Author Topic: Is it "Stuffing" or "Dressing" -- who cares!  (Read 17077 times)

Offline Hub

Is it "Stuffing" or "Dressing" -- who cares!
« Reply #-1 on: November 20, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »
It's mid-November and I'm living in anticipation of cooking one of my all-time favorite things in the world -- my mother's stuffing (or dressing -- she called it both).  I've already covered GRAVY plenty of times and, of course, you must have lots of gravy to go with this.  Thanksgiving, for me, is just an excuse to make a batch of this and plenty of GRAVY to go with it.  All the rest of the stuff on the table is fine, too but this is what I really crave and want and will eat until I'm semi-comatose.

Here goes . . .

Esther’s Holiday Stuffing
By F. Gordon Hubbell

This is the same basic stuffing that my mother made every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I often helped out, especially with the stirring!  Even yankees (who are typically horrified by “cornbread” stuffing) have given it rave reviews.  Leftovers are to be treasured – see note below.  The recipe is simple and flexible enough to allow for some variations, too.

Do not use eggs in this recipe!  They aren’t necessary.  The gluten from the bread will release during baking and hold the stuffing together nicely.  Also, not using eggs allows you to prepare the stuffing and set it aside, at room temperature, for hours if necessary.  Raw eggs spoil quickly and carry salmonella danger. 

Yield = enough to stuff a fairly large turkey plus fill a 9X12 baking pan 

Ingredients:

*16 oz. Dried cornbread  (one large box of cornbread mix, cooked 2 days ahead and allowed to sit out and dry)
*16 oz. Dried white bread (approx 2/3 loaf of white sandwich bread toasted and allowed to dry for 2 days)
2 Tbsp Sage (dried – do not use fresh)
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Paprika (sweet)
5 large stalks celery
1 large white onion
1 can chicken broth or turkey broth (do not use drippings)
½ pound butter (2 sticks)
Salt and pepper to taste

*Note concerning bread:

An easy substitute for baking cornbread and toasting slices of bread is to use Pepperidge Farm™ cornbread and herb (bread) stuffing mixes (one 16 oz. package of each).  They come in cellophane packages and contain minimal seasonings, so the ingredients don’t change.  By using them, you can prepare the stuffing the same day and no pre-planning is necessary.

If doing bread “from scratch” break up dried bread into “crumbles” into large mixing bowl.  Instructions below are for either packaged or “from scratch” bread.  The results will be the same.

Preparation

Slice and dice the celery and onion into small (approx ¼ inch) pieces.  Place in large saucepan and cover with water.  Add one stick of butter.  Boil until celery is tender and onions are opaque – approximately ten to fifteen minutes.  This is a great source of kitchen “aroma” for the holiday, by the way.

Combine cornbread, bread, and dry seasonings in a very large mixing bowl.  A huge spoon with a wide, comfortable handle is recommended for stirring. 

Add the can of chicken broth and stir again to moisten. 

Drain celery and onions, reserving liquid.  Add celery and onions to mixture.  Stir thoroughly again.

Adjust “moisture” of mixture by adding reserved vegetable liquid about ½ cup at a time.  Consistency should be thoroughly damp, but not “soppy” like a batter.

“Adjust” seasoning by tasting the mixture.  The way it tastes now will be quite similar to the way it will taste after baking.  Start by adding salt to taste.  Stir thoroughly after each adjustment (yes, you’ll get tired of stirring, but don’t skimp on the effort).  This will accentuate the flavor of everything else so it is critical to get the salt level corrected first.  Adjust other seasonings after salt is “right”.  The sage is hardest to work with – too much will make the stuffing bitter.

Baking

Fill the turkey cavity with the stuffing using your hands or a large spoon.  Pack it in tightly but don’t let it overflow since it will expand during cooking of the bird.  Bake the turkey according to “stuffed” directions – usually at least 30 minutes longer than a non-stuffed bird. 

Spoon remainder of stuffing into a 9X12 baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam or another release agent.  Level with spoon.  Cut remaining butter into pats and place on top.  Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes to one hour until top is lightly browned.

Serving

Remove stuffing from the bird to a bowl for serving.  “Fluff” with a fork.  Stuffing from the bird will be darker in color, but somewhat more flavorful than the pan-baked stuffing.

