Author Topic: Smoking cheese and out of apple pellets.....Now what?  (Read 12833 times)

Offline Sailor1

Smoking cheese and out of apple pellets.....Now what?
« Reply #-1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »
Publix had cheese on sale over the weekend for $1.60 off each 1 pound pack so I loaded up on Extra sharp, sharp, medium sharp and Muenster.  13 pounds in all so saved $20.80.  The temps here are in the 60's so I wanted to take advantage of the cool temp and smoke them up.  Went looking for my apple pellets and hog dang I was flat out of them.  Now what to do?  Well I find a box of Bradley Apple pucks.  Hmmmmmmm wonder if I break them up and put them in my AMAZNPS would they smoke?  So I broke one puck up to test.  Looks like it will work so I break 3 up and put them in the maze and away we go.

Testing the broke up puck. 

Looks like smoke to me.

I'm thinking this is going to work

Cheese loaded in the racks and headed to the smoker

Just starting the smoke.  Will put 2 hrs of smoke on them

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline RAD

Re: Smoking cheese and out of apple pellets.....Now what?
« on: January 29, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
Nice way to over come and adapt - I am still waiting on mine from a couple of weeks ago.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:45:35 PM »
Just in case anyone is wondering what the toothpicks are for......Well, one pick is medium sharp and 2 picks are sharp.  I think I can tell the muenster and that would leave the extra sharp.  I wrote that down too so I could remember.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »
Looks excellent Jim, Since I sold my Bradley and saw this I'm thinking I could smoke cheese in the SRG and use my Amazin smoker tube at the bottom maybe. Anyone ever try that?

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
Good idea on the picks. Man you folks have cheap daily prices :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RAD

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
Looks excellent Jim, Since I sold my Bradley and saw this I'm thinking I could smoke cheese in the SRG and use my Amazin smoker tube at the bottom maybe. Anyone ever try that?
No, but I did use my CB electric smoker w/o heat. Not sure if the srg will give you the smoke you are looking for with all the open space.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:42:27 PM »
Nice way to adjust and continue to drive on.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:47:15 PM »

Key - you can invert a cardboard box, poke a hole or 2 down low on the sides, then poke a hole in the top of the box....put a couple of cookie cooling racks on the driveway or patio - put the cheese on 'em - light up a smoker tube or maze, set the box on it - and VIOLA! you have a 'disposable' smoker!

If you have a source for heavy duty cardboard boxes -  like an appliance box - you are in great shape.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Smoking cheese and out of apple pellets.....Now what?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
OMG! Sailor1, is that a smoker inside a Bradley smoker ;):D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 03:25:58 AM »
Looks like it will be a nice batch.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 03:39:05 AM »
Cheese looks like it is going to be real good. I use the toothpick trick quite often, not only
with cheese but with the levels of heat in ABT's, etc.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
No, but I did use my CB electric smoker w/o heat. Not sure if the srg will give you the smoke you are looking for with all the open space.
  I was concerned about the O2 needed for the amazin smoker, it would only get it from the grease drip hole.

Key - you can invert a cardboard box, poke a hole or 2 down low on the sides, then poke a hole in the top of the box....put a couple of cookie cooling racks on the driveway or patio - put the cheese on 'em - light up a smoker tube or maze, set the box on it - and VIOLA! you have a 'disposable' smoker!

If you have a source for heavy duty cardboard boxes -  like an appliance box - you are in great shape.
Thanks Tim, great idea!!! I think I may make something similar too your idea but keep it off the moss ;) This is the green state yah know :)

Offline RAD

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »
  I was concerned about the O2 needed for the amazin smoker, it would only get it from the grease drip hole.

I've used it for cheese and beef jerky in the smoker and it burned the smoke w/o issue. 
Love to cook and eat

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
All I have for smoking is an electric bullet smoker from Lowes.I get all my smoke from the amazen smoker dust style one.Super for cold smoking,worked for a rookie and novice like me.

I think the amazen smoker is pure genius.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.