Author Topic: Hickory Smoked Kerrygold Dubliner Cheddar  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Hickory Smoked Kerrygold Dubliner Cheddar
« Reply #-1 on: December 30, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »
Dec 30 2013

I decided not to cook today, time for a rest and eat leftovers or carry ins. It was only 24 deg.F  today. I had a 2 lb. block of some Kerrygold Irish Dubliner cheddar to use up or freeze. I thought it was a perfect time to smoke some cheese.

I let the cheese get to room temp and cut 3 chunks off. I had loaded my Amazen tube smoker with Cookin Pellets 100% hickory and got it lit and smoking then put the cheese in.I had figured on a two hour smoke from past smokes.  It took about 10 minutes to get the temp above freezing. After one hour it was still only 36 deg. From the past my smoker seemed to do better with a clothespin under the bottom lip of the lid for more air. I removed it to try and raise the temp.

I was thinking it could be possible to cold smoke cheese at too low of temp. I searched the net and could not find too much on it. After two hours the temp was at 50 deg. I pulled one chunk off. It smelled like smoke. I vacuum packed it. I let the other two go another ½ hour. After vacuuming those two I got the one I did for two hours and there was a definite richer darker color.

My thoughts now are it can be too cold to smoke cheese. I will answer my question in two weeks. For my setup it is probably better to do it when the ambient temp is above 40 deg. I don’t care for cheese that is overly smoked and it covers the taste of the cheese. The first time I smoked some I did it for 3 hours and then cut it back to 2 hours for my taste. I think this is the first time I have tried hickory; I used apple wood before.

I would be glad to hear anyone's comments on being too cold to smoke cheese.

The Cheese

Nice Smoke I got steady 2 1/2 hrs.

The clothespin removed after 1 hour

2 1/2 hours and the tube is only about 1/2 gone

Deeper color on the two I did for 2 1/2 hours

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Hickory Smoked Kerrygold Dubliner Cheddar
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »
Sounds real good!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »
Just a guess but if it was below freezing the cheese would not absorb any smoke.

Yours looks to be great ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pappymn

Hickory Smoked Kerrygold Dubliner Cheddar
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 04:27:44 PM »
Bet that is going to be tasty
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »
Don, my understanding is as long as the pit temp is above freezing the cheese can absorb smoke. The colder the pit temp, the slower the cheese will absorb smoke.

Where did you get the Kerrygold cheese? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
Don, my understanding is as long as the pit temp is above freezing the cheese can absorb smoke. The colder the pit temp, the slower the cheese will absorb smoke.

Where did you get the Kerrygold cheese? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some.
I got it at Sam's Club, This was almost getting too old but I think it will be OK. I like their butter too but expensive even at Sam's. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/