Author Topic: London Broil  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
London Broil
« Reply #-1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
Got one thawing in the fridge...has anyone ever smoked one? Looking at cooking it tomorrow when SWMBO returns from Huntsville, AL. Gonna sort of treat it like a Tri-Tip use Phil's Original and cook to 140 with some apple wood pull and rest for 20 mins. Baked taters and Green beans will make a good meal I hope.
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
Re: London Broil
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »
Original is great but Awake-a-Steak is even better with the French roast coffee in it.  Be sure to slice it on the diagonal in thin pieces.  Phil
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:47:42 AM »
Your cook plan will work but you'll need to be careful on the serving side.  A London Broil is a very chewey cut and HAS TO BE sliced very thinly across the grain to be edible.  I know one guy who tried to serve it like a steak and was horribly disappointed.  At 140 before rest should give you "medium" with pink, warm center.

The most common way to prepare this cut is grilling on high heat, searing on both sides until medium-rare then slicing into very thin strips (often served on salads)

An alternative is a "reverse sear":  Smoke the cut at low temp (160 - 180) for an hour or so to infuse some smoke flavor then move to a hot grill and sear to finish doneness desired.

London Broils have wonderful beefy flavor but can be like shoe leather if you cut with the grain or too thick.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »
Got one thawing in the fridge...has anyone ever smoked one? Looking at cooking it tomorrow when SWMBO returns from Huntsville, AL. Gonna sort of treat it like a Tri-Tip use Phil's Original and cook to 140 with some apple wood pull and rest for 20 mins. Baked taters and Green beans will make a good meal I hope.
Why didn't you tell me she was in Huntsville?   I could have gotten her hooked up with Bama Red rub and GunPowder for Star Market while she was in town!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »
Did not know that was where you lived.

She is at the Navistar plant repairing one of their optical comparators. She is not a happy camper as she has to spend another night.
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »
Did not know that was where you lived.

She is at the Navistar plant repairing one of their optical comparators. She is not a happy camper as she has to spend another night.
Well tell her while she is here to find a Star market and go to the meat dept.  Ask them for the gunpowder and Red rub.  There should be one within 10 miles or less of where she is
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION