Author Topic: LTBBQ COOKBOOK....?  (Read 74581 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: LTBBQ COOKBOOK....?
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »
I like your site pz! Looks simple enough to find what you are looking for and after browsing
a few of the recipes I like the way the step by step instructions run. Great job and I bookmarked
the site for easy reference!

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline pz

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »
Thanks Mike,
If Tee agrees, I'd like it to be renamed to something like "Welcome to Let's Talk BBQ recipes" or whatever the LTBBQ administration deems appropriate. A recipe site administrator can be assigned or elected, whatever Tee decides. I am simply happy to provide the infrastructure if it is wanted.

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
I would be a heavy user of the proposed cookbook.  (Is that what it's called when it's a database?)  I agree with HighOnSmoke. 
I I like the way the step by step instructions run.

As I re-read this before posting I realized that it's sort of a rant about what I often don't understand when reading recipes.

To be useful for me the Ingredients and Directions sections need to be complete and specific so that any beginner (like me) can follow them and produce the expected result.  Some posts appear to assume that the user will have skills well above entry level.

For instance, even instructions to "grill over medium heat" are rather vague for me.  My three grills top out at widely different temperatures so, to me, medium (if that's the middle temperature) isn't the same from one to the other.  A cheap oven thermometer will provide a temperature at grate level.

Don't guess at variables.  If it's a time interval, time it with a stopwatch 'cause I'll use a stopwatch when I follow the recipe.  One recipe I was following gave a flame setting and an interval for leaving something over the direct grilling portion of my pellet grill.  Either the flame setting or the time was wrong.  The result was a new charcoal supply.  When possible give target internal temperatures.

Here's an excerpt from one of my recipes that I shared with some friends as an example of what I mean.  I tried to write it so that nothing is left to interpretation—

Directions
1.   Preheat the smoker to 350°.
2.   Lay out all measured ingredients before starting.  Some steps go fast and you won't have time to find what you need and measure.
3.   Brown the sausage in a tablespoon of oil.  Set it aside in a bowl.
4.   Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package, usually 8 to 10 minutes.  Add the kale during the last three minutes.
5.   Drain the pasta/kale and return it to the pot.
6.   Add the onion and two tablespoons of oil to the skillet.  Season with ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper and cook it covered, stirring occasionally, until tender (six or eight minutes).
7.   Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
8.   Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and cook, stirring, for one minute.
9.   Stirring constantly, gradually add the milk.  Simmer, keeping it well-stirred, until somewhat thickened (two or three minutes).

There's more to the recipe but you get the idea.

Okay, that's enough of a rant.  Again, you get the idea.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas