Author Topic: New RecTec RT-700, now with WiFi  (Read 6086 times)

Offline ClimberDave

New RecTec RT-700, now with WiFi
« Reply #-1 on: February 01, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »
Looks like RecTec stepped up and updated and now have Wifi and some other upgrades available.....

$200 more than  previous  but now with free shipping,  so  pretty much the same cost.

Wonder if the quality is the same.

http://www.rectecgrills.com/

http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-bull-rt-700-wood-pellet-grill/
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline NativeTxn

« on: February 01, 2018, 05:15:14 PM »
Given that those with Rec-Tecs already usually have great things to say about them, this seems compelling.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:15:18 PM by NativeTxn »

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: New RecTec RT-700, now with WiFi
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 06:57:33 PM »
I would take a conservative postionon on the WiFi.  Will be interested to see how reliable it is.

Green Mountain has had a very tough time making theirs work well. And I am not talking about the range of the signal.....

Even with MAKS - many folks find a need to up-grade or re-locate  their WiFi router in order to get enough consistent signal, so that the grill does not "drop off" the WiFi.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »
Very good looking grills.

We just ordered a Pit Boss so it is too late to switch.

Be interested to see how these new units go over.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 11:03:20 PM »
I asked if their new controller is compatible with 680. They said they will be selling the controller in 30-60 days. The price will be $199. They will have a short initial period where current 680 owners will be able to buy it for $99. 
I am happy with the current controller, so I have to decide if wifi is worth $99. I am not sure I would use it that much as I don't like to leave the house when cooking on the pellet grill. Any other benefits of wifi?
Decisions, decisions
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 08:17:20 AM »
I asked if their new controller is compatible with 680. They said they will be selling the controller in 30-60 days. The price will be $199. They will have a short initial period where current 680 owners will be able to buy it for $99. 
I am happy with the current controller, so I have to decide if wifi is worth $99. I am not sure I would use it that much as I don't like to leave the house when cooking on the pellet grill. Any other benefits of wifi?
Decisions, decisions

I'm in the same boat Gus,, not sure what to do also Gus   :-\
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 08:29:37 AM »
Decisions, decisions

As someone said eariler in this thread - GMG has had trouble with their Wifi. I have a GMG Jim Bowie with wifi - and yes I did indeed have issues, However for the past several months (after the last update) it has been spot on! They seem to have them ironed out. I use my pellet smoker 2-3 times per weeks. I love the wifi, I would not use it as much without it. Long cooks make it easy to check temps, I can run to the store and check temps away from home - Low pellet alarms on my phone. As you can tell - I definitely recommend Wifi. My pit is downstairs under my deck - kitchen living room are upstairs on the opposite side of the house - so wifi saves me much time.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 08:38:23 AM »
That is good to hear!

And...remember that every home's WiFi network is different...SO anyone looking at the WiFi option on any grill should be prepared to make some changes to their router location if needed ( or possibly add on a range extender...) so that they can get the benefit. It is easy to blame a faulty WiFi controller - when it may be the network we have installed in our homes.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »
WiFi ... We deal with it every day. Door Locks, Thermostats, Lights, digital communications...   You most likely need to boost your wifi signal around your house.
  Some manufactures don't put robust WiFi in their products. I guess they save money this way.   
 Some of the wifi routers supplied with internet services are very weak.   There are several new plug extender options available.  More and more of these are coming on the market now with all the home automation out there. 
  Linksys makes a wifi router just under $300 that is just about maxed out with power.  We have solved a lot of issues with them so far and you rarely need other extenders with them.  Not to just push Linksys though, lots of good products out there now for this purpose. 

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 11:32:19 AM »
I really like the  Stampede (RT-590) Wood Pellet Grill.   I might have to look a bit closer at it.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 04:30:39 PM »
Get a mesh wifi system. No dead spots. Never get a router or modem from the cable company. A huge monthly rip off that never ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline slothritis

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 08:32:33 AM »
I really like the  Stampede (RT-590) Wood Pellet Grill.   I might have to look a bit closer at it.
I was looking into purchasing a new pellet smoker, currently I have the rec tec mini for 2 years and love it! So when they announced the new stampede I jumped on it. I think its the perfect size for my needs.