Author Topic: Different Worlds Can Sometimes Collide  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Hub

Different Worlds Can Sometimes Collide
« Reply #-1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
I wrote this piece for the KCBS Bull Sheet -- a monthly newspaper for BBQ competition addicts like me -- because there is sometimes needless miscommunication between cooks and judges.  It also applies, I think, to any of us "old hands" who get too set in our ways to grasp the fact that we aren't always "right".  One of the most enjoyable aspects of Letstalkbbq.com is the emphasis we place on not being judgmental toward newcomers or folks who cook on different appliances or in different ways than we do.  Hey, if it tastes good I don't care how you cooked it  ;)

Hub

On The Inside Looking Out
Could Different “Word Views” Be Why Cooks And Judges Can’t Communicate?
by
Gordon Hubbell

Sometimes we just know too much for our own good.  Or, what we know isn’t what everyone else knows.  Or, we think we know but maybe we don’t.  Or, what we know is a bit specialized and doesn’t make sense to anyone who is normal.  Being a competition barbeque cook and certified judge doesn’t exactly make one wise or even unique.  But, it can make for an interesting comparison of world views every now and then.  Here’s my tale . . .

Not long ago I was attending a regional church function and, during a break between the meetings wound up in a conversation about hobbies with a new acquaintance.  I’ve written before about the strange ways people can and do respond when you tell them you judge barbeque or compete as a cook, but this one left me wide-eyed and gasping for air. To my revelation that my avocation was cooking and judging barbeque, he simply said, “How long do you boil your ribs?”  That’s when the world stopped turning.  In the parlance of Hollywood . . . “fade to black”.

Now, maybe some more cogent folks would have immediately said, “I don’t” and left it there.  But, my strangely wired brain was in a sudden state of shock and overload!  Who would even contemplate such a thing?  Even the mention of totally wasting a rack of ribs by boiling it so utterly offended my hickory  smoke-impaired sensibilities, put such a warp in my universe, and was such an affront to solidly established best practices and common sense (to me) that I almost forgot I was in a church and blurted out something blasphemous!  This man was contemplating a Class A felony.  So, I just stood there staring off into space with every molecule of my brain matter now in some sort of paralysis and my mouth agape.  I was frozen and struck dumb.  For maybe the second time in my life, I was speechless.  I may have also ceased to breathe for a significant period of time.  The blood drained from my head down into my heels.

“Are you okay?” he asked, watching me fight back nausea, chew on my tongue and try to recover some shred of contact with normalcy and justice.  I couldn’t be honest and tell him I wasn’t.  I had to lie, right there in church!  Lying takes a lot of energy and creativity.  I wasn’t sure I had any left.   He’d just said seven words that sucked the life out of me, made me look like a blathering fool, and made me give the appearance of having a serious myocardial infarction or at least some very significant gas right there in front of the snack table.

That’s what I mean by “Inside Looking Out”.  My reality and that of my new (and now somewhat alarmed) friend were vastly different states of being.  I suppose a medical doctor might sympathize with my plight if a patient asked him what kind of cigarettes he recommended.  Or, a teacher would probably feel this way if queried about how best to cheat on a test.  My now racing brain waves were in denial.  I was thinking, “He didn’t really say that did he?”  To my stilted sense of reality the effect of his question was roughly the same thing as if, had I been relaxing in my recliner one evening following dinner, I had received a sincere telephone call from the President asking my advice on how to run the country.  These things just don’t happen.

If you are now thinking, “I thought they always boiled ribs” you are forgiven.  That “Inside” word is the gist of this epistle.  My point is that some of us, and especially I, can get so wrapped up in our own little special worlds that we forget others have their own little special worlds, too.  Now, there’s a point to be made from this.  Not a huge one.  Nothing that will cause the President to call me, mind you.  Just something I finally got a small insight into via that encounter with the rib boiler.  This clash of realities may be an underlying factor in why some judges and some cooks are reluctant to mingle – why there is a divide of sorts between the judging and the cooking fraternity inside KCBS that needs to be bridged – and why one well-known cook called judges “eaters”.  Neither “world” is right or wrong!  But, we can unintentionally create the wrong impression of ourselves and even offend others if we don’t keep the differences in mind.

After what seemed like plenty of time for the moon to assume a new phase or at least for that water to boil for those soon to be abused ribs, my tongue and my intelligence returned.  My wits found their slot.  And, I advised my new friend that there were much better ways to prepare that oh, so delightful reason that pigs exist.  Then I gave him the summary details.  I got over my urge to blaspheme and my revulsion to his unwitting and unintended insult to all that is porcine.  He is now my friend, but he could have smote me for my lack of brotherly love if I hadn’t balanced my reality with his.

Moral:  If you cook, do not assume judges know how you cook.  If you judge, don’t converse with a cook by being judgmental.  Walk a mile in the other guy’s shoes.  You’ll communicate a lot better and you’ll get a really long walk to help work off all the barbeque testing and tasting that contributes to us all so many delicious and beloved calories.
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Different Worlds Can Sometimes Collide
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »
Thanks Hub.  That was a well needed chuckle.  I was watching 'Rachael Vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off' the other day, and Florence Henderson (one of the contestants this season) dropped some ribs in a big old pot to par boil them before grilling.  My son yells across the room... "don't start swearing at the TV."  I held my tongue, but then the judges praised the ribs for texture and taste.  I had enough, and I dropped a couple of 4 letter words.  My kids were just laughing at me because they knew it was coming.  Sorry kids!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
Great parable Hub. And nice job keeping a friend. There are many ways to get to the same place, although there are some roads I will not take. But I will say I'm a firm believer in, the ends justify the means!  ???

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
Hub, I always enjoy your Bullsheet columns. Between you & George Hensler, I renew my membership just to read what you both write.

Having seen both sides of KCBS comps, I have gained a tremendous respect for both competitors and judges. Competition BBQ is not an easy or cheap hobby, and at least as far as the judges I have been seated with and fellow competitors I have talked to, there is a mutual understanding from both sides towards the other. Getting a bad score has too many factors other than trying to pin it on a vengeful judge, and teams that cook with a judge need to involve them more than just having them perform trash/KP duties.

However, both sides need a friendly reminder every now & then about what the other side faces in competitions. I think cooks should judge and judges should cook, at least once a year and not just to earn the Master CBJ, IMHO.

Boiling ribs is another story.

I boiled ribs once, because I didn't know any better at the time. Not a good experience, time consuming, and the end result was less than satisfying. However, we all need to start somewhere, and sometimes you learn more from a negative experience than a positive one. If someone asked me the same question today, I'd say, "I know a better way that will give you some of the best ribs you have ever tasted. Let me show you how."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:08:28 PM by tnjimbob »
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
A well written piece thanks for sharing, back when I still lived in San Antonio our house was a couple of blocks from a "Rib" house that claimed to have the best ribs in town and newspaper awards to prove it. Long story short I never cared for them that much and then my ex-BIL went to work in the kitchen and came home to tell me that their secret was to boil them in the morning, leave them in pans of steaming water until ordered at which time they pulled them out of the water threw them on the grill, slopped some sauce on them to caramelize a bit and served them.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
Enjoyed reading that Hub.

My boiled rib story. My friend who got me into smoking boiled his ribs. I was at the time trying many different ways to do ribs and I was killing them (not in a good way). I have been a member on a few sites and only banned on one, why I still don't know. This is my only home now ;D

Back to my story, my wife says to me why don't you do your ribs the way Murray does his and boil them. After a few times of hearing this I asked have you ever tasted Murray's ribs, she said no, I asked then how do you know they are better ???

My friend and I go back and forth but I have helped him a lot in getting a better rib.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »
Good read Hub.. thanks! My wife also suggested I boil my ribs once like her mother used to do. Almost ended up in divorce... :P
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:12 PM »
At one of the first restaurants I worked at the owner INSISTED I parboil the ribs with onions, carrots, celery, etc. (It was like making rib stew!) I tried to convince him that was not the way to make ribs be he was adamant.

The ribs were nasty... mushy, fall off the bone and absolutely no flavor... even when grilled and sauced for service.

(This is the same restaurant where the owner's wife insisted on adding commercial clam base to my scratch clam chowder.)

The restaurant closed a few months later!!

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 06:23:40 PM »
Great read Hub! Is this article going to be in next month's Bullsheet? I read the one for
January and you were talking about table captains. I do look forward to reading your
articles. Way before I started smoking and grilling my wife asked if I wanted ribs for
dinner. I said sure and then watched her boil them till almost tender and then throw them
into the oven with BBQ sauce. They were absolutely nasty! Of course I didn't say that out loud.
I did convince her to let me try them the next time on my smoker and since then she won't cook
or eat anything BBQ unless I cook it. I think she actually prefers the way they taste, I know I do!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »
That was a great read Hub and really puts things into perspective ;)

Now back to soaking my ribs and boiling my wood chips 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 02:43:43 AM »
Excellent read, Hub - tolerance is a virtue of the wise man

Thanks Hub.  That was a well needed chuckle.  I was watching 'Rachael Vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off' the other day, and Florence Henderson (one of the contestants this season) dropped some ribs in a big old pot to par boil them before grilling.  My son yells across the room... "don't start swearing at the TV."  I held my tongue, but then the judges praised the ribs for texture and taste.  I had enough, and I dropped a couple of 4 letter words.  My kids were just laughing at me because they knew it was coming.  Sorry kids!

I saw the same episode and told my wife that Flo was going to be chopped for committing a sin like that.  I was shocked that she wasn't and instantly decreased my opinion of the "professionals" by several orders of magnitude

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
Thanks for that article Hub. Last weekend my wife wanted ribs and I said I would get out my little smoker and make her some but she was in a hurry and told me to go down to  a very well known BBQ place about two miles from the house and get some. Now last year Alabama had a BBQ contest where all the best BBQ places in the state in 4 different regions competed against other and then it got down to 2 places and this place wound up finishing 2nd in the state. They even beat out Dreamland which is legendary for their ribs. While we have gone to this place often to get BBQ pork sandwiches and there are pretty good this was the first time we had ever gotten ribs there.

I bought a slab of ribs and a couple of sides at a hefty price and brought them home. They were awful. I had a couple of bones and I think she had one. We wound up throwing the rest away, which I have never done before. I am pretty sure they boiled them first then threw them in the pit to finish up. Nasty stuff. There is a reason I normally don't order ribs in a restaurant. Two days later we were in downtown Birmingham and she said she wanted to go to Dreamland and get some real ribs so we did. Not as good as mine but the best I have ever eaten in a restaurant. They have a BIG brick pit in the restaurant and you can watch the pit master while he cooks under a big neon sign that says "No Farting" and sit at an old style plywood booth and eat a slab of ribs on a paper plate with a plate of white bread and sauce with a roll of paper towels for napkins.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware