Author Topic: $25.99 per pound for Beef Tenderloin  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Pappymn

$25.99 per pound for Beef Tenderloin
« Reply #-1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »
Went to my local meat market. Could not believe the price for USDA Choice Black Angus Tenderloin.

WOW.......and ouch! Would never pay that much for tenderloin.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: $25.99 per pound for Beef Tenderloin
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:26:28 PM »
Saw prices like that before,in Malibu! Way out of my price range.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »
Definitely out of my price range too!  ???
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:32:16 PM »
I think beef tenderloin is overpriced and overrated to begin with.  Now, it is not only out of my price range but out of my damn tax bracket.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:38:49 PM »
It's my understanding that beef is at an all time high. It being the result of ranchers having to get rid of their cattle when the drought was hitting and they couldn't afford to feed them.  That glutted the market and we now have a shortage which according to the law of supply and demand means prices rise. 

Costco has good looking choice rib eye for about $8.99/lb and prime rib eye for $14.99/pound.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »
WOW.....And I thought $21.99 a pound at Costco was outrageous, but that was for USDA Prime tenderloins over there. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
Oh man...that is crazy expensive.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
Roomer has it meat prices will/are rising up here also because of a shortage :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
 ??? ??? ???
Love to cook and eat

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »
It's my understanding that beef is at an all time high. It being the result of ranchers having to get rid of their cattle when the drought was hitting and they couldn't afford to feed them.  That glutted the market and we now have a shortage which according to the law of supply and demand means prices rise. 

Costco has good looking choice rib eye for about $8.99/lb and prime rib eye for $14.99/pound.

Dee

I just read in the livestock daily that the actual on the hoof shortage nationwide is only about 5% and that it is the futures speculators that are driving prices up by running the prices up on futures.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 12:14:17 AM »

Dee

I just read in the livestock daily that the actual on the hoof shortage nationwide is only about 5% and that it is the futures speculators that are driving prices up by running the prices up on futures.

Crying wolf is always a great way to start a price gouging scheme, and every time someone posts on the subject (not just here - it is far worse on "other" boards) the rumor becomes more and more fact and people start to accept the increase.  Speak with your wallets folks.  Quit being a pawn in the game.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 02:23:31 AM »

Dee

Crying wolf is always a great way to start a price gouging scheme, and every time someone posts on the subject (not just here - it is far worse on "other" boards) the rumor becomes more and more fact and people start to accept the increase.  Speak with your wallets folks.  Quit being a pawn in the game.

Couldn't have said it better, if corn wasn't so expensive I would go back to raising my own beef and pork.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 08:55:10 AM »
I have just been buying much less beef because the prices have become so dang high! :'(

When the stores find they are not selling any they will slash prices to get rid of what they carry then the suppliers will have to take notice when the re-orders drop.

Beef unlike gasoline is not a required buy. I have been cooking chicken and pork more than anything else simply due to the cost.

I noticed very few sales on beef last year and so far this year. Especially on Tri-Tips. Out here in California Tri-Tips are almost always on sale at one store or another. Now that grilling season is here I hope that trend changes.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven