Author Topic: Rack of Lamb  (Read 4309 times)

Offline DonR9

Rack of Lamb
« Reply #-1 on: April 24, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
From start to finish, at which point the dog asked if there were any left over for him. (e brought his rawhide chew to trade). The recipe was adapted from Michael Field's School of Cooking book, a book I purchased in the 1970's. It has a leg of lamb recipe that was to die for in the old days. Lamb was de-boned and butterflied, marinated in oil, garlic, onion and spices, then put under the broiler (smoke alarms hadn't been invented in those days). Because of the varying thickness of the lamb, everyone got what they wanted, from well done to medium rare.

I simply used a rack of lamb, marinated it, hooked it, and cooked it to 145 degrees. A dinner guest who "hates lamb" was blown away.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Rack of Lamb
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:35:03 PM »
Yum, those look great.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:07:49 AM »
Very nice (especially the last pic).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 05:32:12 AM »
Very nice, indeed!! 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 08:42:59 AM »
Looks great!

That plated one is perfectly cooked.

And I can't blame the dog for trying :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »
Looks great.  I love lamb, I am just to chicken to try and cook it.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »
This i a great way to cook lamb .
it looks amazing .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Pappymn

Rack of Lamb
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 03:32:57 PM »
Looks very good
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
Very tasty looking lamb!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 07:16:19 PM »
That looks very good. I wish I could convince my wife to try lamb...  :'( I'm saving this to try next time she goes to the lake.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline DonR9

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »
That looks very good. I wish I could convince my wife to try lamb...  :'( I'm saving this to try next time she goes to the lake.

The thing is, people who don't like lamb LOVE this recipe. Years ago, I had an aunt who claimed it made her ill to contemplate it much less eat it. Broiled the leg of lamb from the Michael Field recipe and she loved it. The dinner guest the other night also hates lamb, but loved it cooked this way. I've done racks with just the beef & game rub and with the Michael Field marinade (olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, a chopped onion, a couple of cloves of minced garlic, some bay leaf and some oregano). Either way, it really is killer. My next door neighbors called it the best lamb they've ever eaten. And the PBC makes is so easy. I'm at sea level, using competition Kingsford, and a rack cooks in about 45 minutes to 145 degrees. It is now my go-to entree. And, Buddie (the dog) is a fan as well. He sits by the PBC for the last 20 minutes of the cook.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:06:26 PM by DonR9 »
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 09:06:34 PM »

The thing is, people who don't like lamb LOVE this recipe. Years ago, I had an aunt who claimed it made her ill to contemplate it much less eat it. Broiled the leg of lamb from the Michael Field recipe and she loved it. The dinner guest the other night also hates lamb, but loved it cooked this way. I've done racks with just the beef & game rub and with the Michael Field marinade (olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, a chopped onion, some bay leaf and some oregano). Either way, it really is killer. My next door neighbors called it the best lamb they've ever eaten. And the PBC makes is so easy. I'm at sea level, using competition Kingsford, and a rack cooks in about 45 minutes to 145 degrees. It is now my go-to entree. And, Buddie (the dog) is a fan as well. He sits by the PBC for the last 20 minutes of the cook.

You've convinced me - I will give this a try for the whole family! Thank you.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline DonR9

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »
[/quote]

And try this sauce: Avgolemono: Combine in the top of a double boiler 3 egg yolks, 3T of lemon juice, 1 level t of arrowroot and 1 t of salt. Beat together with whisk, then slowly stir in 1 C of chicken stock. Cook sauce directly over moderate heat, but do not let it come to a boil (or the eggs will scramble). Stir continuously until sauce thickens to coat back of a spoon. Remove pot from heat and set it over hot but not boiling water in lower part of the double boiler. This will keep sauce warm until you're ready to use it over the lamb. If you like, add shopped parsley into the sauce just before pouring it into a hot sauce boat.

Now, if your wife still hates lamb, I will swear I told you not to try it on her. However, if she loves it, I shall gladly take credit for convincing you

TQB

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »
That looks tasty!!!!

Lamb is something I have never ate.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 01:17:10 PM »

And try this sauce: Avgolemono: Combine in the top of a double boiler 3 egg yolks, 3T of lemon juice, 1 level t of arrowroot and 1 t of salt. Beat together with whisk, then slowly stir in 1 C of chicken stock. Cook sauce directly over moderate heat, but do not let it come to a boil (or the eggs will scramble). Stir continuously until sauce thickens to coat back of a spoon. Remove pot from heat and set it over hot but not boiling water in lower part of the double boiler. This will keep sauce warm until you're ready to use it over the lamb. If you like, add shopped parsley into the sauce just before pouring it into a hot sauce boat.

Now, if your wife still hates lamb, I will swear I told you not to try it on her. However, if she loves it, I shall gladly take credit for convincing you
[/quote]

Deal!
Member #