Author Topic: First brisket on PBC. Not sure what went wrong  (Read 10654 times)

Offline Pappymn

First brisket on PBC. Not sure what went wrong
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »

costco had prime full packers for 3.30/lb in arlington tx last weekend!!!  with that being said i've done 5 packers (from costco) and frankly i like the point much better than the flat so ive just been doing choice points recently.  with the packers i noticed that it took quite a while to cook and i had to keep opening the lid and stoked the coal to keep it in the 250 to 270 range.  also, depending on where the hanging is of the meat its going to drip and depending how much moisture is dropping off it could turn "off" those coals as that happened one time to me.  another thing is, depending on where you put the cherry chunks makes a difference too as it could turn "off" the coal as well......which happened to me

my last brisket cooks have just been the point and they have come out fantastic every time.  i took them to about 208 210 and as mentioned, probe goes in like butter and tastes perfect.  not saying you can't do a full packer but try experimenting with different methods and once you learn your cooker it will be all good and fun! 

btw, i was using full basket kb blue, lighter fluid, waiting 20-22 min to drop meat, mesquite chunks, 1/4 open vent, both rebar placed, and a smoke bomb. also, looking forward to seeing pics from your cook!

jason

Costco Minnesota only sells flats and not at that price. Maybe I need to get into meat arbitrage
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline MikeC01

Re: First brisket on PBC. Not sure what went wrong
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 09:28:46 PM »
I can't comment on the PBC and brisket - but SERIOUSLY????? Costco prime brisket for under $4 a pound???  I live just up the road from the Costco headquarters and it is nearly $7.00 a pound for Choice brisket at our Costco!   You are very lucky to get that kind of a price  :D :D

I can't say I've ever seen PRIME briskets at Costco in the Boston area.  The only prime meat they sell at my Costco are ribeyes and NY strip steaks.  Sometimes they have some rib roasts or some other larger cuts but I've definitely not seen a packer brisket.

Offline SPAM

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 03:03:52 PM »

Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline SPAM

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
Just called my local Costco today and supposedly they have 12-15 pound prime brisket on sale now for 3.39 a pound.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:40:24 PM by SPAM »
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline Pappymn

First brisket on PBC. Not sure what went wrong
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 05:02:34 PM »
SPAM just recked my day. But good for you. No idea why Costco can't be consistent around the country.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »
Wow-

$3.69lb for prime!!!!

I can't even find prime brisket around here. 
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline SPAM

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »
SPAM just recked my day. But good for you. No idea why Costco can't be consistent around the country.

Well Pappy, im not trying to wreck anyones day but here is the deal I got today on 3 of em. 8)
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline SPAM

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 08:15:21 PM »

everybody have a great Memorial weekend!
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:42 PM »
Just saw that HEB in Houston is selling whole packer briskets for $1.77/lb. this weekend. I'm pretty sure it won't be prime, but I'm going to buy the limit of two anyway.

Offline SPAM

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 11:16:24 PM »
Just saw that HEB in Houston is selling whole packer briskets for $1.77/lb. this weekend. I'm pretty sure it won't be prime, but I'm going to buy the limit of two anyway.

Wow! You might need to buy an extra freezer while you're there.
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 11:54:21 PM »

Well Pappy, im not trying to wreck anyones day but here is the deal I got today on 3 of em. 8)

Want to ship me one?  :)

I went to my local Costco today and not only did they not have prime briskets, but the briskets they had looked pretty pathetic.

Offline SPAM

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 12:00:17 AM »
Yeah! my dream road trip...Delivering briskets across country and helping eat em on the trip back. Hmmmm...how can I work this out?!?
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 10:43:06 AM »
I am off to Costco after work to grab a brisket for Saturday.  I am prepared to pay $6.99 a pound for Choice flats that max out at around 9 pounds.  It's all they ever have.  I don't think I have ever seen a whole packer at Costco.  I will report back  8)
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline overground

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
I am off to Costco after work to grab a brisket for Saturday.  I am prepared to pay $6.99 a pound for Choice flats that max out at around 9 pounds.  It's all they ever have.  I don't think I have ever seen a whole packer at Costco.  I will report back  8)

At least here (me 'n SPAM good friends), they don't put the full packers out on display.
You have to ask the Costco butcher for one.

Offline TecCrash

• It's not just the grill smokin...
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »

At least here (me 'n SPAM good friends), they don't put the full packers out on display.
You have to ask the Costco butcher for one.

The plot thickens...   I have to ask my local grocery store to save me a full packer, he cuts them up to put out on the shelves.
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle
Camp Chef Explorer with Griddle
Generic Gasser - GONE - Got something else to store my stuff in.