Author Topic: First Two Cooks....  (Read 10096 times)

Offline rebeltruce

Re: First Two Cooks....
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »
A guess but maybe hook the baby backs on the thicker end and next time they won't tear?

Nope...as I said they were hooked per Noah's instructions. The issue was the first two bones were exposed, I took the chance that they would hold rather then trim them away.....I took a gamble and I lost. Won't happen again.

Noah specifically said in the old youtube rib video to hook it at the thicker end of the rib slab. Based on your pic of the small slab, it looks like you used the thinner end?

Exactly, and that's exactly what I did.....I've said the rack was a bit mangle and I should have trimmed it back two bones, but I was greedy and didn't want to lose two ribs. In the end I lost the entire rack, my fault, but it was in no way because the rack was hung incorrectly. Noah indeed said the thicker end not the wider end, in fact he makes the point that the smaller (narrower end) is the thicker end he refers to.

Offline viscera912

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »
chicken looks good man!!  all my cooks have been much shorter than noah's recommendation but ive started using lump coal for my chicken cooks and that lowers the time even more due to the hotter burn

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline rebeltruce

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »
chicken looks good man!!  all my cooks have been much shorter than noah's recommendation but ive started using lump coal for my chicken cooks and that lowers the time even more due to the hotter burn

Next chicken I do, I am going to try the Lump Charcoal as well!!!

Offline rebeltruce

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 06:46:58 AM »
The local mega mart had Picnic Shoulders on sale this week.....I'm going try one on my PBC tomorrow!

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 07:36:16 AM »
Keep a note book of your cook times and rubs used.  It comes in handy later, when you are trying to plan a dinner.  With the ribs, I usually cut the rack in half.  Then hang them individually, or back to back on the same hook.  If I have a lot to cook.  It keeps the ends from burning, also is less weight for the meat to hold.  Congratulations on 2 successful cooks.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 03:40:26 AM »
You have 8 hooks, cut those racks in half so they aren't so heavy and risking a fall if you over cook again. You can trim off 3-4 ribs and hang them alone.  Those are chef's personal treat for later.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 03:44:15 AM »
Go ahead and cook whatever you trim off of spare ribs and such. Put that stuff in your baked beans or a pot of chili. Or experiment. Try dousing with rub halfway through for ultra thick bark and snack on it while you wait for the bigger stuff to finish.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline jkruger

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 06:41:28 AM »
You could double hook those racks and wouldn't need to cut ribs off. I tried this a few weeks back and didn't have any issues.
PBC ,  Maverick  ET-733 , 18"  Original Weber kettle

Offline jkruger

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 06:58:07 AM »
With the second hooked to the first , but a few ribs down on the rack.
Sorry, that is as good as I can explain what I mean!!
PBC ,  Maverick  ET-733 , 18"  Original Weber kettle

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »
JK
 I think I got what you are trying to explain. Use the method for hooking a full packer brisket with the ribs?
I have tried  hooking the ribs similar to that because the racks were too long. If you are within 11/2" - 2" inches of the charcoal basket with the rib rack,  you run the risk of probably at minimum overcooking the last 2 rib segments. I burned mine and overcooked the 3rd lowest rib segment, trying to raise the rack, so it would not hang in the charcoal basket. IMO, and as per Paul Hart, I agree cut and then hang them.  I try to cut them in half or close to it so the cut racks are are at the same distance above the coals to help with even cooking.  :) :)
CM 
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline rebeltruce

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
Today is Brisket Day.....This will be Cook number four.

I did the Shoulder and Butt last week...still have to post the pictures....but they were both very good.

I baked a few Brioche Buns for sandwiches, along with some NC Fish Camp Slaw.  I thought they could have use a bit more smoke, but everyone else who tried raved about the Pulled Pork, and the buns. I threw three large chunks of Orange Wood in when I hung the meat...but it didn't seem to really provide any additional smoke flavor.

When I do the Brisket today I am going to try adding a foil pouch or two of Hickory chips....I'll post the Shoulder and Butt pictures along with the Brisket.

The Brisket is a full packer, I'm a little worried about the quality, bought it a Walmart...they also had some good looking Beef Ribs and Lamb Riblets...couldn't resist, had to buy two racks of each for the freezer. They'll be next weekends cook.

Offline rebeltruce

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 08:26:57 AM »
Picnic Shoulder and Butt.

In the PBC.

Picnic Shoulder and Butt just before wrapping.

I won't wrap next time, I like a nice crisp bark, the shoulder was beautiful, but the skin lost all of it's character after being wrapped.

Wrapped and back on the PBC.

The Butt.

Pulled and ready for sandwiches.

How about these Buns.

Finally todays project The Brisket! It's been sitting out for two hours, I rubbed it last night. I am going to give it another light dusting just before I hang it. I plan on hanging it at 10AM, it's a big brisket, so I'm thinking it may take 6-8 hours....we'll see.

Oh...my Sous Chef, and constant companion The Piglet, he wanted to take a selfie, but I was afraid he'd bust the camera....he is saying "look what's with all the pictures, when is that Brisket gonna be ready!"

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:38:50 AM by rebeltruce »

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »
rebeltruce
Other than the bark, were you satisfied with outcome of the pulled pork? When I saw the the pic of your Sous Chef I was thinking he looked a little stressed having to wait 6-8 hours on that brisket, for a some burnt ends.  ;D ;D. The pulled pork looks very good from here. :)
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline rebeltruce

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »
rebeltruce
Other than the bark, were you satisfied with outcome of the pulled pork? When I saw the the pic of your Sous Chef I was thinking he looked a little stressed having to wait 6-8 hours on that brisket, for a some burnt ends.  ;D ;D. The pulled pork looks very good from here. :)
CM

Hey Chief, I was more than satisfied! The taste and the tenderness were perfect, although I would have liked a little more smoke flavor. The Brisket was the best I've ever made....the Burnt Ends were phenomenal!

The Piglet had his fill of brisket and Burnt ends....LOL!!