Author Topic: “Pit Barrel Cooker? Heck I could build one for less than $100!!!”  (Read 19116 times)

Offline TwoPockets

Well I don't have a PBC but I the the PIA factor of trying to build your own would be too high.
Ahhh Twopockets sometimes the "Thrill of the Build " is the best part of a cooker for us old guys !

Well John, at my advanced age is is all about "The Thrill Of The Beer" while I watch my food cook.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Well I don't have a PBC but I the the PIA factor of trying to build your own would be too high.
Ahhh Twopockets sometimes the "Thrill of the Build " is the best part of a cooker for us old guys !

Well John, at my advanced age is is all about "The Thrill Of The Beer" while I watch my food cook.

;D ;D ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline amshepar

I have never built an UDS, in fact I have never owned anything but the PBC (minus a mini grill for tailgating but that doesn't count).  I would think that replicating the PBC on a 55 gallon barrel would provide the same results.  I would assume the vent at the bottom might need to be slightly bigger to create the right proportional air flow.

I think the charcoal basket would also need to be slightly bigger in order to maintain the same level heat in a barrel with almost double the volume (I don't believe this would mean double the charcoal amount, maybe 20-25% more).  I also think that you don't necessarily need 100% of the volume of the 55 gallon barrel. 

Instead of using the bottom of the barrel welding a separate  base maybe 12" or so from the bottom and placing the vent hole above that would provide better results.  You don't have to keep the entire 55 gallon barrel hot then. 

Ultimately, you are creating even more surface area if you do grate cooking, or even more space to hang meats.  The problem with this entire theory is that there are so many variables that can be tinkered with it's not worth trying to replicate, at least from my perspective.  I'll just stick to hanging my meat on the awesome PBC and not worrying about it until the thermostat tells me it is ready!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
As the others have said, you probably couldn't duplicate a PBC for what you could buy one. But if budget is an issue, a UDS can be a pretty good smoker.  I built my UDS for about $70.
$15 for the barrel, got a weber kettle clone for $5 from a clearance bin at a Dollar general so that gave me the top lid, and 2 of the grates, misc hardware for $19, material to make the charcoal basket $16, thermometer $5. Once I got the material it took about 4-5 hours to put it together.

Once I learned it, I have had it hold temps of 225 for 9 hours. I have made some great BBQ on it. Is it as good as a PBC? Definitely not as far as finish etc.

There is no doubt that a 70.00 UDS can cook as good as a 10,000 smoker/trailer once the temps are mastered  8) 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline GusRobin

• Test
As the others have said, you probably couldn't duplicate a PBC for what you could buy one. But if budget is an issue, a UDS can be a pretty good smoker.  I built my UDS for about $70.
$15 for the barrel, got a weber kettle clone for $5 from a clearance bin at a Dollar general so that gave me the top lid, and 2 of the grates, misc hardware for $19, material to make the charcoal basket $16, thermometer $5. Once I got the material it took about 4-5 hours to put it together.

Once I learned it, I have had it hold temps of 225 for 9 hours. I have made some great BBQ on it. Is it as good as a PBC? Definitely not as far as finish etc.

There is no doubt that a 70.00 UDS can cook as good as a 10,000 smoker/trailer once the temps are mastered  8) 8)

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money at the time I would probably have just bought a PBC if they were available at the time. But it was fun scavenging for the parts and putting it together.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline DonR9

Maybe you could build a PBC for 100 bucks, but could you build one of these??

http://bit.ly/1F5AdMa
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
If you arent a welding King,I think the PBC is a stellar bargain.Have had some tremendous cooks,only failures have been mine,like a thermometer that didnt work.Getting to where I can just eyeball it,thats pretty good for a schmuck.Excellent value IMO.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
If you arent a welding King,I think the PBC is a stellar bargain.Have had some tremendous cooks,only failures have been mine,like a thermometer that didnt work.Getting to where I can just eyeball it,thats pretty good for a schmuck.Excellent value IMO.

Schmuck 2!

Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
I grew up when you repaired your flat tires, modified your own bikes, I remember putting a 4 barrel carburetor on my 1968 6 cylinder nova!
It's fun to build things!
To be honest the % of people who want to build cookers is small but to is its not about saving money it's about the gratification of building your own cooker !
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Bob c cue

Thanks everyone for your comments. I did post basically the same thread  on BBQ Brethren and got lots of feedback. I think just about everyone agreed that you couldn not build the new porcelain coated PBC with a new 30 gallon drum for less than three bills but there were a few tense moments during the discussion.

Someone brought up the fact that you can buy the new PBC barrel and lid for $159 and then do the rest yourself. Got me to thinking what a great bargain that is as I did receive a quote to porcelain coat a 30 gallon drum for $150 from a reputable company in KC. And the guy told me there was potential for the drum to warp and that the adhesive on the bottom wood ooze out. Again anyway you look at it the PBC is a wonderful cooker at a reasonable price.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
I grew up when you repaired your flat tires, modified your own bikes, I remember putting a 4 barrel carburetor on my 1968 6 cylinder nova!
It's fun to build things!
To be honest the % of people who want to build cookers is small but to is its not about saving money it's about the gratification of building your own cooker !

LA - I get it. When I was in Jr High I repaired my bike and all the bikes in the neighborhood. Led to me starting a bike shop in High school that paid for college. Loved working on my old Corvair, Austin Healy, and Mustang as well as my motorcycles. But as I got older, I have to confess... I like buying a well perfected grill. You are right - it's not always about saving money - sometimes it is just the fun of the chase... Thanks for reminding me.
Member #