Author Topic: Pizza Oven Built In Granite Falls  (Read 6620 times)

Offline man7sell

Pizza Oven Built In Granite Falls
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:33:47 PM »
As requested here's an outline of the wood fired pizza oven at my property in Granite Falls WA.

First is to build the platform. A stable concrete base to build the structure.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Capt. Paul

Offline man7sell

Re: Pizza Oven Built In Granite Falls
« on: September 08, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
Concrete blocks as a base, 4 high to get the right level for the oven. These bring the level up to a comfortable height for cooking.

Capt. Paul

Offline man7sell

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:45:50 PM »
Continuing on, the door opening is for wood storage. A right angle steel supports the top. Then fill the holes with rocks and concrete.

The top is created by putting in a 3/4" plywood piece supported by 1" pipe in the center. The plywood sits about 3' - 4" down below the lip and a frame around the outside to end up with a concrete top about 6" deep. Lots of scrap re-bar the strengthen the top.

Extended the base so that there is somewhere solid to stand on while cooking. This will be extended more when I build the smoker/BBQ along side.

Capt. Paul

Offline man7sell

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:48:53 PM »
Now starts the fun part, designing the dome. Basically it's an igloo shape that is not a pure dome, it's flattened on the top to reflect the fire/heat down to the cooking surface.

4" insulation is cut out for the base. the inside diameter of this oven is 42" which is quite large.

Measuring and marking center lines.

The cooking surface is fire brick tiles. i used 12" square. The larger they are the better but they get real spendy when they get bigger than that.

Capt. Paul

Offline man7sell

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
Using mortar made for high heat, the cooking floor the first row of Solders (Vertical) firebricks are mortared in place. The transition to the entrance is angle cut bricks. You need a good tile saw for this job. I wore out 2 blades before it was all done.

Good time to sand the cooking surface. I didn't. Made it very difficult once the top was on. Lesson learned.

Now it's time to cut the rows of bricks. Notice the ones around the circumference are half bricks. This is both for weight and heated mass. Using full bricks would take way too long to come to temperature.

Capt. Paul

Offline man7sell

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
Notice the tool used to hold the bricks in place while the set. By the time the next brick is buttered the tool can be moved around.

shape of each brick will be the same for it's row but different for each progressive row. A good tile cutter is a must for this as every brick will need to be shaped.

Capt. Paul

Offline man7sell

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
Chimney hole done. Working into the night ;)
Any excess made mortar is spread on the exterior.

Bricks cut for the next row, sitting in a water bath.

Capt. Paul

Offline man7sell

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »
Nearing the top you have to get a little inventive as the bricks are set almost verticale. The last KEY brick holds it all in place.
Next the exterior is covered in mortar. Chimney set in place. (I later raised this for more draft. The chimney is made of 8" Chimney liners.
Once this is dried, a layer of fiberglass insulation like you would find between a household oven and the exterior to isolate the heat, is added the the exterior of the dome. This is held in place with wire. then a layer of cement is put over the while thing to tie in with the concrete surround.
At this point slow low burns are done to cure the oven. Each burn gets it a little hotter. After about 6 burn cycles it should be ready for cooking. I starting a mosaic on the outside for that artsy look. 8)

Capt. Paul

Offline man7sell

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »
Flat glass and glass bead used to make this 3D mosaic. I call it An Octopuses Garden. Soooooo think British music, what's the name of the octopus?

Capt. Paul

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
WOW - THAT's a project!  We are not too far down the road in the Mill Creek area - maybe we will be able to smell the pizza cooking soon  :P

I look forward to seeing many more posts.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline man7sell

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 03:04:03 PM »
Slow burns a required to cure the oven, after about a week of slowly increasing the temperatures until it's time to cook.

Capt. Paul

Offline man7sell

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 03:06:47 PM »
Slow burns a required to cure the oven, after about a week of slowly increasing the temperatures until it's time to cook.

It's up and running now, been cooking pizzas and other food stuffs for over a year. You should have smelt it in Mill Creek ;)

Capt. Paul

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »
Oh my goodness gracious - that is incredible! I am at a loss for words other than WOW!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Pizza Oven Built In Granite Falls
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
Oh my goodness gracious - that is incredible! I am at a loss for words other than WOW!

X2.   You have some serious skills.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:43:55 PM by Pappymn »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 05:06:16 PM »
That is a fantastic project. It shows great workmanship and great skills. I would love to taste a pizza from that Octopuses Garden.