Author Topic: How to Close PBC Holes?  (Read 2387 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
How to Close PBC Holes?
« Reply #-1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »
I installed a forced-air system on my PBC (stoker) to provide finer temperature control.  As a result, I need to seal off most of the original 3" air inlet when lighting the charcoal and then completely seal it when using the stoker. 

Refrigerator magnet material purchased from Michael's Hobby and Craft Shop melts.

Any suggestions for a better way?  Maybe a tin can lid?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline hikerman

Re: How to Close PBC Holes?
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »
Paul how about two circles of sheet metal, form fitted to barrel's curvature, one inside one outside with a tightening bolt in center using large washers.

Offline pmillen

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:30:09 PM »
Good idea.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Sandman

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 04:23:40 PM »
I would like to see your setup after you get it where you like it. Thanks

Offline pmillen

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:37:38 PM »
I would like to see your setup after you get it where you like it. Thanks

There's not much to it.  I've only used it twice.  There are photos in this cook and this one.

I'll probably use hikerman's idea for sealing the original air inlet.
Paul

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:16 PM »
pmillen
Someone on the forum said that they were using 1" dia. real wine bottle corks? I was looking for something also and I found real magnets about 1/4 " thick and 1 1/8" dia. at Home Depot but I did not buy them because I thought that 1"dia. short or cut down stainless steel bolts which I already have, would work for my application, if and when I need them.  :-\
CM     
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »
Wine bottles corks.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
pmillen
Someone on the forum said that they were using 1" dia. real wine bottle corks? I was looking for something also and I found real magnets about 1/4 " thick and 1 1/8" dia. at Home Depot but I did not buy them because I thought that 1"dia. short or cut down stainless steel bolts which I already have, would work for my application, if and when I need them.  :-\
CM   

I think pmillen is mainly wondering about covering the 3" inlet at the bottom of the PBC, not the rebar holes at the top.
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline pmillen

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 09:35:19 AM »
I think pmillen is mainly wondering about covering the 3" inlet at the bottom of the PBC, not the rebar holes at the top.

Yup.  Some of my wine corks fit the rebar holes when I want to close them off, but I also need to seal the three-incher at the bottom.  That's the one that's giving me trouble.
Paul