The pan-baked stuffing can be sliced and removed with a spatula after the stuffing has cooled for about thirty minutes.  Slices about ½ inch thick by about three inches long make a nice presentation.

Covering the pan with foil after it has come out of the oven will keep the stuffing warm for an hour or two, if you need it.

Notes and Options

Precise measurements are not necessary.  “Eye-balling” and taste-testing are really the best methods to achieve good results.  The amounts given in the ingredients list are minimal.  Don’t be surprised if you like it with a lot more seasoning.

Diced fresh mushrooms are wonderful in this recipe, too, although they were not part of the original family recipe.  Cut the liquids back slightly to allow for the moisture they will release during cooking.

The pan-baked stuffing is wonderful as a breakfast side dish!  Saute the slices in butter in a non-stick skillet until slightly browned and serve with eggs over medium or soft-scrambled – an interesting replacement for the usual hashbrowns or grits.

Bell’s Seasoning (if you can find it – comes in a small yellow box) can be substituted for the sage, cumin, and paprika.  Start with 2 Tbsps and work your way up via “adjusting” and tasting.

This stuffing shouldn’t just be for the Holidays anymore!  Since it is easy to adjust the amounts, make a smaller batch, bake it in the oven and serve it with a pork roast or baked ham.  It screams out for gravy, though.

Leftover stuffing (covered with foil) will keep in the refrigerator for a week. 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Is it "Stuffing" or "Dressing" -- who cares!
« on: November 20, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
Well GRAVY and either one  :thumbup:  can't go wrong
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:59:12 PM »
take that stuffing/dressing and put it in a waffle maker and get it all crusty on the outside and tender in the middle..can used as sandwich bread with turkey and gravy and cranberry stuff or straight with lots of gravy  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
take that stuffing/dressing and put it in a waffle maker and get it all crusty on the outside and tender in the middle..can used as sandwich bread with turkey and gravy and cranberry stuff or straight with lots of gravy  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Pam what a great idea :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »
It's mid-November and I'm living in anticipation of cooking one of my all-time favorite things in the world -- my mother's stuffing (or dressing -- she called it both).  I've already covered GRAVY plenty of times and, of course, you must have lots of gravy to go with this.  Thanksgiving, for me, is just an excuse to make a batch of this and plenty of GRAVY to go with it.  All the rest of the stuff on the table is fine, too but this is what I really crave and want and will eat until I'm semi-comatose.

Here goes . . .

Esther’s Holiday Stuffing
By F. Gordon Hubbell

This is the same basic stuffing that my mother made every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I often helped out, especially with the stirring!  Even yankees (who are typically horrified by “cornbread” stuffing) have given it rave reviews.  Leftovers are to be treasured – see note below.  The recipe is simple and flexible enough to allow for some variations, too.

Do not use eggs in this recipe!  They aren’t necessary.  The gluten from the bread will release during baking and hold the stuffing together nicely.  Also, not using eggs allows you to prepare the stuffing and set it aside, at room temperature, for hours if necessary.  Raw eggs spoil quickly and carry salmonella danger. 

Yield = enough to stuff a fairly large turkey plus fill a 9X12 baking pan 

Ingredients:

*16 oz. Dried cornbread  (one large box of cornbread mix, cooked 2 days ahead and allowed to sit out and dry)
*16 oz. Dried white bread (approx 2/3 loaf of white sandwich bread toasted and allowed to dry for 2 days)
2 Tbsp Sage (dried – do not use fresh)
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Paprika (sweet)
5 large stalks celery
1 large white onion
1 can chicken broth or turkey broth (do not use drippings)
½ pound butter (2 sticks)
Salt and pepper to taste

*Note concerning bread:

An easy substitute for baking cornbread and toasting slices of bread is to use Pepperidge Farm™ cornbread and herb (bread) stuffing mixes (one 16 oz. package of each).  They come in cellophane packages and contain minimal seasonings, so the ingredients don’t change.  By using them, you can prepare the stuffing the same day and no pre-planning is necessary.

If doing bread “from scratch” break up dried bread into “crumbles” into large mixing bowl.  Instructions below are for either packaged or “from scratch” bread.  The results will be the same.

Preparation

Slice and dice the celery and onion into small (approx ¼ inch) pieces.  Place in large saucepan and cover with water.  Add one stick of butter.  Boil until celery is tender and onions are opaque – approximately ten to fifteen minutes.  This is a great source of kitchen “aroma” for the holiday, by the way.

Combine cornbread, bread, and dry seasonings in a very large mixing bowl.  A huge spoon with a wide, comfortable handle is recommended for stirring. 

Add the can of chicken broth and stir again to moisten. 

Drain celery and onions, reserving liquid.  Add celery and onions to mixture.  Stir thoroughly again.

Adjust “moisture” of mixture by adding reserved vegetable liquid about ½ cup at a time.  Consistency should be thoroughly damp, but not “soppy” like a batter.

“Adjust” seasoning by tasting the mixture.  The way it tastes now will be quite similar to the way it will taste after baking.  Start by adding salt to taste.  Stir thoroughly after each adjustment (yes, you’ll get tired of stirring, but don’t skimp on the effort).  This will accentuate the flavor of everything else so it is critical to get the salt level corrected first.  Adjust other seasonings after salt is “right”.  The sage is hardest to work with – too much will make the stuffing bitter.

Baking

Fill the turkey cavity with the stuffing using your hands or a large spoon.  Pack it in tightly but don’t let it overflow since it will expand during cooking of the bird.  Bake the turkey according to “stuffed” directions – usually at least 30 minutes longer than a non-stuffed bird. 

Spoon remainder of stuffing into a 9X12 baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam or another release agent.  Level with spoon.  Cut remaining butter into pats and place on top.  Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes to one hour until top is lightly browned.

Serving

Remove stuffing from the bird to a bowl for serving.  “Fluff” with a fork.  Stuffing from the bird will be darker in color, but somewhat more flavorful than the pan-baked stuffing.

The pan-baked stuffing can be sliced and removed with a spatula after the stuffing has cooled for about thirty minutes.  Slices about ½ inch thick by about three inches long make a nice presentation.

Covering the pan with foil after it has come out of the oven will keep the stuffing warm for an hour or two, if you need it.

Notes and Options

Precise measurements are not necessary.  “Eye-balling” and taste-testing are really the best methods to achieve good results.  The amounts given in the ingredients list are minimal.  Don’t be surprised if you like it with a lot more seasoning.

Diced fresh mushrooms are wonderful in this recipe, too, although they were not part of the original family recipe.  Cut the liquids back slightly to allow for the moisture they will release during cooking.

The pan-baked stuffing is wonderful as a breakfast side dish!  Saute the slices in butter in a non-stick skillet until slightly browned and serve with eggs over medium or soft-scrambled – an interesting replacement for the usual hashbrowns or grits.

Bell’s Seasoning (if you can find it – comes in a small yellow box) can be substituted for the sage, cumin, and paprika.  Start with 2 Tbsps and work your way up via “adjusting” and tasting.

This stuffing shouldn’t just be for the Holidays anymore!  Since it is easy to adjust the amounts, make a smaller batch, bake it in the oven and serve it with a pork roast or baked ham.  It screams out for gravy, though.

Leftover stuffing (covered with foil) will keep in the refrigerator for a week.

Who said Yanks don't like cornbread stuffing......Just because we won the war does not mean we don't like it ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thanks looks great
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »
Since we always cook it outside the bird, I think it starts off as dressing until you (inevitably) eat massive quantities of it. Then, and only then, is it stuffing.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
This is a GREAT post.  It's the same dressing recipe that my Mom made in Tennessee.  She used left over biscuits instead of white bread.  I can witness that this is a GREAT dressing.  I will be making this on Thanksgiving, and yes, lots of GRAVY . ;)
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »
Well GRAVY and either one  :thumbup:  can't go wrong

My thoughts... EXACTLY!!!  Whichever you call it, it's a great excuse for more gravy!

P.S. Hub, while we were in North Carolina about six weeks ago, Art (ACW3) got to hear my gravy story the evening we stayed with him and Maureen.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »
Thanks, Hub.  I am forwarding this to Maria so we can have it down in St. Augustine this year ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »
Since we always cook it outside the bird, I think it starts off as dressing until you (inevitably) eat massive quantities of it. Then, and only then, is it stuffing.

Stuffing! THAT was what was on the inside of my teddy bear as a kid......"
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 08:13:33 PM »
Hub, the stuffing/dressing came out great. Thanks for the recipe ! ! !

Maria & Gordon say "Hi" ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC