Author Topic: Eyeround roast question  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Eyeround roast question
« Reply #-1 on: December 02, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »
        I'm going to do my first roast beef. It's an eye round . I trimmed all the excessive fat on it. It was a pretty thick layer. Than I hit it heavy with kosher salt and I'm leaving overnight until tomorrow. For those with experience should I sear it in a cast iron pan first or just go straight to the pit barrel ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Re: Eyeround roast question
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
Lh78, I know that you are going to cook it in the pit barrel cooker, but maybe this sous vide experiment on youtube on the "Sous Vide Everything" channel will help you answer your question (or maybe not). In the experiment, a steak was seared first and then cooked and a second identical steak was not seared first and then cooked. Both steaks were seared after the cook. The seared first steak was much tougher than the unseared first steak. Now the steaks were cooked sous vide, and I don't know if this will transition to cooking in the pit barrel, but this might be helpful to answer your question (or maybe not).

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
I would reverse sear after the smoking session............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:08:40 PM »
it's similar to when I smoke beef Picanha...I'll smoke it till about 120-125, take it off and let the coals get screaming hot, add some wood chunks and put the beef back on to get some char on the outside.

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC