Author Topic: Blaz’n Grill Works Grid Iron Review  (Read 30687 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Blaz’n Grill Works Grid Iron Review
« Reply #-1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
This is my review of the Blaz’n Grill Works Grid Iron.   I bought my Grid Iron in September 2013.  At that time Blaz’n Grill Works was offering 3 models:

The Grand Slam: The Grand Slam is 24" x 19.5" for a total of 468 square inches.
Top cooking shelf is 19.5" x 10" for a total of 195 square inches.
Total cooking surface is 663 square inches.
The total weight is 174 lb.
MSRP:  $1099.00 + shipping

The Grid Iron:  The Grid Iron is 36" x 19.5" for a total of 702 square inches.
Top cooking shelf is 31" x 10" for a total of 310 square inches.
Total cooking surface is 1012 square inches.
The total weight is 224 lb.
MSRP: $1299.00 + shipping

The Tailgater
:  No information as I believe this one is no longer available.  At least it is not showing on their web site.

Blaz’n Grill Works now offers the Pro Series which is the Grand Slam and the Grid Iron equipped with a new digital “Memphis Style” controller.  I believe this is the same controller that is on the Memphis, Rec Tec and Louisiana pellet grills. 

The original grills come standard with the Ortech controller.  I purchased the upgraded controller once it became available.  Currently you can order both of the grills with the new controller.  I don’t know the pricing on these upgraded grills. 

They also will custom paint the lid and the hopper lid for an additional cost.

All models have double walls in the front, rear and side panels.  They offer an optional insulated bolt-in lid panel.   The pellet auger is different than most as it is round cut, made from a round rod, to eliminate jerking on the motor. They also come with an “optional” cover.  I say optional but it was one of the 3 choices for free accessories when I bought mine.  They also offered a sear kit and the insulated lid panel.  I opted for the cover.

The lower body on the grill is made of 16 gauge steel.  The lid is 12 gauge and the deflector is 10 gauge.

Here is how my Grid Iron was delivered.  For information from the manufacturer’s location of
Beatrice, Nebraska to my house in Hinesville, Georgia shipping was only $85.00 and this included lift gate
service.

The only installation required was to put the legs and the lower shelf on the body.
Here is after putting it to together.  It has 4 locking caster wheels.

Fast forward 3 months and this is how it is looking after a multitude of cooks.

The new controller!  It is set at a low of 160 and a high of 600.  I can only take mine to 450 as I
did not opt to replace the auger to reach the higher temps as I have my charcoal grill for searing.

Manufacturer information in the hopper lid.

30 pound hopper capacity and notice the lips around the hopper.  The lid fits down over the lips and
helps keep any moisture out of the pellets.  As you can tell by some of the pictures I rarely use the
cover anymore and it rains a lot here in Georgia.

View from the right side with the drip bucket and the pullout burn pot.

The pull out burn pot.

The 10 gauge deflector shield. I left it up for photo purposes only.

409 stainless steel drip plate.

Removable 3 piece 409 stainless roller grates. 

The standard half shelf.

Controller probe placement.

Standard collapsible front stainless steel work shelf.

Thin blue smoke on warm up.

Loaded this morning with some “party wings” for my wife’s work tomorrow and some pig candy for
the son and his wife. 

My overall rating on this pellet grill is excellent.  This is an American made pellet grill manufactured in Beatrice, Nebraska.  I don’t notice the temp swings like I do in the smaller Traeger junior.  If you notice in the 3rd picture there are a bunch of foil wrapped bricks.  I used these when I had the Ortech controller to help stabilize the temp swings, which weren’t much only around 10 to 15 degrees.  Once I put the new controller on and ran some temp tests with the bricks in and the bricks out I found that the controller keeps the temps within +/- 5 degrees.  This was without the bricks in so I removed them.  I have found the only hot spots are around the front edge of the cooker. I did add a high heat oven gasket around the lid edges of the cooker. When I was contemplating purchasing a large pellet grill I narrowed the field down to 3.  The Yoder YS640, the Rec Tec and the Grid Iron.  I have never cooked on a Yoder and I understand it is an excellent cooker.  I did have the chance to cook on the Rec Tec at The Gathering and it also is an excellent model.  I decided between the 3 of them that I would go with the basically unknown Blaz’n Grill Works.  I guess I have always been a “sucker” for the underdog or unknown and that is my nature.  I also liked the look of the Grid Iron and the fact that it came standard with a second shelf (even though only a half shelf) and the front shelf.  I have no regrets at all about this purchase.  The only things I would change on this is I wish it came with a full upper shelf and I would have like to have seen the controller probe mounted either a little lower or towards the back of body.  I would also like the exit for the smokestack lowered more towards the grate level. I think this would help draw the smoke more evenly across the grates. I haven't used the full 1012 square inch capacity yet, but it will definitely be filled on my next request to do pork butts for my friends, co-workers and family.  I have seen one loaded with 9 pork butts so that is definitely a lot of pulled pork.  ;)

If you are interested in the Grid Iron or the Grand Slam the person to contact is Tim Mickey at 855-634-9233 or tmickey@blazngrillworks.com .  He is really great to deal with and maybe tee can contact him about becoming a sponsor on our forum.

Any questions you have I will be more than willing to answer or if I don't know, will try to find the answer.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

Re: Blaz’n Grill Works Grid Iron Review
« on: December 22, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »
Mike, good review! Looks like you got a lot of bang for your buck with the Grid Iron!  I have a GMG D. Boone and love it, but I'm very envious of the extra room you have. I'm going to work on that real soon and add a half shelf I purchased back a ways. Nice job kiddo!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
She's a beast! Lots of square inches and metal for the price!

Nice review Mike ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:30:49 PM »
I just had the Jim Bowie delivered and your review gave me pellet grill envy. Looks like a well made unit. I like the placement of the probe (out of harms way) it is also nice to have a standard top cooking grate. Like I mentioned earlier in another thread, a good pellet does not have to be solid 1/4 inch, but you do need a heavy gauge steel for items like the fire pot and heat deflector and Blazin has done this.

Thank You for a real good product review. Will this be a continuous review where you add cooks to it? That would be nice....... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
I just had the Jim Bowie delivered and your review gave me pellet grill envy. Looks like a well made unit. I like the placement of the probe (out of harms way) it is also nice to have a standard top cooking grate. Like I mentioned earlier in another thread, a good pellet does not have to be solid 1/4 inch, but you do need a heavy gauge steel for items like the fire pot and heat deflector and Blazin has done this.

Thank You for a real good product review. Will this be a continuous review where you add cooks to it? That would be nice....... :)

I can if you like Smoke. I normally just post my photos to either the pellet grill section or to one of the sponsors areas if I am using their
product.  But it makes since to continue on with posting my Grid Iron photos here.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
looks like a nice grill.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
 You are more than welcome to post in the pellet grill section or keep the review going. Maybe you could give your contact over at Blazin and tell em about the forum and see if they are interested in coming on board. Let me know and I will get em set up with Tee................... ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
You are more than welcome to post in the pellet grill section or keep the review going. Maybe you could give your contact over at Blazin and tell em about the forum and see if they are interested in coming on board. Let me know and I will get em set up with Tee................... ;)

I will give Tim a call or email tomorrow Smoke!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
Cool, just let em know over at Blazin that we are over 500 members strong and growing. Tell em we got a bunch of pellet drivers here. Tell him we have some pellet grill dealers as well as Mak and Rec Tec and they might want to jump in and make their presence felt........

just don't tell em we have a moderator that plays with a little stuffed frog  :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »
Good write up, thanks ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 05:06:09 PM »
Great review.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 05:41:42 PM »
Great review!! Just wondering if you considered a rec tec grill before your purchase and if so what was the deciding factor for the blazing.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 05:52:45 PM »
Great review!! Just wondering if you considered a rec tec grill before your purchase and if so what was the deciding factor for the blazing.

Yep, the Rec Tec was my 2nd choice.  I guess the deciding factor was the standard second shelf, which when I talked to Ray at Rec Tec he said they
were looking at adding second shelf eventually.  I know that the 2nd shelf from the Traeger Texas will work in the Rec Tec.  I also liked the standard
front shelf and like veryolddog stated about his Yoder, I too like the fact that it was made in the good old USA. I do know that the Rec Tec is an
awesome cooker as I cooked with it at The Gathering. 
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »

Yep, the Rec Tec was my 2nd choice.  I guess the deciding factor was the standard second shelf, which when I talked to Ray at Rec Tec he said they
were looking at adding second shelf eventually.  I know that the 2nd shelf from the Traeger Texas will work in the Rec Tec.  I also liked the standard
front shelf and like veryolddog stated about his Yoder, I too like the fact that it was made in the good old USA. I do know that the Rec Tec is an
awesome cooker as I cooked with it at The Gathering.
Thanks you very much for your response. I will own a pellet grill one day just so undecided at this time :)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »
Now correct me if I am wrong, but I feel you cant go wrong with any of the pellet grill offerings these days. Just pick out the one with the features that you like. If applicable, be happy with the dealer that you are dealing with and then pull the trigger  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven