Author Topic: Half basket charcoal help  (Read 3588 times)

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
Half basket charcoal help
« Reply #-1 on: May 10, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
I currently have two rack of ribs going in the ol' PBC. The last couple of rub cooks ive done have been done with plenty of charcaol left over. This time i tired to get fancy and go with a half basket of charcoal. Im using original KB. Im having a little trouble keeping my temps up. After less than an hour the temp dropped to 240, so i cracked the lid and got it back up to 285 and put lid back on. now its back down to 240 and the total cook time has been less than an hour and half.

Have any of you had any success using less than a full basket of charcoal? Is so, what did you do. I could just keep cracking the lid ever hour or so until the charcaol just peeters out, but i dont really want to do that. Im currently using both rebar. I could pull one out to try and keep the temp up.

I know that anything above 225 will get the job done, but i like the speed of the PBC so id like to be able to cook faster and with less charcoal on these smaller cooks. May not be possible.

I know big does "crazy things" with great success, but im specifically asking for help when using KB. Thanks guys!
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline amshepar

Re: Half basket charcoal help
« on: May 11, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »
My understanding is that the PBC runs typically in the 275-300 range, so having your lid cracked and the temperature at 285 might be fine.  The only issue I might see is too much airflow will cause the charcoal to burn out faster.  I still think that you would get enough charcoal time to cook the ribs, 2.5 to 3 hours (I wouldn't push beyond the 3.5 hour mark). 

I also think that the more delicate, longer cooking meats (ribs, turkey, brisket) should follow the full basket instructions from all the videos.  I would be mad at myself for trying to save a little charcoal but not be able to finish cooking the meat. 

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:37:48 PM »
My understanding is that the PBC runs typically in the 275-300 range, so having your lid cracked and the temperature at 285 might be fine.  The only issue I might see is too much airflow will cause the charcoal to burn out faster.  I still think that you would get enough charcoal time to cook the ribs, 2.5 to 3 hours (I wouldn't push beyond the 3.5 hour mark). 

I also think that the more delicate, longer cooking meats (ribs, turkey, brisket) should follow the full basket instructions from all the videos.  I would be mad at myself for trying to save a little charcoal but not be able to finish cooking the meat.

X2     The only drawback (if you can call it a drawback) is the inability of the PBC to save coal once the cook is done. We have some PBC drivers here that have figured that out though. Hopefully they will share their methods in this thread.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
I never use a full basket for ribs. In my opinion, 240 is fine for ribs. But if you want higher temps, hang the ribs on one rebar and take the other one out. Block one hole with a wine cork or foil.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline viscera912

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »
ive followed biggs approach with the wine corks and foil.  i had one cook that fell flat because my dumb self didn't use enough coal.   from that time on ive just filled up the basket full and when cook was done id throw foil in all the holes and have saved/reused all remaining coal.  im done with trying to find a good level where to do cooks....just filler up and cork it to turn off the coal.  just my humble opinion ;D

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »
ive followed biggs approach with the wine corks and foil.  i had one cook that fell flat because my dumb self didn't use enough coal.   from that time on ive just filled up the basket full and when cook was done id throw foil in all the holes and have saved/reused all remaining coal.  im done with trying to find a good level where to do cooks....just filler up and cork it to turn off the coal.  just my humble opinion ;D

I like your way of thinking  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 12:44:42 AM »
Here you go. Competition briquettes, 1 hour Chicken.
Banked away from the Chicken prevents coals from cooling down.

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
Are you still able to cook that chicken in an hour with that little amount of charcoal?
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 03:10:30 PM »
I currently have two rack of ribs going in the ol' PBC. The last couple of rub cooks ive done have been done with plenty of charcaol left over. This time i tired to get fancy and go with a half basket of charcoal. Im using original KB. Im having a little trouble keeping my temps up. After less than an hour the temp dropped to 240, so i cracked the lid and got it back up to 285 and put lid back on. now its back down to 240 and the total cook time has been less than an hour and half.

Have any of you had any success using less than a full basket of charcoal? Is so, what did you do. I could just keep cracking the lid ever hour or so until the charcaol just peeters out, but i dont really want to do that. Im currently using both rebar. I could pull one out to try and keep the temp up.

I know that anything above 225 will get the job done, but i like the speed of the PBC so id like to be able to cook faster and with less charcoal on these smaller cooks. May not be possible.

I know big does "crazy things" with great success, but im specifically asking for help when using KB. Thanks guys!

I just got my PBC and today is my second cook....a 8lb butt. Yesterday I cooked chicken quarters and chased temps. the whole cook. Some people don't seem to worry about temps on the PBC, but if Noah says it suppose to cook at temps between 275 and 310 degrees, I want know that's whats happening. After yesterday cook today I did a old UDS trick...fold some foil and put under one side of lid. Fold it about 4 times and it will run hot...just start pressing lid down antil you get your temop. I have been running 189 for hours...problem solved.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:30:20 PM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]