Author Topic: Grilling on the PBC?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Awm1176

Grilling on the PBC?
« Reply #-1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
Looking for a little help. Ive done many cooks on the PBC and very happy with it. Hanging meat is just fun in itself.  What I haven't done yet is use it for just grilling. Things like burgers, steaks, chops, chicken drums and wings.  I do a lot of leg quarters and found a way to hang them with rebar ties which works well. But obviously the smaller stuff need the grate. How much charcoal are you guys using for grilling?  Do you have to fill up the basket completely like the other cooks. If so seems like a waste of charcoal for a small cook.  Also, is the distance from the basket to the cooking grate an issue? Has anyone done any mods to get the charcoal closer to the grate?  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Offline Kona

Re: Grilling on the PBC?
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »
I grill quite a lot, especially steak and wings. I've always used a full basket regardless. For steak I just generally let the coals get screaming hot, then I just lift the grate and throw some wood chunks which catch fire fairly quickly to add some extra flavor and to help sear / crust the steaks. Some people have used a clay pot I believe and place that in the barrel and put the basket on top of that to bring the heat closer to the grate. I've always had great success with the basket as is. I haven't done many burgers, the troublesome issue is the flipping the burgers. A short spatula tends to help better on that. I have a process I follow with wings that turn out great every time.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »
Just like previously mentioned....short spatula and a full basket.

The PBC Grill Grates are a must if you want to grill in my opinion..................

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/product/grillgrate
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline viscera912

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »
i agree with kona.

a "heaping" basket is what i would use if you are going to grill.  with that you prob will get sustainable upper 400's for barrel temp. ive done chops, wings, burgers, hotdogs, and honestly while the flavor is nicer using the pbc it is only good if you are gonna be doing a couple batches.  . to load up the basket for 2 steaks and then you are done doesn't make sense to me....but if i had no concern with money etc, i would use the pbc. 

also, flipping things on the grate is tough unless you use tongs...which will render your burger useless   or the short spatula and then its still a little tough, plus hot :)

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »
When I grill I leave the rods out and crack the lid to achieve higher grilling temps! And also mix in lump charcoal.
And when done cooking I take foil and plug the 4 rod holes and the vent on bottom to choke off and save charcoal for next cook.
Here's a pic of 14 leg quarters. I also do a lot of them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:48:21 PM by Smokin3d »
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline zak99b5

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 08:36:34 AM »
I love my PBC.

But when I want to grill, I use my grill--a Weber Performer.

Right tool for the job.

When the food is done, I can put the lid on and close the vents to extinguish the charcoal. Then I can burn it again for the next cook.
PBC
22" Weber Performer with Slow-n-Sear

Offline marty22877

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »
When I grill I leave the rods out and crack the lid to achieve higher grilling temps! And also mix in lump charcoal.
And when done cooking I take foil and plug the 4 rod holes and the vent on bottom to choke off and save charcoal for next cook.
Here's a pic of 14 leg quarters. I also do a lot of them.

how long do you cook them like this?

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »
Usually around 45 minutes.
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill