Author Topic: New REC TEC Bullseye  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Sailor1

New REC TEC Bullseye
« Reply #-1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:01:28 AM »
REC TEC introduced a new produce in mid November.  It is getting rave reviews from customers.  The Bullseye is a pellet fired kettle grill that will get to temps of 650.  It will also do low and slow.  $399 which includes shipping.  Was in Augusta yesterday and looked the grill over.  It would be a great addition to anyone wanting to add a pellet grill to their arsenal of propane/charcol/stick burner toys.  It will go high to sear meats for those that want a high temp cook and go low for the low and slow crowd.  If you want to take a peek of the grill here is a video that REC TEC did.   https://www.facebook.com/RECTECGrills/videos/1813229905387828/

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: New REC TEC Bullseye
« on: December 20, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
Yeah...we have thread about this one...But the consensus seems to be that Re-Tec missed the mark. I wish they had put he money into counted tech developments/features of their current pellet grill. In fact - they dropped the Mini...I suppose in favor of this...? Which is a less efficient shaped grill - as far as "useable" shape.

Going to be interesting to watch what happens......
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »
The barrel shape of the mini is tried and true........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »
Yeah...we have thread about this one...But the consensus seems to be that Re-Tec missed the mark. I wish they had put he money into counted tech developments/features of their current pellet grill. In fact - they dropped the Mini...I suppose in favor of this...? Which is a less efficient shaped grill - as far as "useable" shape.

Going to be interesting to watch what happens......
The Bullseye is NOT the replacement for the Mini.  The new Trailblazer is the replacement for the Mini.  They are tight lipped about the Trailblazer and it is supposed to be unveiled Feb 1.  Rumor is that it will have a stainless steel barrel to stop complaints about the powder coating bubbling.  Will have WiFi control as well.  Talked to the guys at Rec Tec yesterday when I was there and they have not seen it and would not comment.  No idea of the price point so we will all have to wait.  I LOVE my mini and would not be without one. 

The Bullseye is intended to an inexpensive way to bring the propane/charcoal kettle group into the pellet family.  I think they are targeting the Webber kettle market with the Bullseye.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »
It is an interesting approach. I think Cliff ( Tenthunter ) has a pellet grill conversion kit for the Weber Kettle.... And - there may be others out there. But, we do know that Rec Tec will put marketing behind it.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
that is what i liked about the mini...it's shape is perfect for me..gonna have to check Craigslist or everything to find one...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
I know the kettle pellet grill works great (built one myself) and mine can be turned into a real smoker + and SRG.

I do like the Bullseye and the way it's made just not really sure if it's really needed in the market place as a grill only.  What
I mean is, the Bullseye can cook like a Weber for sure but low and slow may not work the way people want it to.  The heat plate does not give you a hot or cool spot to do low and slow like a real smoker.  Looks like the outer edge will always be hotter than the middle and just not going to work as a smoker.  Where my kettle type can be a HOT grill for searing, a smoker or even add an SRG chamber for infrared smoking or high heat cooking, mine is just not potable enough.   

If they would add or make a different heat difuser then it might cook low and slow.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.  If it gets really good ratings just might have to jump in and get one to try  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 12:32:23 PM »
I would much rather have a good solid pellet "smoker" and then add some grill grates for searing.

I do this all the time:

take everything out of the inside of the pellet grill.

lay some foil AROUND the fire pot in the bottom of the barrel

just add your cooking grates.

set your grill grates on top of the cooking grates

Turn the pellet grill on and set for 400....do not worry about what your display says cause it will not run accurate with the deflector and drip pan missing

You will have one heck of a sear...........I gaurantee it.

I have done this method in a Yoder.....Rec Tec.....Camp Chef......Traeger.......and both Green Mountain offerings.

Trust The Smoke on this one.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »

Yes, but then again so is the kettle design (well... at least the Weber Kettle).  So time will tell.

It is an interesting approach. I think Cliff ( Tenthunter ) has a pellet grill conversion kit for the Weber Kettle.... And - there may be others out there. But, we do know that Rec Tec will put marketing behind it.

Yes, I do have the Stoven pellet conversion for the Weber Kettle, and it's similar in basic design and control to what the Rec Tec Bullseye offers, with two exceptions: 1) The Rec Tec Bullseye has an ignitor, and  2) it will hold more pellets.

As I mentioned in the other thread, based on my experience with the Weber/Stoven combo I actually like the idea, and would not be afraid to have one of as a second/portable pellet grill/smoker, especially at it's price point.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68