Author Topic: Rib Tips  (Read 19321 times)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
Rib Tips
« Reply #-1 on: February 21, 2018, 12:56:55 PM »
We get a lot of calls at MAK about the best way to cook ribs. They definitely a year 'round favorite with our grill owners. Here's my "fool proof" technique for doing babyback ribs. It's a technique I've used for decades with always great results. I've found that exposing the ribs to a longer smoke session really makes a huge difference in their smokiness. Give this technique a try and see what you think.

No matter what time of year it is, our grill owners love barbecuing ribs. We often are asked, “How do you guys do ribs?”.  Here is our own Mr. BBQ’s tried and true rib cooking technique, which he has perfected over the years with some of his Pitmaster tricks thrown in.
Baby Back Ribs:
Approximate cooking time: 5-6 hours
Serves: 4-6 people

Ingredients:
3 slabs of baby back ribs (2-1/2 and down in weight)
¼ cup smoked salt
¼ cup smoked brown sugar
¼ cup cracked black pepper
2-3 Tbsp. yellow mustard powder
1/3 cup honey or melted jelly of your choice
Optional: a bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce
8 slab rib rack

Preparation:
Pull ribs out of the fridge at least a half-hour before you peel the membrane off the ribs. Letting the ribs warm up will make it easier to pull the membrane off. Once the ribs have warmed up, peel the membrane off the backside of the ribs. Trim down excess fat, but do not trim off all of it. You need it for flavor and moisture.
In a resealable bag, add all of the dry ingredients, seal and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle a uniform amount of dry rub on each slab of ribs.
Once seasoned, place the ribs bone side up in the rib rack. Since you are cooking only 3 slabs, place them one space apart in the rack.
Put the honey or jelly into a heat tolerant bowl and set aside.

Cooking:
Star your MAK and leave on SMOKE. Allow the grill to come to temperature. Place the ribs in the grill and smoke for four hours.  At the end of four hours, adjust the grill temperature to 300F and continue cooking for sixty to ninety minutes, or until you can pick up the slabs with a pair of tongs and they bend almost into an “L” shape. 
During the last 15 minutes of cooking, place the honey or jelly into the grill to warm.

Once cooked, remove the racks from the rack and place on a platter. Carefully remove the honey or jelly. While the ribs are resting, brush a thin layer of honey or jelly on the top of the ribs. Separate the individual rib bones and serve with your favorite barbecue sauce if so desired.

Tips:
Trim the ends to uniform shaped slabs. Always place the thickest part of the rib (head) down in the rib rack, with the bone ends sticking up.
It’s easier to separate the ribs by turning the racks over and then following the curvature of the rib bone.
Place the honey or jelly in the grill during the smoke session to give it a smoky flavor.
Some people like to put a thin layer of yellow mustard on top of their rub layer. Try it and see how you like it. Experiment with different styles of mustard.

Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline rwalters

Rib Tips
« on: February 21, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
Dang! Those almost look good enough to eat ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
Re: Rib Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
RWALTERS----now that's funny. I KNOW you can do as well on your MAK.  :D

Offline rwalters

Rib Tips
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
RWALTERS----now that's funny. I KNOW you can do as well on your MAK.  :D
There is no way I’d wanna go up against you, Mr. BBQ!  That first pic of the ribs uncut is outstanding! And the ribs cut up... YUM!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »
I'm glad I read this.
I thought it was a post about how to cook rib tips, and I don't usually do those.

Great tips on cookin' ribs. I do those a lot.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
Looks great from here :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 08:53:39 PM »
Wish I could have been there to help clean those good looking bones.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 06:53:11 PM »
Thank you everyone for the compliments. I believe that YOU ALL can do as good (and maybe even better!). That's what this forum is all about, sharing our passion of barbecue with one another. I am always learning and working on my MAK techniques. We're all in this together to make life more flavorful!

Offline akjeff

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
Those ribs look damn good Bruce, nicely done! :thumbup:

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »
Is this the same for pork and beef ribs?