Author Topic: MAK 1 Star Options that are needed  (Read 2998 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: MAK 1 Star Options that are needed
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 08:56:14 AM »
I am looking at options available on MAK 1 and trying to determine which options you need to order:

I can see where you would want the side shelf and the upper grate.  I am a tech person, so definitely would get the MAK WiFi.  From what I have read the flame zone is only needed if you want to sear with the MAK, which I don't want to do so don't think I need it.

Is there a need for a front shelf?

Definitely go with either a full or at least a 3/4 upper rack.  We have a full upper rack and it gets used more often than you'd think.

Side/Front shelves - purely preferential.  Currently we have neither.  We had the side shelf for our first MAK 1 Star and ended up taking it off to make transporting the grill easier.

I've considered getting the WiFi, but just don't see myself using it often enough, especially since I have a Maverick wireless thermometer. Perhaps someday.

HOWEVER, as an owner of a MAK 1 Star with the new FlameZone, let me sum it up this way: I think you are cheating yourself if you don't eventually add the FlameZone!  Not only is it a beast for searing, it makes pellet usage more efficient AND improves smoke production slightly. Adding the griddle expands your possibilities even more.

2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline zueth

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »
I am looking at options available on MAK 1 and trying to determine which options you need to order:

I can see where you would want the side shelf and the upper grate.  I am a tech person, so definitely would get the MAK WiFi.  From what I have read the flame zone is only needed if you want to sear with the MAK, which I don't want to do so don't think I need it.

Is there a need for a front shelf?
Could you elaborate on how it makes the pellet usage more efficient and makes the smoke better?

Definitely go with either a full or at least a 3/4 upper rack.  We have a full upper rack and it gets used more often than you'd think.

Side/Front shelves - purely preferential.  Currently we have neither.  We had the side shelf for our first MAK 1 Star and ended up taking it off to make transporting the grill easier.

I've considered getting the WiFi, but just don't see myself using it often enough, especially since I have a Maverick wireless thermometer. Perhaps someday.

HOWEVER, as an owner of a MAK 1 Star with the new FlameZone, let me sum it up this way: I think you are cheating yourself if you don't eventually add the FlameZone!  Not only is it a beast for searing, it makes pellet usage more efficient AND improves smoke production slightly. Adding the griddle expands your possibilities even more.

2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 07:36:54 PM »
Could you elaborate on how it makes the pellet usage more efficient and makes the smoke better?

I will answer this as best as I can.  Bruce (Mr BBQ) from MAK could answer this much better than me.

Click on the link I posted above for the FlameZone review and look at the design of the new FlameZone.  The funnel shape directs the heat directly upward from the firepot to the cook/grate area, where the food is. This reduces the amount of space being heated thereby making pellet usage more efficient.  It's also what allows better grilling temps in grill mode.

As far as better smoke production: I believe it has to do with the timing of pellets being dropped less often (because of efficiency), so when they do hit the firepot they produce more smoke similar to Smoke Mode.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline zueth

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 07:54:13 PM »

I will answer this as best as I can.  Bruce (Mr BBQ) from MAK could answer this much better than me.

Click on the link I posted above for the FlameZone review and look at the design of the new FlameZone.  The funnel shape directs the heat directly upward from the firepot to the cook/grate area, where the food is. This reduces the amount of space being heated thereby making pellet usage more efficient.  It's also what allows better grilling temps in grill mode.

As far as better smoke production: I believe it has to do with the timing of pellets being dropped less often (because of efficiency), so when they do hit the firepot they produce more smoke similar to Smoke Mode.

Thank you.

Offline rwalters

MAK 1 Star Options that are needed
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 07:59:44 PM »

I’ve had a MAK with and without the new FZ setup. Given a choice, hands down the new FZ. Better overall performance. With that said, with or without the new FZ, MAK’s are smokin’ machines!  I’ve cooked on other brands of pellet cookers, and I have not experienced any other brand that competes with the MAK when it comes to smoke production.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 10:33:45 PM »
Extra rack. I would get a 3/4 upper rack. We live in WiFi hell. Had a lot of issues using the MAK WiFi. Then installed the Google mesh and all our WiFi issues disappeared. With wifi you can program cooks real easy.

Offline zueth

MAK 1 Star Options that are needed
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 05:12:12 PM »
I really like the idea of the WiFi, just don’t like the extra cost for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
It can be added later.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401