Author Topic: Homemade smoker. 5feet x five feet x 2.5 feet deep. Power needed  (Read 2296 times)

Offline sksmokeman

Homemade smoker. 5feet x five feet x 2.5 feet deep. Power needed
« Reply #-1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:43:11 AM »
Can I get enough heat from 2 big 110v elements?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
I am curious...why do you want to go electric with it? It ill be like running 2 large water heaters - full time...

Is the box insulated? You might want to consider a pellet smoker fire pot and hopper assembly....?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline DWard51

Re: Homemade smoker. 5feet x five feet x 2.5 feet deep. Power needed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »
What are you going to smoke in it?  Snack sticks, Jerky and sausage can be smoked at lower temps (topping in the 165-170* range), but if you want something like chicken, you need to be 325* or more so it makes a difference.  Also is it insulated?

Photos would help too.

Offline sksmokeman

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »
Large batches of sausage and i guess my other question is can i get away with two 110 elements

Offline sksmokeman

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
The box is highly insulated

Offline sksmokeman

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »
Here is the picture.  I will have a convection fan on one end.  I want it to be plug and play.  I have kids and want to be able to run errands and such then come back and still have my machine working as when i left. 
It is my first build and I have been wondering what to heat it with.  Propant is simple but expensive for an eight hour smoke.  I was going to put on a PID controller.  I have my own smoke generator outside the box piped into the box.  Convection fan will be put in tomorrow.  Not worried about two big elements, i'm not going to be running it every day.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »
My primary concern would be keeping the heat even between the 3 sections.  As to 2 110v elements, you could, but you need to also be thinking about what electrical power is available where you will use the smoker.  A 1,500 watt 110v element is pulling around 13.65 amps when on.  So two of them is 27.27 amps and would give you 3,000 watts of heat (more heat is better with a larger volume of air column to be heated like in a bigger smoker box).  You would need a 30amp RV circuit at your house to make that work.  Not many folks have them.  If you are going to be running a dedicated outlet specially for the smoker, going 220v would be better.   With 110v at 3,000 watts you need a 10 gauge or larger wire.  But with 220v you could stay with 12 no problem (actually 14 would work, but bigger is still better and 12 is uber common).   If you wanted to run 3 110v elements (1 in each section), then you are looking at 4500 watts if you stay with 1,500 watt elements.  You would have to be on 220v at that point, but you could split it into individual 110v legs at the smoker, but you are still looking at at least 10 gauge wiring.   Even though the elements will be pulsed by a PID controller and not be on full all the time, the wiring needs to be rated to handle full power all the time for safety.

Have you tried any testing with a single element and the convection fan yet to see what the temp spread is and how even it is between the chambers?  I would hate to do a lot of work and find out the airflow between chambers from the fan is not what is needed.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:09:52 AM »
The box is highly insulated

That is because the "box" is a factory built proofer... ;) :D But, proofers are designed to be in an indoor environment - which is a warm kitchen. Though it is well insulated, that insulation is designed to perform at a max of approx. 250F - again - in a warm kitchen. And - I can't tell from the pictures if this is a glass door model. If so, your insulate capacity is lower. Insulated glass is not as efficient as the foam layer or rock wool used in the walls, floor, and top.
Likely you want to introduce smoke inside this proofer? That means - it goes outside - unless you seek a divorce - should you answer to a lady of the house ;D. And - as we cannot control the temperature of our weather....you might find the real struggle of keeping it at a temperature that is consistent - ( and the power bill to do so...) as DWard points out, - will be problematic.

DWard51 is explaining exactly what my concerns are about your project. And - I love projects. But, I think this is one that I would quietly back away from - due to the complexity of the electrical service required to run it.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sksmokeman

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »
Electrical service isn't an issue.  I wired a 40 volt service to my garage and am running a Auberins 7000 watt PID to it along with 2  3000 watt elements to run it.

Using a home built smoke daddy for external smoke to be piped in

Offline sksmokeman

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »
Some Pictures

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
Looking good, looking forward to other pictures
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
Looks like new guy is handy in the shop!  ;D I LOVE the DIY projects. So - please keep us posted with your pictures AND explanations of what the significance of each is. Think of it as your notes or journal...Makes for a good "How To" ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sksmokeman

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
Equipping with an Auberins PID   7000 watt (on order)  Controller will hang on the smoker and plug into a wall outlet.
PID also has 2   120 outlets in which one will run my convection fan.
Will have all elements wired into a 240 welder plug and an inline junction box for quick breaker kicking.
All wiring will be 8 guage and originating from a 40 amp breaker.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=631

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
Very nicely done!

Have you considered a DC rectified fan? One that you can adjust the fan speed? That may help you regulate moisture and make it easier to maintain temperature....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sksmokeman

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 12:19:13 AM »
I likely would have if I knew these things, lol.  I get where you are going.  I Might have to explore this option