Author Topic: Referencing Other Forums & Giving Credit - Please Read!  (Read 13801 times)

Offline Admin3

• Administrator
Referencing Other Forums & Giving Credit - Please Read!
« Reply #-1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
Referencing other Forums & Giving Credit Where Credit is Due

Recently it became evident that this was somewhat of a gray area.  First off, on ANY forum it's generally considered bad form to post in a way that promotes another forum. HOWEVER, it's also considered bad form to re-post or post about a recipe without giving proper credit.

Here are some simple guidelines for referencing other forums.

1) Direct linking to another forum is absolutely NOT allowed without permission!

2) Avoid trash-talk or degrading another forum. Remember, we're not anti-other-forums, in fact we have many members who are also members of other forums. Let's let our friendly environment speak for itself!

4) If you're re-posting a recipe, or posting photos of a cook that you got from another site, follow these guidelines:
  • If the original poster is also a member here, there's no need to mention the other forum/blog. Just give credit to the member.
  • If the original poster is NOT a member here, then please keep it simple. Post something such as, "Credit for this recipe goes to 'So-&-So' from the 'Such-&-Such' forum/blog,"  and leave it at that.  This way credit is given without promoting the other site.
5) If you're posting an actual recipe, and not just photos, then PLEASE, MAKE SURE you have permission to re-post it, ESPECIALLY if the original poster is not a member here!

6) DON'T PLAGIARIZE! Don't take credit for something that is clearly not yours. If you modify someone else's recipe, feel free to mentioning it.

7) If you're unsure if you should post something, feel free to contact one of the moderators before posting.

We have a great forum with friendly members. It's up to us to keep it that way! :)

Thanks,

The LTBBQ Team

Offline Hub

Re: Referencing Other Forums & Giving Credit - Please Read!
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:15:13 AM »
Great rules to live by.  I often find my work posted all over the place.  I'm honored that it is liked but hate when I don't get attribution.  The worst is when somebody just outright takes it and puts their name on it. 

I'd add one thing:  Be aware of copyrights.  If you see one that means you need to request permission to reprint/repost and may even have to pay for it.  They are easy to overlook or miss and the advent of the Internet is writing new copyright law.  When I sell an article, I try to protect my buyer but I still see tons of illegal copies.

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »
Very worthwhile input Hub! I will ask for a modification of the above post to reflect the importance of copyrights and permission.
Thank you for your valued insights.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
Well put and a very fair way to handle what can be a sticky issue.