Author Topic: question on cleaning the PBC  (Read 3173 times)

Offline viscera912

question on cleaning the PBC
« Reply #-1 on: April 26, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »
good morning everyone

i read the post in 2014 about cleaning the pbc and have never used water inside my drum but yesterday i did a cook with chicken that was wet marinated by my cousin.  there was a lot of oil and drippings that got on the bottom of the cooker away from the foil that i usually place under the basket.  there is a black patch of this oil complete with red chili flakes and the sort.  im guessing that moisture won't be the best on the bottom there, any idea how to get that stuff out properly or will some water and wiping be enough? thanks

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: question on cleaning the PBC
« on: April 26, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
It is the moisture and the charcoal ash that can be really bad! Although all moisture being collected won't be good.

Truthfully though I have rinsed out my PBC before. I did it on a hot summer day and made sure it completely dried out.

And plan for a cook so a hot bed of coals will finish the drying process.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
I have lined the bottom of my PBC with HD foil and it makes for easy cleaning and keeps your barrel bottom purdy......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
I've thought about this too...but I figure I'll just weld in a new bottom if it ever gets to that point, which I think it will take MANY years to disturb this thick steel.
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »
I've thought about this too...but I figure I'll just weld in a new bottom if it ever gets to that point, which I think it will take MANY years to disturb this thick steel.

Which is fine, but I sure don't like the sandy trail on the side of the barrel from pouring out the ashes. Just reach in and roll up the foil, add a new pc and you are back at it...just sayin............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 01:58:25 PM »

Which is fine, but I sure don't like the sandy trail on the side of the barrel from pouring out the ashes. Just reach in and roll up the foil, add a new pc and you are back at it...just sayin............

I'm with The Smoke on this...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline cgseymour

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
Hello All,
I also put the foil on the bottom.
And on the occasions where my more graceful side emerges and I spill some --
I use the shop vac to remove the spilt ash.

Thank you
PBC
CharBroil Big Easy
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »
I've actually put a decent amount of thought into upgrading my filter on the shop-vac to the HEPA variety so I can just vacuum up the ash too...
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 03:20:39 PM »
It sounds like its just oil from the cook.  Just wipe it out with some paper towels and it should be fine.  I use foil when I remember too.  Otherwise I use a piece of cardboard and scoop it out.  Don't sweat it to much, it takes a long time for metal to rust out.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline viscera912

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »
man that was quite a chore i didn't realize how much was caked up.  there is a moat type indention that runs the whole bottom edge of the barrel and at least half of that was full of this black caked up type texture.  i spent an hour or so cleaning that blasted edging with shop towels, wire brush, and old fashioned elbow grease.  no more wet marinated meat ever again in this cooker...... >:(