Author Topic: Bacon this week  (Read 61202 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Bacon this week
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »
Bacon looking good. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline rexster314

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 01:07:34 PM »
Hi Rexster - could you give some insight into your process?  I have wanted to try this but really have no idea how.  Your final product looks incredible.  Thanks

This is a down and dirty example: buy pork belly(ies), using cure calculator http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html make the appropriate amount of cure, rub down the belly, put in a Ziploc bag, let cure for no longer than 10 days (I do 8 days) in a refrigerator @ 380, remove the belly and let it soak in a container for about an hour to hour and a half, slice a small piece off and cook it to check the saltiness, if ok then put in your smoker using your choice of smoke until the desired smoke has taken effect, remove from smoker, wrap with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight. Next day take out and slice up your bacon.
This is my routine that I've found works for me. I would highly suggest you read up on the process here and other smoking forums to help you decide how you want to do your bacon. Some people do a wet brine. I don't do that because I don't have the space to do that. I've been doing a dry cure since I started in 2005 and doubt if I will ever change. It works for me, I get the results I want.
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline TecCrash

• It's not just the grill smokin...
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »
Very nice!   That is on my list of things I want to try!

Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle
Camp Chef Explorer with Griddle
Generic Gasser - GONE - Got something else to store my stuff in.