Author Topic: Freezing a prime rib  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Freezing a prime rib
« Reply #-1 on: December 21, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »
       I'm so bummed out. The forecast in my area is snow for Christmas. I work for the department of public works which means I'll be snow plowing the streets. I won't get to see my kids faces in the morning . They are 5 and 3 and 3 . Young.
      Ok I'll get to the other point. I bought a large 4 bone rib roast. Close to a hundred bucks for it. Being people won't come ( snow ) and my wife can't cook ( shhh ) will the quality suffer a lot by freezing it for a later date ? I usually don't freeze meat. I don't have food saver. Is my roast gonna suck from being frozen ? Thanks guys
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Freezing a prime rib
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:05:34 PM »
No fear!

If you do not have a vacuum sealer big enough for any meat you wish to freeze - you can wrap it in cling wrap ( saran wrap is but one brand...) to keep air away from the meat. Then, wrap it in butcher paper - or heck, even newspaper - and freeze it. It will keep pretty well this way. The better your plastic wrap job, lessens your chance of freezer burn occurring soon.

Of course - if your freezer is like most it is a self-defrosting model. The downside of this convenience is that when it goes into he auto-defrost cycle....the freezer temps will climb to the high 30's or even low 40's. It may stay in that range for a few hours. This allows any ice that is trying to form to thaw, and run out to the drain pan below the freezer where it can evaporate.

So - ideally....you want to use any frozen meats or foods before they go thru too many freeze/thaw cycles. Those are what cause "freezer burn" on our foods.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 06:09:39 PM »
That's interesting info tee square thanks. I'm only freezing it for a week or two the most. I was more worried about the texture/flavor of the meat after it's been frozen. Would it be a significant difference?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »
       I'm so bummed out. The forecast in my area is snow for Christmas. I work for the department of public works which means I'll be snow plowing the streets. I won't get to see my kids faces in the morning . They are 5 and 3 and 3 . Young.
      Ok I'll get to the other point. I bought a large 4 bone rib roast. Close to a hundred bucks for it. Being people won't come ( snow ) and my wife can't cook ( shhh ) will the quality suffer a lot by freezing it for a later date ? I usually don't freeze meat. I don't have food saver. Is my roast gonna suck from being frozen ? Thanks guys

I am not an expert but i have frozen meat in the past. I think you will be fine as long as the period is not a long one. make sure you cook it soon...I am sure you will. sorry about the kids that is tough.....stay safe out on the roads

this may help     https://www.chowhound.com/post/freezing-rib-eye-roast-1037729
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:17:22 PM »
Or you can :  Remove roast from packaging, rinse well. Pat completely dry, wrap with 3 layers cheesecloth. Place on a rack on a sheet pan in back of refrigerator, fat side up. After 24 hours, remove, unwrap, discard cheesecloth and wrap with a fresh piece. Place back in refrigerator for 6 to 9 days undisturbed.
Remove roast from refrigerator. Remove cheesecloth, cut away the fat and trim the ends and any discolored parts of roast.

That one method of dry aging. You can google "dry age prime rib" for other directions. You don't need to worry about freezer burn diminishing taste as it will taste better.
Just a thought.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Pappymn

Freezing a prime rib
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
I say let in hang out in the fridge for a week. With kosher salt on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109