Author Topic: Google Photos  (Read 16945 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Google Photos
« Reply #-1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:00:02 AM »
Unfortunately, at the time of this writing, Google Photos is, apparently, no longer supporting embedding of photos, from their site, using forum image tags ([img] [/img]).  They, understandably, want people viewing the photo on their site.

You have a few options:

Option 1:  Find another photo hosting site.

This means you may have to actually pay a nominal monthly/yearly fee for someone to host your photos and give you all the options you may want. 

Yes, there are a few "free" sites out there, BUT you know the old saying; There's no free lunch!  These sites HAVE to make money, somehow, or they cannot stay in business.

The problem from their point of view with embedding photos in forum posts, is it does NOT drive additional traffic to their site, yet they still have to pay for the bandwidth.  This is what lead to the issues with PhotoBucket a few years ago.  They tried to do it for "free" and it was not financially sustainable.

Option 2: Continue using google Photos, by inserting a link to your photos on their site.

As of now, if you want to continue using Google photos, then click on a photo within your account, click the share icon (upper right corner) and click "Create a link" at the bottom of the share window. Then copy and paste that hyperlink into your post.  It won't show your picture within the post, but at least people will be able to see it.

Example:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6J7TcEbMYJ1HLH94A

P.S. I'm testing a workaround, BUT it's somewhat complicated, requires manually editing the hyperlink, and not something most people will want to do.

Option 3:  Attach your photos to your post using the "Attachments and other options" (at the bottom). 

The two issues with this option are:

1) This physically uploads the photo file to OUR server, which requires storage space.  Remember, there's no free lunch! To keep OUR storage costs down, the forum is set to automatically resize large photo attachments, and we may from time to time purge older file attachments, meaning a year from now your photos may no longer be there to view.  If you can live with this, then feel free to use this option!

2) This option places all of your photos at the bottom of your posts instead of within the text.  This is fine for some folks, but others prefer placing photos within the text to help tell a story.  Again, if this doesn't bother you, then feel free to use this option!  It's a choice based on your preference of form over function.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Cliff
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:59:11 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Google Photos
« on: April 28, 2020, 02:58:41 PM »
I have used Imgur for years and it's free. I have had zero issues with it.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »
Tapatalk app is another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 09:53:34 AM »
I have used Imgur for years and it's free. I have had zero issues with it.

I've also been using Imgur for a couple of years now. It's super easy to copy the "img" code and paste it into your post. Just look for the Copy BBCode button and paste it into your post.

Here's a screenshot...

Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle