Author Topic: More Smoke Please  (Read 6898 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: More Smoke Please
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07:14 PM »
Steve I have ben thinking about the PBC/Amazen Tube dilemma ....

Here is an experiment that may work, *IF* you are not cooking at the same time ( in other words - pre-cold smoking in the PBC, then firing up the charcoal)

Try removing the rebar, and even cracking the lid a little. We know that do ing this will allow the PBC to run hotter, because it allows more air thru-put, so...it should work for cold smoking.

The downside is when you are trying to cook AND use the smoker tube - the competition for air, and it may shoot your cooking temps too high, thus accelerating the burn rate on the Tube also...negating your attempt to smoke with - rather than burn pellets.

Let us know what you find.
Thanks!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline steve0617

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »

Here is an experiment that may work, *IF* you are not cooking at the same time ( in other words - pre-cold smoking in the PBC, then firing up the charcoal)

Try removing the rebar, and even cracking the lid a little. We know that do ing this will allow the PBC to run hotter, because it allows more air thru-put, so...it should work for cold smoking.

The downside is when you are trying to cook AND use the smoker tube - the competition for air, and it may shoot your cooking temps too high, thus accelerating the burn rate on the Tube also...negating your attempt to smoke with - rather than burn pellets.

Thanks!
T

I'll freely admit to being a total chicken when it comes to cold smoking and allowing meat to sit there in that supposed danger zone of temps. Rather than mess with that, and since I'm doing a full brisket today, I'm going to experiment with the some chunks on top of the unlit charcoal then I'll dump the chimney lit coals on top of that.
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »
Place a "mini log" or 2-3 large chunks in charcoal pan then place unlit charcoal on top , then lit charcoal on top of that.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »

Thanks!
T

I'll freely admit to being a total chicken when it comes to cold smoking and allowing meat to sit there in that supposed danger zone of temps. Rather than mess with that, and since I'm doing a full brisket today, I'm going to experiment with the some chunks on top of the unlit charcoal then I'll dump the chimney lit coals on top of that.

And - you are smart about approaching cold smoking with caution. It can be done - safely. And the information is available. No need to risk anyone's health if you are not confident in your method.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline steve0617

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 12:45:36 PM »

Thanks!
T

And - you are smart about approaching cold smoking with caution. It can be done - safely. And the information is available. No need to risk anyone's health if you are not confident in your method.

Exactly. I'll try different smoke methods/woods/chunks/devices and then maybe I'd try cold smoking. But I'm not there yet.

I did three chunks in the basket then lit coals on top last night for my brisket and although the hickory flavor was mild, it was there. More experimenting needed.
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »
Been thinking about this as well. Would wood chunks in a foil pouch with holes poked in the top placed directly on top of lit coals work?