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »
Which Walmart did you go to first?  Brickseek shows they have 4 on hand at the Conyers one (1436 Dogwood Dr).  Looks like you went to the Lovejoy store for the $250 one as they are now sold out at that price.   Brickseek is a great program for walmart markdowns like this.

WHOA!!!! I see they have 3 at the Hudson Bridge Rd Walmart in Stockbridge for $187.00.   I may have to expand the herd also......

Fayetteville had them for $75, but they are sold out. Use this tool to find one near you.  The SKU is the number to the right of the product name in the URL (not the code in the product info page).  For example in this case the URL is:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-700FB-Wood-Fired-Pellet-Grill-w-Flame-Broiler/52162941#read-more   

so the product code SKU to use is 52162941

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 10:58:44 AM »
Best i found was 173.00 in CT not bad
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:11:33 AM »
Which Walmart did you go to first?  Brickseek shows they have 4 on hand at the Conyers one (1436 Dogwood Dr).  Looks like you went to the Lovejoy store for the $250 one as they are now sold out at that price.   Brickseek is a great program for walmart markdowns like this.

WHOA!!!! I see they have 3 at the Hudson Bridge Rd Walmart in Stockbridge for $187.00.   I may have to expand the herd also......

Fayetteville had them for $75, but they are sold out. Use this tool to find one near you.  The SKU is the number to the right of the product name in the URL (not the code in the product info page).  For example in this case the URL is:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-700FB-Wood-Fired-Pellet-Grill-w-Flame-Broiler/52162941#read-more   

so the product code SKU to use is 52162941

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker

Don't believe brickseek, call the store and make them put hands on it! $250 was at Lithia Springs. (where I got mine).

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 08:29:34 AM »
Adventures in e-tail purchasing!  Thanks for sharing your story.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline DWard51

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
Yep, I went by the Hudson Bridge store after work the next day and could not find one.  Checked brickseek again and it said "0" in stock.  Just missed out on getting one for my daughter.  They were wanting a grill at their new house and had asked for an inexpensive starter charcoal grill so I figured that was a great upgrade at a very nice price.  None left at markdown anywhere nearby now.