Author Topic: First brisket on PBC. Not sure what went wrong  (Read 10658 times)

Offline SPAM

First brisket on PBC. Not sure what went wrong
« Reply #-1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:32:16 PM »
Got a 10lb prime brisket from Costco at 3.69 a lb last week. Injected with beef broth. Rubbed with pepper, salt, and granulated garlic. Got the PBC fired up with KB and a couple chunks of cherry wood. Got the brisket hanging (not pretty cuz I had to choke up on the hooks to keep it outta the coals) at 12:40pm. After 1 hr meat temp was 105. 1hr 30 at 122. After 3 hrs at 138. 4 hr mark and only at 140 so I decided to add another small chimney. Wrapped at 6pm (5hrs 20 min. Into the cook) with internal temp of 149 and hadn't budged for a while.
 Brother stopped by, so made a couple drinks and then a couple more....next thing I know temp is 207. Took off the brisket in a panic at 8:35pm. Cambro for two hours, then sliced. Was amazing. Surprisingly not dry at all. Just the opposite. Will post pics when I figure out how to do that. No problems with the outcome, but why is it taking me 8 hours to cook a ten pounder when it seems everyone else is cooking 14-16 pounders in 6-7 hours. ( I know, done when it's done  :))
KB was dry, vent 1/4 way open, lit with 40 coals in small chimney and basket was full once I poured em in. Maybe I should try opening the vent a little more? Not sure. Any ideas?
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: First brisket on PBC. Not sure what went wrong
« on: May 14, 2015, 07:42:25 AM »
Briskets can take some time. Not every brisket is the same.

But you pulled it off at the right temp. I like 205F to 210F myself.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 08:02:57 AM »
Do you know what temp you had in the pit?  Different lighting methods, charcoal moisture, chunk size and placement, etc can all have an impact on how hot a barrel pit is running.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:15:50 AM »
14-16 pounders getting done in 6-7 hours is using some pretty high heat.
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »
All I can tell you is, the ends justify the means!
All briskets are not created equal. This is where the Maverick earns it's keep!

Offline SPAM

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »

I was shootin for 203 but I definitely can't complain about the outcome.
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:46:53 PM »
a brisket aint done until a probe slides in and out like butter.....after the brisket hits the stall, I put away my thermo.............

all briskets are not created equal and they all cook so different.................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline SPAM

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 01:01:03 PM »
a brisket aint done until a probe slides in and out like butter.....after the brisket hits the stall, I put away my thermo.............

all briskets are not created equal and they all cook so different.................

With that in mind, do you keep opening the cooker to probe it? I'm sure you have it down to a science, but I would be paranoid about over cooking it or just constantly taking the lid off to check it. I guess practice makes perfect...back to Costco, and I will tell my wife you guys said it was mandatory homework!  :D
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »

I was shootin for 203 but I definitely can't complain about the outcome.

203 is my target too knowing it will keep cooking up to about 208 after I pull it off the smoker and put it in the cooler.
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 01:19:03 PM »

With that in mind, do you keep opening the cooker to probe it? I'm sure you have it down to a science, but I would be paranoid about over cooking it or just constantly taking the lid off to check it. I guess practice makes perfect...back to Costco, and I will tell my wife you guys said it was mandatory homework!  :D

certain grades of briskets will cook differently. I do not cook briskets in my PBC anymore. I prefer the lo and slo route when I do briskets.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »
Your barrel might have been running on the cool side.  When I use the chimney method.  I dump the coals and let them go in the barrel for 5min with the lid off, before adding the meat.  That gives it a chance to start the coals below it.  My barrel runs between 250 and 275, most of the time.  I have a cheap oven thermometer I wrap around one of the rebar.  Its handy to know what its running at, so you can adjust your times for other things. 
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline SPAM

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 01:00:12 AM »
Your barrel might have been running on the cool side.  When I use the chimney method.  I dump the coals and let them go in the barrel for 5min with the lid off, before adding the meat.  That gives it a chance to start the coals below it.  My barrel runs between 250 and 275, most of the time.  I have a cheap oven thermometer I wrap around one of the rebar.  Its handy to know what its running at, so you can adjust your times for other things.

Good to know Tekn. I also used the chimney start. However, I put the meat on right away. I will wait five with the lid off and see what happens. Thanks.
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »
I can't comment on the PBC and brisket - but SERIOUSLY????? Costco prime brisket for under $4 a pound???  I live just up the road from the Costco headquarters and it is nearly $7.00 a pound for Choice brisket at our Costco!   You are very lucky to get that kind of a price  :D :D
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline SPAM

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 10:14:01 PM »
I can't comment on the PBC and brisket - but SERIOUSLY????? Costco prime brisket for under $4 a pound???  I live just up the road from the Costco headquarters and it is nearly $7.00 a pound for Choice brisket at our Costco!   You are very lucky to get that kind of a price  :D :D

I know right. I had called first to see if they had whole packers and when he said he had those for that price I thought he was mistaken, but I went to check anyway. I should have gone on my lunch hour because by the time I got there after work they only had one left. I took a pic too and will post it after I get a posting pic tutorial tomorrow. Hahaha
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline viscera912

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 01:35:49 PM »
costco had prime full packers for 3.30/lb in arlington tx last weekend!!!  with that being said i've done 5 packers (from costco) and frankly i like the point much better than the flat so ive just been doing choice points recently.  with the packers i noticed that it took quite a while to cook and i had to keep opening the lid and stoked the coal to keep it in the 250 to 270 range.  also, depending on where the hanging is of the meat its going to drip and depending how much moisture is dropping off it could turn "off" those coals as that happened one time to me.  another thing is, depending on where you put the cherry chunks makes a difference too as it could turn "off" the coal as well......which happened to me

my last brisket cooks have just been the point and they have come out fantastic every time.  i took them to about 208 210 and as mentioned, probe goes in like butter and tastes perfect.  not saying you can't do a full packer but try experimenting with different methods and once you learn your cooker it will be all good and fun! 

btw, i was using full basket kb blue, lighter fluid, waiting 20-22 min to drop meat, mesquite chunks, 1/4 open vent, both rebar placed, and a smoke bomb. also, looking forward to seeing pics from your cook!

jason