Author Topic: Amaze-n-smoker - box style  (Read 67801 times)

Offline Jaxon

Amaze-n-smoker - box style
« Reply #-1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »
I am getting frustrated with the box I have.  It is designed for pellets, but I can't keep the pellets going.
On Monday, I decided to try again, so I filled one trough with pellets and used my torch to light 'em up.  Got' em going good and blew out the flame.  It smoked real good for over an hour.
Yesterday I smoked a butt in the Akorn.  I filled one trough with the same brand pellets and torched 'em till they were going good - just like on Monday.  After getting the Akorn up to temp, I put the box inside and put the butt in.  Just a little while later, when I checked, the pellets were no longer burning.
This has been the problem for me.  The pellets burn well outside, but if I put the box in the cookers, they go out.  It happens with the gasser, the kettle, the MES, and now the Akorn. I haven't tried it in the offset since the wood is the source of smoke.
I really want to use it in the Akorn for additional smoke flavor.
Any suggestions? ... I am willing to try anything.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

Re: Amaze-n-smoker - box style
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:27 AM »
Hi Jaxon
  I would use a piece of fruitwood to jam them tighter so they always make contact.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
Jaxon

I been using the AMZN smokers for 6 years now. What i have found with the pellets and dust is not to pack the wood to tight in the hole area. Light with a torch and keep the flame for 2-3 mins then blow out. Amzn works great in my Bradley
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »
I cannot speak to the box, but with my tube I don't even blow out the pellets.  I thought it would burn out too quickly, but it doesn't.  I actually think the hotter flame makes for a cleaner smoke (just like not wanting smoldering wood in an offset).  I just need to watch how close it is to whatever I am cooking so that it doesn't scorch.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
You're choking it out. The AMZNPS needs to breath to continue to burn. There has to be some sort of draft for the pellets to keep burning.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
You're choking it out. The AMZNPS needs to breath to continue to burn. There has to be some sort of draft for the pellets to keep burning.

It goes out in the Weber Kettle and in the gas grill...both get plenty of air.  I can put it on the ground and it will smoke forever.
I'm stymied right now.
<><

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »
Not enough air flow in Akorn , put more wood chunks if you want heavier smoke in Akorn & kettle.
As far as gasser saw dust will stay lit easier than pellets in these maze smokers.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Amaze-n-smoker - box style
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:34:52 PM »
Jaxon, I have both. A amazing box and the tube smoker. It was always hit or miss with the box. After I got the tube smoker all my troubles went away.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:32:47 PM »
Dang...guess I shoulda got the tube    :-\
<><

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »
Jaxon.... Try filling it full up and when you are done smoking just make a break in the row to stop it.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:39 AM »
I have the box,a tip I heard was dry the dust in the oven to make sure its dry.Im not having a problem with mine,are all the holes in it open?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
Maybe I can talk with Todd soon...
<><

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
Just my 2 cents, but both my tube and box smokers work well.  I'm like the rest you are missing air flow somehow.   I do find if using pellets that the brand of pellets can make a difference.  Traeger won't burn as good as Smokers Delites.  So that maybe some of your problem Jack.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 04:22:48 PM »
I would start by trying different pellets. In high humidity the pellets will gain moisture. This can cause your problem.

Also I find that a mapp gas torch works well at getting the pellets going.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 07:43:16 AM »
When I light the pellets from the little hole I would have problems keeping them burning.  So I started doing things backwards.  I would fill a trough and then light it from the back end and never had a problem since.  I don't pack the pellets I just pour them in and level them off.  My thinking is that if you start them from the hole end you are blocking air from them and they go out.  Starting them from the back end gives them more air.  Since building the Big Boy smoker I am filling 2 troughs side by side and then pushing out a little where they meet and starting the burn there.  The flames start each side and they burn evenly all the way down.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.