Author Topic: Sauces and such  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Sauces and such
« Reply #-1 on: December 13, 2017, 05:48:37 AM »
      First forgive me if this is the wrong forum. I just like you guys lol. Well I wondered if their was a way to cut down on the smokiness of my cooks and a couple guys recommended Stubbs briquettes. I went to lowes and got them last night. They are at least 4 times the price I can get the kingsford for. That being said if it works I don't mind the $$$. When I was their I spent a lot of money. I bought 2 other products. 2 jars of bone suckin sauce ( thicker style ) and three little pigs rub. Have any of you guys used these ? I'll be sure to give my review after xmas. That's when I intend to use them. How long do you guys let the rub sit on the meat before cooking ? . I see Noah does it with no wait. I spent too much at this point to try the slawsa. Is that stuff worth getting ? It looks like this hotdog relish that they serve at a legendary hotdog joint called rutts hutt in Clifton nj. Anyhow I asked a few questions and if anyone wants to chime in I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Sauces and such
« on: December 13, 2017, 07:06:20 AM »
      First forgive me if this is the wrong forum. No problem! I moved it to General Discussions for you. More people are apt to see it here. I just like you guys lol. Thanks - THAT is the MOST important part of an internet based discussion forum we think :) Well I wondered if their was a way to cut down on the smokiness of my cooks and a couple guys recommended Stubbs briquettes.Another tip is to allow a little more time before you load your PBC with meat. As the charcoal becomes fully engaged and glowing red-to white hot - it will burn at it's "cleanest". This will also be at the hottest temps that the charcoal produces for you - so watch your cook times and use a digital thermometer to confirm doneness. I went to lowes and got them last night. They are at least 4 times the price I can get the kingsford for. That being said if it works I don't mind the $$$. LUMP charcoal will generally burn cleaner than briquets.When I was their I spent a lot of money. I bought 2 other products. 2 jars of bone suckin sauce ( thicker style ) and three little pigs rub. Have any of you guys used these ? I'll be sure to give my review after xmas. Both are very popular, and tasty. Which is better....is up to your tastebuds. And - don't be afraid to experiment with those by adding other ingredients to make them "yours". As well - look at our recipes thread section for sauces. You may find something there to try as well. Always remember that sauces with a good amount of sugar will burn easier, and at lower temps. So, most folks will apply the sauces as a glaze near the end of the cook. Usually 15-20 minutes before the time they intend to remove the food from the cooker.That's when I intend to use them. How long do you guys let the rub sit on the meat before cooking ?With rubs - the salt content of the rub is important to help figure out how long one can leave the meat to "self-marinade". Higher salt = shorter time so the meat does not adsorb too much salt. . I see Noah does it with no wait. I spent too much at this point to try the slawsa. Is that stuff worth getting ?It is SLAWSOME! It looks like this hotdog relish that they serve at a legendary hotdog joint called rutts hutt in Clifton nj. Anyhow I asked a few questions and if anyone wants to chime in I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys

Hope this helps!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:09:22 AM »
sometimes you'll find Stubbs for half price during some sales. I like Stubbs, I like the flavor it gives. I believe they are 9.99 for a 14lb bag. I've tried Bone Sucking Sauce and really enjoy that one but haven't tried that rub, I normally make my own. I generally put my rub on about an hour before cooking. I like the rub to "sweat" into the meat juices if that makes sense.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »
I don't know if you are new to grilling, but I remember when I was.  I knew nothing.  I asked this question, "am I supposed to rinse the rub off before I put the ribs on the grill?"  Though I'm sure that caused a few chuckles, I only received calm and assuring responses.
This is the right forum for you whether you are a rookie or a seasoned veteran (no pun intended).
I'll let others advise you on the technical questions, but I will say that SLAWSA is a great condiment for hot dogs and burgers, etc. I have been a fan and supporter since their Kickstart errors beginnings.
B T W, be sure to follow up to let us know how you're doing.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:34:04 PM »
I was turned on to this rub from the guys and gals on this site and I really like it. Only thing I will do is cut out the salt if I dry brine before the rub down.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe
Love to cook and eat