Author Topic: First two weekends with PBC  (Read 1400 times)

Offline SteelerFanInTexas

First two weekends with PBC
« Reply #-1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:08:09 PM »
So, we've had the PBC for two weekends now.  First weekend was brisket (delicious) and beef ribs (so-so, at best).  The second weekend was St. Louis pork ribs (excellent) and spatchcock chicken (very good).  This weekend I think we're moving on to pulled pork and salmon. 

I don't see many comments from people on cooking salmon.  Have people had success with it, or is it kind of the same as when you cook in a traditional oven?   Also, for those who have done salmon - I assume you don't fill the coal bin up completely the way you do with other cooks - is that right?  Any tips or tricks, particular favorite rubs?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: First two weekends with PBC
« on: October 18, 2017, 10:35:25 PM »
I would use the grate for sure...and depending on how you like your salmon cooked - you may not need a full basket of charcoal, but - charcoal is cheap.....I would fill the basket.

And - you will want to keep the temp. down. Try plugging one or more of the rebar holes with a wad of aluminum foil in each hole. Monitor your temp via a wireless digital thermometer system.

Lastly - again this is all about what you like...I like brown sugar a little salt, and cook. As you are approaching the last 20 minutes or so of the cook....a nice which teriyaki glaze, or some maple syrup can be good. I generally sprinkle some red paper flakes on as a little kicker....

Hope that helps. Share your results with us please-
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
Noah also says you can use less charcoal for cooks under two hours. I would pick up a cedar plank to do the salmon on. PBC has a salmon video on their site which can also get you going in the right direction.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline SteelerFanInTexas

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys - I always check the PBC site first, with all their great instructional videos.