Author Topic: First full packer brisket. It was .... meh.  (Read 6705 times)

Offline steve0617

First full packer brisket. It was .... meh.
« Reply #-1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:05:10 PM »
9lb full packer untrimmed. Had been frozen and thawed at least once (was a freebie given to me by my brother in law, who works for a food distribution company. No clue if it had been frozen/thawed when I got it. I froze it at the time as my Cookshack was too small to cook this. Waited to thaw it until I got the PBC).

Kingsford Blue. Full basket. 40 briquettes removed and started in a Weber chimney. Added three chunks of hickory to unlit coals in basket. 20 mins in the chimney, dumped on the unlit basket coals then hung the meat.

Checked at 2 hours. Was going fine. Checked at 3. Still OK. Checked at 4 hours and was 160. Pulled, foiled, added some beef broth and onto the grate. Took about 1:30 more to get to 200 degrees per the Thermapen (so 5:30 hours total) and pulled it. Then wrapped it extra foil, toweled and coolered. In the cooler for about 90 minutes.

Was OK in the end. Flat was a bit dry and point was of course a bit fatty. OK smoke from the hickory. Definitely onto something will adding chunks under the lit coals. Wood almost completely burned down by the end. Ended up just chopping all the remaining sliced and unsliced pieces together and added a bit of the collected juices from the foil. With some BBQ sauce, won't be too bad reheated for either sandwiches or just eating with a fork.

A bit disappointed with the results but it could have been the meat itself was never going to be very tender since it was frozen/thawed at least once. It's also been in freezer for the better part of a year. That couldn't have helped.

Lots of fat

Different angle

LOTS of fat trimmed off

Point trimmed and folded back from flat per how Noah did it in the video

Hooked correctly

Charcoal basked with the 40 briquettes removed for the chimney but 3 chunks of hickory added

Brisket taken to 160 then foiled to 200. This is after resting for about 2 hours toweled and in the cooler

Flat sliced. Good smoke ring that didn't come through well in pics

Better smoke ring but not as pink as it actually was

Point side

Another point side

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:25:54 PM by steve0617 »
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: First full packer brisket. It was .... meh.
« on: April 11, 2015, 11:08:38 PM »
Looks fairly moist!!  That is hard to do without putting it in foil and adding a liquid.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:16:25 PM »
Steve
How long did you have the brisket wrapped toweled and in the cooler?
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline steve0617

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 11:26:26 PM »
Steve
How long did you have the brisket wrapped toweled and in the cooler?
CM

About 90 minutes or so.

Online smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 01:02:50 AM »
Darn, sure looks good  :(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »
Brisket looks moist to me.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »
Looks pretty good from here.  If the flat was dry without being crumbly, it was still probably underdone.  Instead of finishing based on a final temp, skewer the thickest part of the flat (the Thermapen works well for that too) until it probes like a room temp butter stick.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »
It does look good; especially the point (my favorite part).  I can see the smoke ring just fine.

Instead of finishing based on a final temp, skewer the thickest part of the flat (the Thermapen works well for that too) until it probes like a room temp butter stick.

What sliding_billy said!  :)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

First full packer brisket. It was .... meh.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:08:56 AM »
Looks great from Minnesota
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
Steve
I think S_Billy has it right. In the picture your have the meat looks moist. I have not made a whole packer yet on my PBC just a 6 lbs. flat. ( With price of briskets over $5.00 Lbs. for a packer and then toss out 10-15 % of it for fat waste, I'll wait or just wont buy it now.)  ???
I'm sure other folks will tell you, " its not ready till its ready" and that is poking the meat in the thickest portion of the meat with a fast read thermometer or toothpick and it should go in and out with little to no resistance. I have read where people have wrapped, toweled and stowed their briskets for 4 -6 hours to get it where they are satisfied. I on the other hand have smoked 10 or more briskets between 10 -14 lbs. over the past 4 years on my CB vertical gas smoker. I always allowed for at least 3 hours in the cooler and that seemed to be the magic number for me with my set up. But I have gone up to 4 hours because I thought it needed to be a little more tender. I have kept records of each and every item that I have smoked in the gas smoker, to maintain consistency and the quality that I and the family enjoys.
So, what I learned from all this data keeping was: #1 The data I collected gave me a good and consistent starting point in all type of conditions. #2. A good average for meat stalling temperatures and flavor I like. #3. All of the same types of meats are not created equal.  Which you mentioned. Temperatures are excellent indicators for each step of the process but it is not the end all or be all. Maybe 1 more hour in the cooler would have made it were you would have been satisfied with the outcome.  ???
Keep Cook'n
CM

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:33:55 AM by Chief Mac »
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Online smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »
One thing Bill Cannon told me years ago (and Bill Cannon has cooked his fair share of briskets) is to not trim the fat cap and cook the brisket fat cap down......

There are so many ways to cook a brisket.......... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
Steve one thing as you are aware of and mentioned that it had been frozen and thawed a couple times. This can change the texture of meat greatly. The ice crystals that reform into the meat destroy the cell structures and that is not good. So not your fault. You did well with what you had to work with.

With that being said the brisket does look good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline steve0617

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »
Looks pretty good from here.  If the flat was dry without being crumbly, it was still probably underdone.  Instead of finishing based on a final temp, skewer the thickest part of the flat (the Thermapen works well for that too) until it probes like a room temp butter stick.

Flat was definitely not crumbly. It was firm like an overdone roast. Just like all bad brisket I've ever had at a relative's house.

I guess I didn't realize I should toothpick test it for firmness like I do with St. Louis ribs. When my pork butts have been 195/200 or so, I just pull them and they always pull perfectly. Since this was my first packer ever, and from what I was reading, I just thought, like the butts, that 200 degrees was the magic number.

Good to know that it's the toothpick that determines doneness. I'll also get it in the cooker earlier so it can cooler longer. I usually do my butts at 10:00pm the night before (on my Cookshack) and they've done by 2:00pm or so the next day, so that almost always means 4 hours in the cooler before dinner. I'll try that time coolering next time on a packer.

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »
Brisket looks moist to me.

To me, too. Looks good.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »
First: Briskets can be just plain weird.  In contests, I've seen two cooked on the same cooker and one was great, the other so-so.

Second: The re-freeze couldn't help.

Last: It DOES look pretty good from here ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC